Model Cars Magazine Forum

Cobra Daytona Coupe in plastic.

This thread started with a comment on the only kits available being merely high priced curb side renditions. Here we are six years later battling away on the merits of any future kit being impossible because of minute details that any modeler really interested in this subject could over come. When the solution would be a kit no different than the great Grand Sport Corvettes produced by Accurate miniatures. Again a model of five different cars. Hurry up, you can still get one these.

revell-corvette-gs.jpg

A high end kit isn't the answer, we already have several of those. What we need is a kit similar to the Accurate Miniature Corvette Grand Sports.

Edited by Greg Myers

A high end kit isn't the answer, we already have several of those. What we need is a kit similar to the Accurate Miniature Corvette Grand Sports.

So I'll ask you again-where is a manufacturer going to get an accurate Daytona subject car to model?

I'm sure I'm not but thanks.

I would suggest a manufacturer contact the Kirkhams. If they do not agree to allow replication, possibly one of their new Daytona customers would.

As an aside the Kirkhams have built an all billet, aluminum flip-top (The Turd) for Larry Ellison.

As stated, I would but I think the real problem is that manufacturers have concluded there's no business sense to develop this model for such a limited audience.

$$$

As stated, I would but I think the real problem is that manufacturers have concluded there's no business sense to develop this model for such a limited audience.

$$$

And I think they have ample reason. You really don't need to look any further than Accurate Miniatures. Even with several "versions" of the Grand Sport Corvette they ended up selling remaining stock to Revell (no doubt at firesale prices) to rebox. I have no clue what happened or what it took to sell out the McLarens. I'm given to believe, though it could be bad info, that Galaxie still has stock on hand of everything they've done. This doesn't speak well for 'niche markets'

So I'll ask you again-where is a manufacturer going to get an accurate Daytona subject car to model?

Believe it or not, most if not all the original Daytona's exist I think. I had the privilege, back in 1998, to visit a California collector of racing Fords, and he had one of the original Shelby Cobra Daytona GT's in his barn.

Art

Believe it or not, most if not all the original Daytona's exist I think. I had the privilege, back in 1998, to visit a California collector of racing Fords, and he had one of the original Shelby Cobra Daytona GT's in his barn.

Art

That's absolutely true Art. But did you ask him if he'd submit his car to measurement and digitizing?

... and it wasn't worth 4 to 6+ MILLION dollars then. :o

Art

CSX2287, the prototype Daytona Coupe, is just a few miles away from me at the Simeone Museum in Philadelphia.

Where have the diecast companies modeled theirs from? Exoto, Shelby Collectibles have done them in 1:18th, for example...

Exoto offers some 'signature' cars signed by Shelby-still wonder how they got permission?? The Shelby Collectibles may be made by Exoto for all I know. With Shelby the deal is always about money and back-scratching. I don't think GMP makes a Daytona but could be wrong. They do make GT-40s but those permissions would come from Ford.

1/87 scale cars you can carve out of a lump of soap-I don't think they're on anyone's radar. Hot Wheels or HobbyTalk did apparently pay Shelby for licensing however.

Art

You're right Art, so the reference material is out there

Here is the age old "the best for less", but to get volume pricing for a most accurate model just isn't in the cards IMO and sadly even when a small or independent maker produces a high quality kit, then it's price tag $100+ means many modellers never do step up to the plate, and so not enough are sold to offset the efforts & costs involved

post-12003-0-99405500-1370452731_thumb.j

You're right Art, so the reference material is out there

There are SIX. Worth millions each. How much reference do you expect from those owners?

The Kirkham cars are the only possible source for accurate 1:1 material.

And $100+ dollars cost for an accurate kit of decent scale size should not deter a Cobraphile or Shelby builder.

!/32 fighters and 1/35 tanks are easily $75 to $200 and are produced in huge numbers because they sell like crazy.

It's all moot here because the manufacturers won't commit to such a small market.

Daytonas are not models you buy 10 of and paint them rainbow laced-scallop schemes on. With 20" hoops. They are history.

Please elaborate on that cryptic statement.

Not cryptic at all, it means there are other resources with some effort, I have confidential info and photos for vintage Ferrari's from owners & restorers, even auction houses are resources, so it means there is more than just what you see on the internet.

Planning another project like your Vector or F-40? By all means, explore the Cobra world.

I have extensive and long-time contact in the Cobra 1:1 universe, not just web-browsing.

And other than what I outlined here, I don't see cooperative original resources.

A cottage kit maker (not an established manufacturer) also aligns with what I spoke of here.

If Kirkhams or what ever there name is has already scanned a car why do it again? They have all the info you need. I am sure they would sell the info to a model company .The only problem I see is it would be a one run deal . Once us old guys get our three copies who else will want them?

If I remember right, one of the original cars was in a bad wreck and burnt badly.

Personally, I believe the market is bigger than you might guess. The Daytona Coupe is a bit of a holly grail. I lucked into seeing one at the Sebring 12 hours that had appeared in the week ends vintage race. I believe a company such as Tamiya of Fujimi would do quite well with this subject. It is not out of the question for either of them given the various vintage race cars they have already done.

Possibly Cato, I have been gathering my own library of photos & info, and existing examples of models

A client project potentially also

If you have some resource of further info and photos that I could use, please contact me on PM or my FB page even

Thanks! :)

Edited by Jeremy Jon

There are SIX. Worth millions each. How much reference do you expect from those owners?

The Kirkham cars are the only possible source for accurate 1:1 material.

And $100+ dollars cost for an accurate kit of decent scale size should not deter a Cobraphile or Shelby builder.

!/32 fighters and 1/35 tanks are easily $75 to $200 and are produced in huge numbers because they sell like crazy.

It's all moot here because the manufacturers won't commit to such a small market.

Daytonas are not models you buy 10 of and paint them rainbow laced-scallop schemes on. With 20" hoops. They are history.

Heres a source for detailed and accurate drawings for the Daytona. $600. And there is at least as much of a market for this as there is for the Hasegawa 1958 Ferarri 250 Testa Rossa, or Fujimi Ford GT40 http://home.comcast.net/~chuckcobra/Daytona/Index_daytona.htm http://home.comcast.net/~chuckcobra/index.htm

Edited by Darin Bastedo