Model Cars Magazine Forum

What Possesses Us...

Here's a question that I'm dying to know the answer to. We all seem to start projects and then, for whatever reason, they end up tossed back in the box and more kits are started.

I'm wondering why y'all start a project and then set it aside to start something new.

I know for me it can be a range of reasons. Anything from screwing something up and getting frustrated to not being happy with the results so far to just simply losing interest. I have over a dozen projects started on my bench and tossed in various boxes on my shelves and I am trying to make aconscious effort to get them finished.

So why do y'all start a kit and then shelve it for something else?

i make a conscious effort to finish projects i start. it may take a while, but they get finished. at the current time ive only got, lets see, 4 serious projects going and a couple of less serious ones so i pretty much keep to that philosophy.

on the other hand i dont typically do a lot of real extensive customizing or scratchbuilding so the level of effort is somewhat less than many here.

ive also got 3 1:1 projects going so im still spread pretty thin sometimes.

I dont build models to replicate or build box stock, so that leaves me to modifying. Once I see how my idea looks I quickly lose interest and stop building.

I've been working on a box stock Porsche GT3 for over a year, it needs about an hour of work, but I just dont have any motivation to work on it right now. Just like 10 other projects I have going.

Mostly in my case, I run into a scratchbuilding impasse in tha mind, kinda like a long distance runner runs into "Tha Wall!"...So I stop tha project and start another, problem is as I build I think of some other thang I can do to it and that means more time strategizing how to accomplish tha project, such as my mid-60s Late Model Fantasy. A 55 Chubby Hardtop....started in tha mid 80s wid a 396 and tha wheels offn D. Waltrips ASA Camaro.....I've redone tha rear axle into a Franklin Engineering 10 spline, redone tha roll cage twice, painted tha body in tha 90s, changed tha wheels twice, got sum resin wheels from Early Racing Classics and now have a 327/366 ci ...still not done, but ###### it's getting to weigh as much as a diecast with all tha metal I've been adding and oh yeah it has an aluminum beer barrel gas tank now!

I simply call it "modeler's ADD". The grass is always greener...or something like that. One reason that I attempt to only seriously work on one project at a time. It takes little for a new kit to get attention over one that's already familiar. When I'm building I'm rather manic, as I don't want to lose steam. If it sits too long, it's often forgotten.

I went to build a model during Thanksgiving. I ended up spending 2 solid days reorganizing my wheels/tires stash :oops: :) Haven't built anything since September.

Brian,

You mean you are supposed to FINISH a model? LOL ! I hear your pain and can relate 100%!

I have models that I started 5-8 years ago that are still waiting for that last hour or two of finish work to be done. I have started 4 or 5 kits in the last 6 months, only to put them to the side and begin another because I get a great idea for it.

My New Years resolution is to complete what I have started already BEFORE I break the seal on another kit. My other resolution is to NOT buy another kit until I have completed my current projects and thinned out my collection of excess kits (This will be hard as my Mother-In-Law gave me a $25 Hobby Lobby gift card last night and they are having a 30% off sale! She's trying to get me , I know it!).

Just try to do what you can and most of all- Enjoy yourself, it's just a hobby!

Happy New Year!

Mike

• 2 weeks later...

I start so many NASCAR builds because spray painting is my favorite part...Unfortunatly, chassis are considerably lower in that regard!!

I have cars I painted and decaled back in 04, when I started Building NASCAR, that go unfinished just simply for the fact that they are at the Chassis building stage and I would rather paint and decal!

I usually set street cars aside because I screw something up on them...

That question came up on another board a few days ago. Here's my thoughts on it...

The last time I was truly excited about a build was a certain 29 pickup (that you may vaguely remember) everything about that project seemed inspired, cool, easy, etc... Although I've built quite a few since then, they've all been "interesting" projects. My most recent project, a 32 Vicky, has that old feeling about it. I'm constantly thinking about the next part of the build, planning for the next step, daydreaming new ideas, picturing the finished model, etc...

Yeah, inspiration is the key! I realize most of my projects die because something didn't work out right, that color sucked, that ride height is wrong... Comes right down to it, they were only interesting, not inspired.

Thats my story and I'm sticking to it!

I have had many projects started and some unfinished.

The picture here of my Mack was a good example.

I started it with a hiss and a roar untill I struck the problems with the twinsteer setup.

I put this project away many times untill I got fed up seeing it unfinished.

I used all my stuborn pigheadedness to finish it and now I'm proud to have it up on the shelves with its other trucks to keep it company instead of being shoved in a box in the dark cuboard unfinished.

Cheers

John Wilson

My problem I think is no matter how hard I try to complete a kit I just can't do it without some modifications. Then it turns into a major project that stays in the building/incomplete stage forever! A good example is I found some PL 64 GTO's on closeout and thought I could get out of my slump. Well one thing led to another and after detailing the interior with paint and giving the engine some details it seemed like a natural to go ahead and backhalf it with a Chevelle Pro Street chassis so my quickie turned into a not-so-quickie. Just like all the rest!