Model Cars Magazine Forum

CLEAR PARTS AND 91% ALCHOL ?????

I have a clear hood from the original 67 MPC Dodge Charger and It was painted black,I put it in Castrol Super clean (aka purple power) and it took most of the paint off with damaging the hood,Now ......All the paint didn't come off so can I soak it 91 % Isopropyl achohol and mabye get the rest of what paint is left without hurting the hood,Thanks Randy

You can sand the hood to get rid of the rest of the paint. Start with 1200 grit and work up through 2400 or 2600. It should be easy to polish it back to a nice shine from there. I have sanded clear (full size) tail lights with 800 grit and then simply clear-coated them. Brings them back to a beautiful clear shine.

Mark S.

You can sand the hood to get rid of the rest of the paint. Start with 1200 grit and work up through 2400 or 2600. It should be easy to polish it back to a nice shine from there. I have sanded clear (full size) tail lights with 800 grit and then simply clear-coated them. Brings them back to a beautiful clear shine.

Mark S.

Thanks fella's,just wasn't sure with the ALCHOHOL since this is a rather older part.Going to soaak it a little more then get the LMG Kit out for the final,I appreciate your input,Randy