Model Cars Magazine Forum

How to: Bare Sheetmetal Exposed!

James W

Could you expand on your weld bead technique?

I actually mixed some wheat flour and water based glue. I used toothpick for "welding". After I made those weld beads, I painted them with gun metal and brown to get that rusty outlook.

Any idea on how to replicate the highly polished sheet metal on the famous Star of India Rolls, which is available in 1/8 Pocher and 1/24 Italieri versions? Looks like too much area for BMF to work, and I haven't seen Alclad jobs that are that reflective.

http://allthecars.files.wordpress.com/2009/08/rolls-royce-phantom-ii-1934-star-of-india-01.jpg

Any idea on how to replicate the highly polished sheet metal on the famous Star of India Rolls, which is available in 1/8 Pocher and 1/24 Italieri versions? Looks like too much area for BMF to work, and I haven't seen Alclad jobs that are that reflective.

http://allthecars.files.wordpress.com/2009/08/rolls-royce-phantom-ii-1934-star-of-india-01.jpg

Looks like a job for the chrome platers. Foil would never conform to the front fenders.

That is the coolest thing I've seen in modeling, I think.

One question if I may.. I am still new to modeling and I was wondering how BMF is applied. Is it adhesive-backed or do you glue it? If glue, does regular testors model glue work? I guess that was more than one question...

That is the coolest thing I've seen in modeling, I think.

One question if I may.. I am still new to modeling and I was wondering how BMF is applied. Is it adhesive-backed or do you glue it? If glue, does regular testors model glue work? I guess that was more than one question...

Bare Metal Foil is very thin and has an adhesive already applied so that you just peel it off the backing paper and apply it to the model.

Now 15 people are going to jump in and say that BMF dose not stick or that it goes bad on the shelf at the hobby shop...

I will just say that I have never had adverse problems with the product, it sticks well to clean surfaces and when burnished well with a q-tip stays where you put it. (just read the directions on the package) :P

The photos in this topic show foil that is dated from 2002 and it still works great.

So go to the hobby shop and get some and try it!

Edited by James W