Model Cars Magazine Forum

Moulin Rouge GTX FINISHED 12/29

93Z34

Believe it or not, I FINALLY have gotten to the point of putting the finishing touches on this GTX. Again, this kit was started back in 1990 from one of the original issue GTX's with the "Metal Glo" finish that came with the little envelope of Turtle Wax.

I originally wanted to just finish this project in a semi box stock configuration, but that went to heck once I started thinking of how easy it would be to add some detail to the 6-Pack engine. I added plug wires, ignition coil, vacuum hoses, heater hoses, and brake lines to the engine compartment. I know I could have added more, but with this detail, the engine compartment looks a bit "busier" than a box stock compartment and it adds to the realism. With the air cleaner being as large as it is, if I added carb linkages and the like chances are they would be hidden from view anyways.

If you follow along with the thread, you'll see the car was painted Moulin Rouge, which, according to the documentation I could find, was one of the rarest colors ordered in 1970 on the GTX. The interior is flocked and I tried to replicate the overspray on the chassis and so forth as well.

This was another project I enjoyed immensely once I got back into building again. The one HUGE downfall is that I lost the Air Grabber scoop for the hood, hence the pics were taken with the hood removed. If anyone has a spare Air Grabber scoop, I would be interested in trading for it to be ble to finish this thing fully. I also only installed the driver side rearview mirror as the dual mirrors were an option back in 1970 and not many cars came with the passenger side mirror.

Anyways, I hope y'all like the pics so far.

70PlymouthGTX009.jpg

70PlymouthGTX008.jpg

70PlymouthGTX007-1.jpg

70PlymouthGTX012.jpg

70PlymouthGTX011.jpg

70PlymouthGTX010.jpg

70PlymouthGTX015-1.jpg

70PlymouthGTX014-1.jpg

70PlymouthGTX010-1.jpg