Model Cars Magazine Forum

Revell 57 BEL AIR 2 door post

Phildaupho

Exactly correct. that was one of the shortcomings of the old AMT '57 kit. While the fact that the cove trim was decalized did make it easier to build a 210, it still never looked quite right.

Besides, could you just sand the cove trim off the Revell body to build a 210? Or, buy the 150 kit and rework the side trim to 210 configuration, like Lyle did?

Yes, I tried what Lyle did and I'm not as good as he is and it didn't work for me. What I have done is scrape, file and sand the Belair trim off. It was a pain but I got it done. I am happy that I have this kit that's for sure. I just wish it was easier to do. Just my skills I guess. Dan

Picked up one of these today ... really nice kit and a nice addition to Revell's Tri-5 Chevy lineup. The 20" steel wheels w/ smoothie caps are a very cool addition. And, while they aren't mentioned in the instructions, the six-lug steelies from the 150 are still in the box.

While I'm sure we'll hear the predictable groans of "Not another '57 Chevy!" I'm really glad Revell is doing these kits. While there certainly have been no shortage of '57 kits over the years, none have been without their foibles. In terms of body proportions, Revell's kits have all the others skinned, IMO.

Lots of kitbashing possibilities with this one, too ... one obvious one is to grab the Rochester FI unit from the 150 kit to build a fuelie Bel Air. And, if one wanted to build a really first-class Bel Air hardtop, how about mating the body from the Revell snap kit with the chassis, running geat and interior from this one?

You won't hear any groaning from me! I can never have enough '57 Chevy kits, I can't wait till this one arrives at my door, it looks to be the best proportioned '57 Belair to date! It only took over 40 years to get one right! Now I hope Revell stays on a roll and gives us a decent '57 Nomad and a correct '56 Belair hardtop!

Seeing as how the model companies are the ones paying the licensing fees to Ford and GM, I would say that it's actually the other way around.

I know. I was just kidding! :blink:

But come on... there are about a bazillion cars out there, and all we get are '32 Fords and '57 Chevies? Over and over and over and over again... :D

How about a Hudson? (I know, we're supposed to get one this year... I'll believe it when I see it). How about a Kaiser? A Nash? A '50s Packard, maybe a Caribbean? A Studebaker that ISN'T "Miss Deal." A DeSoto? A Tucker?

By now the '57 Chevy guys have been catered to, the '32 Ford guys also. Maybe it's time to "think outside the box" and start issuing some kits of significant American cars that have NEVER been kitted before. There are plenty of possibilities.

Too much to ask? B)

How about a well detailed and accurate kit of a Fox Bodied Mustang (1979-1993) that actually fits well? C'mon...the Revell 93 Cobra has the chassis plate from the 1979 Pace car and doesn't even mate to the Cobra body sides for Gods sake. Don't even get me started on the complete LACK of rear wheelwells, the crappy engine bay (looks almost nothing like the real car), and junk suspensions in the many re-issues of these kits. Hello Revell, 1980 called and it wants its' crappy detail back. Talk about an iconic car that is underlooked in scale; 1982 saw the re-introduction of the 302 (now called the HO 5.0) and horsepower was back on the table. It outran everything from the other domestic manufacturers that year (and for many more years to come might I add). Fast forward to 1987 (with respect and love to the 1983-86 guys) when the new body style came out, coupled with the carry-over 86 SEFI and 8.8", dual exhaust drivetrain/powertrain.........with its upgraded E7TE heads and revised intake, it was a killer on the streets and the strips. 1989 saw MAF nationwide added, and it suddenly became a very adaptable Musclecar. From those days forward, it brought muscle back to American auto manufacturers and did for the 302 what Chevy did with the 350.........made it cheap and easy to modify.

Not knocking the 57 Chevy or the 32 Ford mentioned above, but if you are going to talk about Iconized cars.......the Fox Mustang can rightly take its' place among them.

Edited by whale392

Returning this thread to its original intent, discussion of the new Revell '57 Bel Air post kit ...

I just did some checking, and it appears the side cove trim panels from the Model Car Garage '57 Chevy photoetch set will fit this kit's body like a glove.

worthless.gif:rolleyes:

You won't hear any groaning from me! I can never have enough '57 Chevy kits, I can't wait till this one arrives at my door, it looks to be the best proportioned '57 Belair to date! It only took over 40 years to get one right! Now I hope Revell stays on a roll and gives us a decent '57 Nomad and a correct '56 Belair hardtop!

I'd rather have a correct '56 Bel-Air Sedan, than another Hardtop.

I know. I was just kidding! :P

But come on... there are about a bazillion cars out there, and all we get are '32 Fords and '57 Chevies? Over and over and over and over again... ;)

How about a Hudson? (I know, we're supposed to get one this year... I'll believe it when I see it). How about a Kaiser? A Nash? A '50s Packard, maybe a Caribbean? A Studebaker that ISN'T "Miss Deal." A DeSoto? A Tucker?

By now the '57 Chevy guys have been catered to, the '32 Ford guys also. Maybe it's time to "think outside the box" and start issuing some kits of significant American cars that have NEVER been kitted before. There are plenty of possibilities.

Too much to ask? :D

We can all hope for our favorite kit that isn't yet released, but we all know it's volume, not something unique & different that sells models, & until we can get about a bazillion people to send in requests for these other desired kits, it's likely they'll never see the light of day.

Returning this thread to its original intent, discussion of the new Revell '57 Bel Air post kit ...

I just did some checking, and it appears the side cove trim panels from the Model Car Garage '57 Chevy photoetch set will fit this kit's body like a glove. You'll still need to sand the recessed areas of the side trim smooth, but, I think the effort will be well worth it. The PE parts will look MUCH better than paint.

The MCG set also has lot of other items that can be put to good use on this kit, including overlays for the hash mark trim on the upper front quarter panels, and "Fuel Injection" scripts for those planning to rob the FI unit from the 150 kit.

I've had this PE laying around for years ... I'm really glad now that I didn't use it earlier! :D

Does this meant that those of us that still have a few of AMT's Pro Modeler '57 with the P.E. side coves can use them on this kit?

That is, unless, you want to seek out one of the old Revell "builder's nightmares." :P

I think that's one of the definite bonuses of Revell doing all these new Tri-5 Chevys ... the fact that those horrible old kits are unlikely to ever see the light of day again! :D;)

The old Revell '56 2dr sedan w/ trim for the 150/210/Bel Air (molded in metallic green, 1978 vintage) was the first glue kit I ever built as a kid. 'Bad Dream' indeed. I have the '80s 'Hot Rod' issue Revell '55 ht and '57 Nomad.

Luckily, I've been able to avoid the Monogram 1:24th tri-fives, all of which have proportion issues as far as I can tell..

Edited by Rob Hall

• 2 weeks later...

Back in the day this is the EXACT car I drove; it started as a 283 powerslide and when I was done with her it was a 301 3 speed Hurst. At the time I felt "poor" as I was the only guy around with the Bel Air 2 dr post. Never thought I would see this in 1/25! I am building it again- in scale this time! White/Surf Green. Thanks Revell!

Russ