Model Cars Magazine Forum

Where ya goin' Hot foot?

on land-180 in a viper going around texas motor speedway in 2004 at the viper track experience.

on water- 100 in a custom built puddle jumper with a blown bbc powering it.

in 7 seconds- 120 on the back of my cousins suzuki 600(dont remember the name :P )

by myself- 110, i had to let up off the gas because the 'vettes rear starting acting like it was going to break loose :blink:(thats actually the same day i destroyed my pinion gear!)

in a plane-almost 600 mph in a boeing 747 on my way to hawaii :D

One thing i want to do before i dye is to drive a jet car and go over 300 mph. :rolleyes:

How fast have you driven a land vehicle? or even as a passenger how fast have you gone?

The fastest for me is 118 mph. on my Kawasaki 650.

I have had my 2004 Chevy Cavalier up to 110 mph. a few times and its more scary than the bike at that speed.LOL

Well I don't really know for sure had my 71 Cutlass speedo all the way back to the R . The speedo went to 120 still had throttle and it was still climbing but was running out of highway so I had to let off. I figured I was doing between 130 and 140 at that time. Did 125 in my mom's 2000 Olds intrigue that is when the computer wouldn't let it go any faster. The speedo read 160 on it. Alos had my 76 cutlass at 120 a couple times.

mine was all true

you just had to pay close attention and keep in mind that most european cans have the speedos in kilometers per hour rather then miles B)

That's what I am thinking. The guy was looking at KPH. :blink: Otherwise it doesn't add up.

In 2005 I got to drive my Chrysler Concord n Lowes Motor speedway. Got up to 100 mph pretty quick , awsome rush for me, but didn't push it ant further, had to drive home! A bigger accomplishment was getting my 1984 Hyundai Excel close to 90 mph on a long stretch of straight hiway just outside Edmonton, Canada. That thing was held together with more duct tape, kite string, epoxy, bondo, chewing gum.well you get the idea.............

Im not sure exactly how fast it was. In an 1985 Camaro, I had the speedometer roll back around to about 15 and it only went to 85. Im not sure if it was accurate having gone back around to the start of the dial, but if ficure at least 130 or so if it isnt. I was a little scary, as i was only 18 and didnt have the $$$ to take care of the car very well.

You guys doing 140 on 2 wheels scare me! :blink:

I used to travel up the Northway to Plattsburg, NY a lot for engineering duties at a paper mill. Many times it was because the machine was down and they needed us to get it running again. so time was an issue during the 4 hour drive. My Porsches during that period were pushing 130 many times. The Engineering manager at the mill would actually pay my speeding tickets and took delight asking how many I got on the way there. :blink:

During one more casual 10 mph over trip up the Northway a jerk in a Mustang kept passing me and slowing down so I have to pass to keep a constant speed. You;ve all seen this guy. So I popped up to about 110 and got some distance between us. I was slowing with foot off the gas entering an S curve in the highway and on the straight stretch saw a trooper in the median on the last curve facing me. I was just coming down pass 100 and KNEW I was dead. My foot was on the brake all the way past him, but he NEVER moved!!! I swear I saw the sun glint off a glaised donut on the dash as I passed.

Edited by Foxer

About 140 in a 2010 Ferrari California(top was down)Felt like it had a LOT more.

Lucky dog! That would be because it does have a lot more :blink:

Shame that it's so blindingly ugly :blink: At least they made the car go like stink.

Don't mind me though...I've rarely had such lustful thoughts as I've had over the 458 Italia :blink:

With my leadfoot, I tend to hit the govenor on pretty much every car I've owned. Most of the time it's at 95mph (stupid govenor...)

Long ago, I was racing a Trans Am with a '78 Ford F150 with a camper shell and then noticed the speedo was all the way around back up to 35... That's about 150 with bias belted tires. I bet that TA was wondering WTF!!! Also had a friend's Maseratti Gran Sport well over 100 but didn't want to push it. Not my car and all that. My brother wouldn't let me drive his new GTO. He new I'd run it hard and fast...

After I graduated high school, I had an 84 Trans Am (still have it actually) that I built a somewhat hopped up 350 for. I'd say it was making somewhere around 375hp. It used to run neck and neck with my friend's Buick skylark that ran 12.90 @ 106.

