Model Cars Magazine Forum

Plastic Surgery for the 1/8th "Big T"

GrandpaMcGurk

Hey Guys, I bought one of those Dremel drill presses. The ones you mount your normal dremel tool to. I have started using it to drill out all the holes for the bolts in all my rapid prototype parts. I hold the model part in two hands and move it toward the drill bit, instead of using the drill press in its normal fashion.

Since I have started using this technique I have not busted out the side of any hole I have drilled and believe me I have drilled out some very delicate holes.

Cool...I'll give it a try next go around. I bought one the Dremel things months ago and it's still in the box. I usually go to my shop size drill press for those tasks and didn't want to risk tossing the RP part across the room at a high velocity, that's why I used the tried and true pin vice. I'll give the Dremel mount a go and see if it works for me.....sure would speed things up a bit. Nice going Tim.

Being I do pretty much all my modeling in large scale those itty bitty overpriced "hobby" spray cans come up way short of of making me a happy hobbist.

There never seems to be quite enough paint in the can and they spit and sputter at the worst possible times....not cool!

This is a budget build so I'm not going to drag out the airbrush, when I use rattle cans I shop at Wally World or the local auto parts store for real world rattle cans. In my never ending search for "chrome" paint this is the best I've found. it's Dupli-Color chrome. It has a very fine spray pattern and dries quickly, it only needs 10 minutes between coats and in my mind looks great. Not exactly chrome, but better than anything else I've used...it's cheap, shiny, lots of paint in one can and user friendly....what more could you ask for?

Achrome004.jpg

I've tried Future floor wax, polishing, clear coats etc. on this stuff and all it accomplishes is to make it look more like polished aluminum than chrome, I'm only saying this so that you don't waste your time thinking it'll get shinier...it will look like other metal finishes but no gain in shine. Here's a tip...after you spray your final coat, put it away to gas out and cure...if you handle it, it will dull. I usually let it set for 4 or five days before I install the parts and they stay nice and shiny.

Achrome001-1.jpg

Achrome002.jpg

Achrome003.jpg

Edited by GrandpaMcGurk

To paraphrase Dorothy Gale from Kansas (and her little dog, too)...

There's no paint like chrome... there's no paint like chrome... there's no paint like chrome...

But this does come fairly close!

LOL....the key word here is "affordable"....the stuff in this link really does look like chrome, but the start up system is around 3k...way outside my hobby budget.

http://www.sprayonchrome.com/index2.html

Edited by GrandpaMcGurk

They sell a pint of "Magic Chrome" for $175.00. But does it really work? Maybe I can figure a way to get down there - it's about 1.5 - 2 hours south.

I sent an email to Spectra Chrome in an attempt to go down and check them out. If they agree, I'll bring some plain stuff and try to get them chromed.

There're other places that offer spray chrome if you do a google.

Edited by crazyjim

Update - Sprectra Chrome wasn't too interested in having me down there for such a small application. I was told though that their Magic Chrome is closer to a polished aluminum rather than chrome. The Spectra Chrome is the real chrome look and is a water based system (heard that before?). The cheapest kit for Spectra Chrome is about $2500.00. Maybe I'll try the DupliColor chrome.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi gang....I haven't posted in this thread for a few as my trusty ol' Nikon took a dump.

I'll get a new camera sometime next week and post some more pics of the XK engine...it's stating to look pretty good, at least to me. Just wanted to let you guys know that this thread isn't dead.

For those of you that were concerned about Mario...he's fine....the earthquakes left a trail of destruction in the aftermath but he'll be back posting with us soon.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Haven't posted in this thread lately as I've been tied up with a with a TDR project. I needed a break from that so I thought I'd tinker a little with the XK engine.

The first photo shows an old style center bolt oil filter which would probably be more appropriate if I was building a "period correct" engine.

It's too big and clunky for what I'm trying to accomplish.

The one on the right is a little more modern in that it's a spin on cartridge type (I swiped it from a TDR 426 kit).

I have limited space between the "T" frame rails so I shortened the 426 oil can by about a 1/16".

JagStarteretc001.jpg

The rest of these pics show the starter, oil filter and exhaust for the turbos installed.

I have to go back and do a little touch up on the paint here and there, sprinkle on a few bolt heads and do some basic wiring.

The oil pan won't be finished or painted until the rest of the engine is done, I don't want to scuff up the finish on it as I'm using it for a temporary engine stand. LOL

JagStarteretc004.jpg

JagStarteretc008.jpg

JagStarteretc009.jpg

JagStarteretc010.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

I haven't posted in this thread for a while as I've been butt deep in the Cuda project. Rather than risk "fish" burn out, I figured I'd tinker with this car for a few.

