Model Cars Magazine Forum

I'm AIRBRUSH shopping

Hi all, I'm looking to buy an airbrush

and a compressor. But I have never been

out shopping for one before. I know I

want a dual action unit, and one that

is adjustable in air and paint settings.

So my fellow modellers, please give me

information to help me choose, and any

recommendations on what you are using,

and if you would recommend me getting

the same, and where can I order one.

Thank you so very much guys.

Robert.

p.s. please check out my truck in the

'on the workbench' section, thanks.

Robert...

post-5688-12657815765662_thumb.jpg

I have a Badger Crescendo 175 that I have been using almost weekly since 1996. The only part I had to replace was the tip, and that was recently, maybe 2 months ago. Great airbrush.

i used to have a badger 150 dual action

then i got out of the hobby for a while and got rid of it

now i have a paasch single action

and to be honoust, i dont miss the dual action

this paasche i have has a needle and tip combo that is less then an inch long and it is sooooooooomuch easyer to clean

i think with my skill level this is all i need

as for aircompressors,

dont go to small or it will constantly be turning on and that annoying

and make sure you invest the extra 12 dollars to install a water trap, you dont want to get moisture in the air when your spraying enamels :P

X3 on the Badger Crescendo! I've had mine since 1994 and the only things I've had to replace are the needle bushings. Not hard to replace despite what Badger tells you BTW. B)

One tip I've learned over the years is to bring the needle forward out of the body to clean, and then reinsert through the backside of the body to get it together.

This saves on wear and tear of the bushing.

Hi - I'm relatively new to airbrushing and started about 2 years ago with a single action Badger 150 which I found was either on or off and I couldn't get on with it at all. For a while I thought there must be something wrong with me then I bought myself a Badger 360 dual action which solved all the problems - very easy to use and has the advantage of beibg able to use either the gravity feed cup or a bottle by swivelling the head around. Thoroughly recommended and not too expensive either.

Good luck - Martin

Here's a good review http://www.modelersguild.com/e-magazine/reviews/tools/168-badger-360-dual-action-airbrush

You can't go wrong with IWATA ECLIPSE HP-C. It's the best airbrush and fairly economical.

Later as you get used to it, you'll end up with the best airbrush in the world, the Iwata Micron.

I second the Iwata rout, best dam air brush products, period.

Edited by Plastic Freak

In my opinion, Iwata makes and excellent product, however I use a Paasche VL. I've done everything from automotive showroom wall murals to model cars. I even use it for my illustrations.

It's priced at around 100 bucks and comes with several needles and tips. Personally I like the pick-up under the brush rather than the gravity systems as they are easier for me to handle. Paint jars come in a variety of sizes and left over custom mix colors can be capped and set aside for those times when you need to touch up a boo boo.

I've had it for around 10 years and other than regular cleaning and replacing a worn needle it has been maintenance free.

My compressor is a large automotive type and not mobile so I have a couple of portable tanks (w/pressure regulators) that I fill and use when I'm not able to hook to the a compressor. I think when you get right down to it, any quality airbrush will give you great performance. The important thing is that it feels right and is comfortable for you to use.

Edited by GrandpaMcGurk

i have a Badger 200 (single action) and a Badger 150 ( double action) . with that I have a Sears 4 gallon pancake compressor, and a moisture trap with a regulator..

I prefer the single action for painting large areas, because once you get the paint flow set, all you need to to do is push down the button...

My single action 200 has the medium head, and needle, the double action has the fine head for detail stuff..

If you purchase a water trap with a regulator, and 25 feet of hose, you can put your compressor in a closet, or across the room, mount your watertrap/reg. on your paint boothe and adjust your pressure at the regulator..

Cuts down the noise, and makes things more enjoyable...

Jim A.

Edited by midwest 1953

I have myself also a Badger Crescendo 175 since 1998 with a great experience from it, specially the lifetime warranty service that is a mayor feauture. I bought the set that comes with the three needles, tips, and cups. This is a great airbrush for those who wants an all around-just one airbrush....but....the last summer I send to Hong Kong for a Gunze Sangyo Procon Boy PS-270. I have to tell that this one is another league, the touch and flow of this one has no rival, it even can do 0.2 mm lines!

You guys can see a great review of this one here:

http://www.kitsunesuki.com/2007/05/06/gunze-procon-boy-fwa-platinum-02-part-1/comment-page-1/

Simón P. Rivera Torres

Edited by simonr

Badger Renegade series! It's a 100 dollar brush that can do line work that rivals a 400 dollar Micron.

I use the gravity fed velocity, and the detail work is amazing. Grex is great too.

I will second that. My normal brush was a badger 150 and a sotar 20/20 (for fine work), but after i had the oppertunity to work with the renegade series, I'm hooked.

I vote for the Paasche H series, It's a real workhorse and you can use differnt tips in it from very fine work to spraying down real wet paintjobs. I have been using it since 1980 and have shot many gallons of paint through it over the years. I replace the tips periodically but then I shoot a lot of paint!! I really like the thing.

I would warn you away from the dual action unless you are going to do some serious graphics or camouflage patterns.

Gotta go with Andy on this one ! Paache H series , using the # 5 head and needle will cover you from A to Z . Dual actions are great , I love them ! However , they are overkill unless you plan on doing weathering, murals , or fine detail painting. The Paache single action is easy to use , clean , and a breeze to maintain , also very cost effective !

Do Badger airbrushes use a different hose/connections than a Paasche H series? I've been trying to find quick disconnect fittings for my Badger 200 and nobody has them that will fit a badger. What gives? I've been thinking of getting a Paasche H with the 3 tips but keeping my baby compressor for cleaning. But if I had a Badger and Paasche I might need 2 different hoses - maybe a splitter of some sort could work with 2 hoses.

WOW, everyone here is so helpful, and really knows their stuff too, i'm glad i joined this site, and have already made a few good friends here, this gives me more information to think about while shopping for an airbrush, i'm not too worried about the cost as i'll be having it for a long long time, and i mite even buy a single and a dual action and work with both of them, i didn't even think about having a water trap, but what a great idea to keep it all clean, and since i built a super clean, and bright spray booth with ventilation and pre and aft filters, i want to keep everything in my favour for when i do my spraying, anyhow, thank you soooo much everyone,

rob