Anyway, at the time, it had 373's in the rear with the factory T5 trans and stock tire size (not sure what it was, 205 65 r15 maybe?) and I had it up to about 5,600 rpm in 5th gear. I figure I had to be going 135+. Hard to tell with the 85mph speedo.

I wanted to try and redline the tach, but the car started to feel rather "floaty" and I decided to keep my life while I still could...

I never have and never will do that again! Funny, the things you'll do when you're young and "not so smart" :D

I resisted the urge to comment on a couple of them, but I did some quick math and found out there are several V8s in this thread that can apparently spin up to 9500rpm in top gear!

LOL Reminds me of the part in "Gone in 60 Seconds" towards the end when he's being chased in the mustang.

It shows a camera shot of the tach that's up to 8 or 9 grand, I forget. But then he hits the nitrous and the car mysteriously goes like 40mph faster!

I resisted the urge to comment on a couple of them, but I did some quick math and found out there are several V8s in this thread that can apparently spin up to 9500rpm in top gear!

You can spin them to infinity... :lol: once :D

Others just don't have the drag coefficient to be practical no mater how much hp.

Edited by CAL

Guess I’ll try to add some legitamacy to this thread...

From heresy:

My ‘72 Chevy Impala had a 450hp/460trq Racing Head Service built 383 small block. With it’s 2.73 gears, I saw the 120mph speedo “buried†many times. Friends riding with me timed “flying†miles (from mile marker to next marker) in under 30 seconds with stopwatches FWIW. It would run over 90mph in second gear. As others have said, pretty crazy to drive a car like this at those speeds... Ah, what you do when you’re young...

Here’s a pic of it doing what it did best...

Hooptie-vi.jpg

On video:

Talladega “fan appreciation day†Sept 20th 2009.

1997 Lincoln Mark VIII LSC. Rolling start of about 20mph to a tick over 115mph. Caught the pack that was going approx 80mph pretty fast.

WARNING: Some “adult†language in below video thanks to Tommy May riding in back seat...CLICK AT OWN RISK!

From Richard Petty Driving Experience at Talladega:

Have a certificate at home that says I drove 164.73mph. Don’t know if that’s “real†or not, felt a lot faster than the Lincoln laps. Much more stable as well. Rode along in the cars as well. They say those are running over 170.

On water:

Since it was brought up... Now I get my speed kicks (when it gets warmer) with a Sugar Sand Tango jet boat. 210hp two stroke Mercury V6. Book sez it only goes a bit over 50mph, but planes in 1.5 seconds. It’s got “OS†handles all over it, ‘cause you need ‘em!

IMG_0582.JPG

Hurry up Springtime! B)

Fastest EVER? - 168.xxx mph (have the data log somewhere) on the straight @ Watkins Glen in a Race Prepped C4 'Vette. This was before the chicane @ the end to slow you down too. it got really light on the hill so i backed off, but probably had enough straight left to top 180 mph.

On the street? GPS verified 128 mph in my '98 Dodge Dakota R/T. Did you ever wonder how aerodynamic the Chrysler Building is in NYC? It's about the same as the Dakota.

Also been speedo indicated 130+ in the Saab. nothing fancy, just felt like 75mph, except the dotted lines go by alot quicker...

I cant imagine getting a c4 corvette over 150 mph. ive had mine up to 90 and the back felt like it starting to fish tail, so i let off. I like my car to much to flip it :D

An even 100 mph in a 73 audi 100ls.Bumper to bumper with my friends chevelle. 16 yrs old and it's amazing I'm not dead. That,however was fun.nowhere as scary as doing 85 in the fiat 128 sport we had. That thing shook rattled and I let up on the gas before it rolled!

115+ in a 59 Impala back in 67. 125+ in a 70 Chevelle SS396 (402). 115+ in a 2002 Z28. The Chevelle scared the heck out of me it was so quick. The 59 scared me at first cause we heard stories of them getting light in the rear because of the fins back there. The stories were wrong that's fer sure, that car just hugged the ground over 100 mph. The Z28 could have gone faster but I just let off the gas. :P Dan

I cant imagine getting a c4 corvette over 150 mph. ive had mine up to 90 and the back felt like it starting to fish tail, so i let off. I like my car to much to flip it :P

There must have been something seriously wrong with yours. 150 was not only easily achievable, but also comfortable enough to sustain over long stretches of road. The only annoying thing was the noise. The side windows started to lift at speeds over 120.