Model Cars Magazine Forum

Sox & Martin 72 Duster

Old Buckaroo

I have been wanting to build up several of the S&M cars for many years now. I had a Jo Han S&M Cuda that was missing the body and the AMT 71 Duster for the project. Starting with the Jo Han Hemi the first thing was to plug the hole in the block for the original kits axle. I ended up hacking up the oilpan to get it to clear the steering and add capacity. Turning it around would of been much easier if it had not been assembled 30 some years ago with tube glue.

I also sawed off the molded on bell housing and used a "lakewood style" from a "Rampage Camaro" kit , added some strip styrene to cover the open frame rails.

P2080007.jpg

P2080008.jpg

The Trunk floor was cut out to eliminate the spare tire well and molded in fueltank. Also the rear frame rails have been moved in to accommodate the narrower Jo Han Cuda Axle Housing

P2080009.jpg

Lots of test fitting has been needed

P2080012.jpg

P2090016.jpg

Thanks for looking in till next time.

Edited by Sean D

I have been wanting to build up several of the S&M cars for many years now. I had a Jo Han S&M Cuda that was missing the body and the AMT 71 Duster for the project. Starting with the Jo Han Hemi the first thing was to plug the hole in the block for the original kits axle. I ended up hacking up the oilpan to get it to clear the steering and add capacity. Turning it around would of been much easier if it had not been assembled 30 some years ago with tube glue.

I also sawed off the molded on bell housing and used a "lakewood style" from a "Rampage Camaro" kit , added some strip styrene to cover the open frame rails.

http://i268.photobucket.com/albums/jj17/Summit_1/P2080007.jpg

http://i268.photobucket.com/albums/jj17/Summit_1/P2080008.jpg

The Trunk floor was cut out to eliminate the spare tire well and molded in fueltank. Also the rear frame rails have been moved in to accommodate the narrower Jo Han Cuda Axle Housing

http://i268.photobucket.com/albums/jj17/Summit_1/P2080009.jpg

Lots of test fitting has been needed

http://i268.photobucket.com/albums/jj17/Summit_1/P2080012.jpg

http://i268.photobucket.com/albums/jj17/Summit_1/P2090016.jpg

Thanks for looking in till next time.

Coming along nicely Sean. Great work on the suspension the stance looks great. Can't wait to see more of this build.

Chris

Looking really good.

I am big Sox & Martin fan and have several posted here some place :D

This is a timely build as I am working on a very similar project.

Which paint scheme are you going to use?

I have seen the 1970 Duster and the 1972 Duster but have not been able to find one that I was sure was a 1971 Duster.

642.jpg

RonnieSox1972.jpg

You doing a great job!

Keep us posted!

Looking really good.

I am big Sox & Martin fan and have several posted here some place :D

This is a timely build as I am working on a very similar project.

Which paint scheme are you going to use?

I have seen the 1970 Duster and the 1972 Duster but have not been able to find one that I was sure was a 1971 Duster.

Thanks Chris for looking in and commenting.

Roger - Thanks for pointing out my error. It is the 1972 Duster I am wanting to build. The kit I had on hand was the '71. I have been searching for a resin grille but it looks like the '71 will have to do. The decals by Slixx show the '72

This pic seems to show a close resemblance to a '71 ? No ? Maybe ? As you stated pics are few and hard to find.

19.jpg

Anyway any suggestions or input will greatly be appreciated.

Edited by Sean D

• 3 weeks later...

The project is still moving along smoothly. I have gotten past the point of the "mock ups" to where I could actually start painting.

P2260028.jpg

P2260031.jpg

I am still deciding whether to drill out the JoHan Distributors or use a couple of the MAD pre-wired. Maybe by the time I get ready to install the chassis for the final time I will have decided. ;) The valve covers was my first time using Alcad Chrome.

The headers were robbed from a Revell Pro Modeler '69 Dodge Daytona Charger.

P2260005.jpg

P2260001.jpg

P2260003.jpg

Thanks for Looking in

Sean

Roger - The hoodscoop is from the old Monogram "66 Malibu SS" . I ordered several resin snorkel scoops and none of them was quite right. The problem with the Monogram scoop it was too short. I added two pieces of .020" sheet styrene shaped and hollowed to match the scoop.

P2120018.jpg

P2120021.jpg

This gave me enough clearance height for the carbs. I also had to thin the inside of the scoop .

Thanks for looking in

Sean

Edited by Sean D

• 2 weeks later...

I decided to try my hand at drilling out the JoHan Distributors. Good thing I have a "Optivisor" as that made the chore a breeze.

I have one wired in and the next one is ready to go.

P3070013.jpg

Thanks to a Tip from Caine440 the Carbs have a more realistic color to them. :blink:

Sean

oldscool - The suspension is out of the box. All I did was cover the top frame with some thin styrene.

Brian - I just used a # 76 drill bit to drill the distributor.

Thanks to everyone who commented and looked , PROSTOCKHEMI Rocks ! That was one of the sites that motivated me back to wanting to build Pro Stocks. ;)

I have been getting the paint on but I blew it on the last color. I forgot to go back and burnish down the masking tape and had a few bleeders. (Sail panels and cowl grill) :blink:

Roger maybe there is a gremlin with the Duster

Anyway I am trying to decide whether to touch up the bleed troughs or put it in the stripper bath and try again.

P3100021.jpg

P3100022.jpg

Comments and suggestions always welcome - a guy has to learn somehow ;)

Sean

before throwing it into the stripper, i would try to polish out those overspray areas. its worth a try and unless im not seeing real problem spots, they look simple enough to have at least half a chance. looks great if you ask me. really nice work on the rest too, excellent job on those distributors! i didnt know these cars had dual ignition systems (not that up on mopar honestly), but that will make for a great nest of snakes on top of the motor!

oldscool - The suspension is out of the box. All I did was cover the top frame with some thin styrene.

Brian - I just used a # 76 drill bit to drill the distributor.

Thanks to everyone who commented and looked , PROSTOCKHEMI Rocks ! That was one of the sites that motivated me back to wanting to build Pro Stocks. :lol:

I have been getting the paint on but I blew it on the last color. I forgot to go back and burnish down the masking tape and had a few bleeders. (Sail panels and cowl grill) B)

Roger maybe there is a gremlin with the Duster

Anyway I am trying to decide whether to touch up the bleed troughs or put it in the stripper bath and try again.

P3100021.jpg

P3100022.jpg

Comments and suggestions always welcome - a guy has to learn somehow ;)

Sean

Just touch it up,that paint job looks to nice to strip,and the only flaw I can see is where the Blue meets the White on the B pillers,mask the blue,and lightly sand that area and blend the white in that area,It looks really nice as is...I have the 73 MPC kit to paint,and I'm waiting till I have enough time to paint it,Plus I'm leary on painting a $100 Kit!.............Steve Ketterer

Looking really good!

Like others here and as I am doing, try touching up first and then if you are not happy off the the purple pool. :unsure:

When you drilled the distributors what type of vise and magnifier do you like to use. I tried to drill them but just could not see well enough. You did an outstanding job.