Model Cars Magazine Forum

Snow Plow

There are a few touch ups and other last little things, but I'm calling it done for now. The next step is to get the diorama base and things going and do some final weathering on the plow once it's in its permanent home in the dio. The back of the plow blade is my "proud moment" for this build as I used Testors International orange for the base, then Floquil/Polly Scale reefer orange fogged over it to give it the sun-bleached, discolored look and it turned out perfect. On a whole, it's not a bad kit. The instructions are very poor and need updating, but an experienced modeler can get it figured out.

DSC01802.jpg

DSC01803.jpg

DSC01804.jpg

DSC01805.jpg

DSC01806.jpg

DSC01807.jpg

I doubt a private contractor would be running a rig that size!

They would if they bought it used from a town/city/village. :( The guy across the street from me does just that, and has a '70s Dodge Pickup cab on a shortened (well, bobbed, technically) frame he uses as a plow truck which used to be an ambulance and rescue truck.

The blade looks very realistic with the rust pits. It's interseting to see how far snow plowing technology has come in 30 years.

The weathering looks really good.

If it was me, I'd add some sort of township or village markings on the doors, to make it look like a municipal vehicle. I doubt a private contractor would be running a rig that size!

That's one of the little details I have left to tie up along with the diorama. All of our city trucks are unmarked with the exception of a couple I've seen with a brand new logo recently. I've also got to put DOT #'s on the cab too. I've just got to get to the DOT and take a couple snap shots of the rigs they've got sitting down there.

Thank you for the kind compliments guys. :unsure: True enough, it will have a load of sand/road salt in the back. I just haven't gotten a piece of foam or anything to put back there and cover it yet. I'll be going diorama shopping sometime this week for some needed items, like a couple figures for the diorama, foam, sand in the bed, etc.

That's an excelent looking Louisville Mike, congratulations! I've got the short haul delivery version of this kit which is sitting there only half built. Just a question from the land of curiosity, in Australia, all the Ford Louisville trucks have a stainless steel strip around the grille area on the flat panels to the top and sides of the grile, making the grille look a little bigger than it is. Was this ever done in the US?

Do you have any pics of the engine?, I'd love to see it too!

Thanks, James.

• 4 years later...