Model Cars Magazine Forum

A look at the controversial Camaro wheels

ismaelg

It's usually not a problem to fix this stuff, but to send it out to get chrome-plated and wait for it? I never wanted to build that particular kit, but now that I've seen this, I would not be to happy to add parts that should have been decent (at least better than Joe Blow's Resin) to my already huge holding pattern of chrome plating stuff. Anything but chrome parts would be OK with me, I can build nearly anything but I'm not a chrome plater.

Mike

The part thats troubling,is that the fix is a few keystrokes on the press while its running.

Sink marks are either not enough plastic in the mold,or (more than likely) they didn't "compress" the plastic in the mold after filling it.Think of it like when you're blowing up a baloon,when it gets harder to force air into the baloon,thats the same as the final stage of mold filling.All they have to do is alter when that happens and the sink marks are gone.

I've now seen a third Camaro kit in person w/wheels like the two I have; the sink marks are nothing like Ismael's.

Since some examples are far better than others, the fix is at the factory-they need to adjust the the mold cycle. They're likely churning them out way too quickly. AMT needs to know of the problem, some how, some way.

Sad that AMT's customer service isn't; you have to do the legwork to return the product to where you bought it and hope that you get a better replacement. Those wheels that have the deep sink marks should have been factory rejects and not sold to the customer. Yeah, some of us find it easier/less hassle to simply fill and sand vs. the hassle of driving/sending a kit for return, but reality is that parts that poor should not have been sold to a customer.

Your Camaro wheels are the worst I've seen, Ismael, regarding the sink marks. I bought two of the Camaro concept car kits, and neither were like yours.

I built the first kit as the Camaro concept car, and the wheel in that kit were O.K.

The wheels in the second kit had only couple minor sink marks. And, since I converted it to represent my interpretetion of how I think a concept car for the rumoured 2009 Monte Carlo would appear (which is supposed to be built on the Camaro platform). I drilled and filed large holes, at about a 45 degree angle, outward, on each wheel spoke near the rim. I painted the insides of the holes flat black, along with the grooves on the spokes near the lugnuts. In doing so, I was able to salvage thr wheels, and it totally changed the appearance of the wheels to the point that they are like a new design. What's more, they look great on the modified car - 2009 Mone Carlo concept car. And, they would look good on the Camaro, as well.

There's an idea for you, Ismael!

All the Best!

Patrick

the rumoured 2009 Monte Carlo would appear (which is supposed to be built on the Camaro platform). Patrick

I don't mean to hijack this thread.........but the Monte (unfortunately) is history after '08. :lol: This is to make way for an all new RWD Impala for '09 or '10. It's to be built on a stretched Zeta platform.

The only other rear drive coupe besides the Camaro may be a GTO for Poncho.........and a new Cadillac CTS 2 door hardtop coupe.

There is no excuse for those wheels to be dimpled.........whether the builder has the ability to correct the problem or not does not excuse the manufacturer for this gross result. Sink marks come from running the mold at too great a speed so that the plastic does not have enough time to cool before being ejected from the mold. Running the rest of the kit at high speed, to be economically feasible, is one matter, but, the chrome shot is run at a separate time and speed is not necessary. The chrome shot is added to the kit, after plating, at the molding machine when the shot is placed into the kit box. If the mnaufacturer deems it necessary to run the chrome at an accellerated pace he should core out the back-side of the wheel spokes. This would help aleviate the sink marks.

bob :shock:

No excuses, poor QC, you would not see this on a Tamiya or japanese kit, no pride taken on the manufacturing of this kit and many others. Yes, I also feel good when I make an imperfect model look good but there is just no excuse for this :cry: I will Alclad mine either way but these people are going to have to sacrifice quantity for quality and unfortunately America cares more about how many kits they can sell versus how well they can make them...........

Yes, Bill!

I had heard both scenarios - but, which one can anyone count on, from G.M.

Being the eternal optimist, and a Monte Carlo enthusiast (having owned 4 of them over the years - my 2006 Monte Carlo SS to be replaced by a 2007 Monte Carlo SS when it arrives in two weeks), I can only hope that G.M. will continue to build some very nice two-door cars (this being the only two-door American car in its class).

Who knows, Bill! By 2009, G.M.'s plans could change a dozen times before they actually make a "sensible" decision.

All the Best!

Patrick