Got to thinking, ya I know that's scary. I had intended to use a casting of my C-cab for this build....but there are other bodies to be cast before it sees the light of day.

Stepped back and did some squinting at this engine....by the time I get an inter-cooler mounted over the covers and all the plumbing...this is going to be one, shall we say "different" looking heater.

Rather than hold this project up I've started a scratch built frame and I'll scratch build a custom "'70's era body from sheet styrene etc.

I'll post builds pics of the frame and body as I muddle through if any of you care to see them.

great work here, nice to see these in progress, i'd love to build one but where do you put the thing when it is done.

Interesting comment. I think many modelers would really like to tackle a biggie but are put off by the fact that they are large and require a fair amount of real estate to display if they are so inclined.

Many folks rent or live in apartments, etc. and simply don't have the room, there's always that "larger" cost thing to be considered also.

I can rationalize myself out of the cost factor.

With small kits blowing a hole in a twenty dollar bill and usually disappointing me in the detail & scale dept......it's easy for me to justify a hundred bucks for a biggie.

You get a lot more bang for your buck with the big kits, detail, decent scaling plenty of room for those little extra special details.

Besides....the large stuff (at least in my case) is more satisfying than doing several smaller kits and not being able add the little details I'd like to simply because they would be too small for me to deal with.

As far as where to put them goes......you could have a display case with twenty or so small cars in it....that's cool and I'm sure folks would look at them and say that's cool beans.

However, if you take the same display case and put say 2 or 3 biggies in it.....man, you can see the detail in them from across the room.

Instead of cool beans comments you'll have viewers wanting a closer look and asking questions.

Is big scale right for you? Dunno.

Try your hand at super detailing a large scale engine to see if you like working with the big stuff. After all, a stand alone engine doesn't take any more space than a 1/25th car.

Is big scale right for you? Dunno.

Try your hand at super detailing a large scale engine to see if you like working with the big stuff. After all, a stand alone engine doesn't take any more space than a 1/25th car.

The nice thing about the TDR engines is that they pretty well stand on their own w/o needing a mount and 1/8 is a great scale for detailing.

IMG_3033-vi.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
... the large stuff (at least in my case) is more satisfying than doing several smaller kits and not being able add the little details I'd like to simply because they would be too small for me to deal with.

As far as where to put them goes ... if you take the same display case and put say 2 or 3 biggies in it.....man, you can see the detail in them from across the room.

Got any pics of your display area Don ? I'd LOVE to see it !!!!!

Heres mine ... these are ALL 1/8 scale ...

100_28381-vi.jpg

... except the top row, there 1/25 ...

Edited by old-hermit

Very impressive Al and thanks for your interest in what I have been or am doing.

My models (the ones I haven't sold, given away or caniblized) are stored in boxes under beds and in closets.....why?

Because I've moved my wife's feathered kids (2 large Amazon parrots) into the computer/office room. The vacant room has been gutted and is well on it's way to being my new hobby room. When it's done and the shevles etc. are in I'll gladly post pics just for you.

BTW.....what scale is that Merc in your photo, you mentioned that other than the top shelf the cars were 1/8th.......the sled looks a little small compared to the other cars. Maybe it's just the photo or my tired eyes?

I was flipping through an old issue of Hot Rod magazine and this car caught my eye, looks kinda like an old depot hack running a Jag engine.

At any rate, I'm overdue for a little wood working so using this as my "inspiration" I'll see if I can cobble up my own version along these lines. This project is a lot of fun for for me...it just keeps morphing and stays interesting as it goes along.

AHack.jpg

Yes, it has been posted on LSM before.

There are only three that exist and I'm very lucky to have one.

PS,

the wheelbase length on a 1/1 Mercury is 118 inches (center in pic)

the wheelbase length on a 1/1 Deuce is 106 inches (left in pic)

the wheelbase length on a 1/1 Firebird is 108.2 inches (right in pic)

the wheelbase length on a 1/1 57 Chevy is 115 inches (far right in pic)

So the Merc is very close to scale.

Edited by old-hermit

Don, I really like the woody. Do it!

Al, is that Merc the one that was floating around LSM a few years ago?

Rick, Ive started laying out the body on paper to use as a pattern for the wood.....nothing fancy here, just woood strips and L.H.S. materials.

I will post the hand drawn patterns and dimensions as I go along if you guys would like to print them out & build a hack of your own at some time.