Model Cars Magazine Forum

It wasn't too bad other than the aforemetioned windshield mishap. The frame has been started and painted as were about half the tires assemblies. Half the parts are off the tree (it's a good thing I have a clue as to what goes where).

The duals were completely disassembled and all the old glue removed. I had one tire that whomever cut the star out took half the sidewall with it. The rest were in pretty decent shape other than the overabundance of glue.

The body was squirted with red (and not very well or even completely). I de-burred and sanded what needed to be sanded. A couple coats of primer to seal the red in and here we go.

I painted the body, rear hubs, tanks, air cleaner, visor, and a/c unit bright yellow. The interior will be grey and black. Frame in gloss black.

1b618a2e.jpg

More pics to follow...

Edited by Murphy's Law

Ahhh . . . my first truck model, (it was 1974 I think)

Never could get the stacks to stay mounted to the cab, drove me completely nuts . . .

Can't wait to see your build progress, please post plenty of pics.

Are you planning much detailing?

Best regards,

Wayne

• 2 weeks later...

Quick update-

I used the decals from the "R' Model Mack for markings. Some body detailing and my first try at using Future as a clear coat.

c2116e81.jpg

Frame painted gloss black and engine painted International Flat Grey (really looks like a paint that might have been used).

5b9c27d7.jpg

Putting right along...

Kinda of a test fit...

Started working on an old trailer that is in pieces. Didn't like the color, so I'm laying down some aluminum tape. The ribs are a pain, but a vinyl decal applicator and lots of patience helps. Scratched some taller stacks out of aluminum tubing. Started on a windshield out of a piece of clear stock. It wouldn't be too bad other than that famous curve at the edges.

11f755f7.jpg

Kinda of a test fit...

Started working on an old trailer that is in pieces. Didn't like the color, so I'm laying down some aluminum tape. The ribs are a pain, but a vinyl decal applicator and lots of patience helps. Scratched some taller stacks out of aluminum tubing. Started on a windshield out of a piece of clear stock. It wouldn't be too bad other than that famous curve at the edges.

11f755f7.jpg

Are you still looking for a windshield for your 352? I just happen to have a spare one I found

Getting down to it. I have a windshield on the way, so I hammered on it for a bit this afternoon. A couple more decals to be added, one more coat of Future, and...

I decided to add some half fenders left over from the Can-Do wrecker. I had to trim out alonf the inside front to clear the spring bracket. They're just laying on the rear tires in the pic.

Final test fit:

adb3a1f3.jpg

Edited by Murphy's Law

Chris,

What do you think about the Future? Did you brush or spray? and do you like the results?

I have been using it for a while, and I am impressed with the results , though I wish I could spray it on. I did try putting it in a spray bottle and adjusting the bottle to spray a mist, that doesn't really work though. I have used it on molded color parts and amazed at the shine you get without losing any of the detail like you do with paint.

BTW, she is looking real good!

Tim

It's been so cold here in Nebraska lately that I've only had a couple days for paint. I was very hesitant about trying to spray, so I used a brush. The bigest lesson I found was to use a GOOD brush as a cheap-o has a tendency to shed. I found a couple bristles in the finished product.

I was really really impressed with the outcome. It smoothed itself out with no problems and was very forgiving. And a little went a very long way.

I don't know who came up with the idea, but I'd give them a big hairy kiss. Made my life a bunch easier!