Model Cars Magazine Forum

newbie question on paint

hello,i am kinda new to this stuff. i used to put models together as a kid but that was better than 20 yrs ago....lol. i am working on a 1966 chevelle station wagon. i have been using testors lacquer paints. i have used flaming orange for the base and used gloss lacquer clear as a top coat. i would like to wet sand the finish and spray the testors wet look clear which is also lacquer. it has been about 2 weeks since i sprayed the clear,is it safe to sand and re-clear?

Edited by blueovalfever

you could probably re-clear within the hour with lacquers!!

a good rule of thumb, sniff the body, if you can still 'smell the paint' give it some more time.

thanks...i worked at a restoration shop for over ten years workin on old cars...until july of last year anyway. i had used lacquers there but i didnt know if these were the same as automotive. im used to using the urethanes...wish i could use them on the models..that gets mega shin right out of the gun

what kind of primers do you guys prefer anyways? im hoping to be able to progress in the model building abilities...lol...although when you build $100,000 show cars for people it kind of helps to get realism. i would also like to know where you guys are getting your sanding and polishing stuff

i'm a firm believer in Plasticote sandable primers...T235-236-237-238 grey, black, white, red...

a good 'barrier' for the plastic to accept the hotter automotive lacquers/enamels...i believe you can put 2 part Urethane over anything without any probs... spray away!!