Model Cars Magazine Forum

Heartbreak Damaged

Here's a styrene soldier who fell along the way...

072_72-vi.jpg

A Citroen Hotel Taxi rat rod that was damaged in a shelf-shuffling incident. It's still in pieces in a box as I write this, and may well be for a very long time to come.

On the plus side, this '29 A Ratbed suffered more or less the same fate, and came back better than before:

Before:

087_87-vi.jpg

And after:

053_53-vi.jpg

054_54-vi.jpg

So maybe all hope is not lost!

Mike thats funny. I lived in south Phoenix for a bit and yeah the whole area looks like that south on the Sky Harbor Airport :lol: Harry thats a cool idea I have more than this... hmmm.. Great thanks another project to add to the list :lol::lol: Chuck great recovery! That hotel taxi is awesome what happened to it?? George, I had a really bad thing happen. Someone had it out for a friend of mine and new he made models. I was out of work and had no choice but to live in my car with my kids and wife so I stored my stuff with people I thought I could trust. That person found my models and thought they were my friends. Another friend told me that my models were scattered all over an apartment complex parking lot. It's all good though. My family has got stronger and now I have a great parts store in my loft :lol: . Actually what inspired me for the thread was my stuff and Nick having that Firebird get knocked over and that poor guy that slipped on the stairs. So lets keep it going and before and after pics are really welcome and rebuilt too!

Here's a styrene soldier who fell along the way...

A Citroen Hotel Taxi rat rod that was damaged in a shelf-shuffling incident. It's still in pieces in a box as I write this, and may well be for a very long time to come....

Is that a scratchbuilt conversion or was it molded like that??? Tell us more.

Is that a scratchbuilt conversion or was it molded like that??? Tell us more.

It was molded like that.

001_1-vi.jpg

This isn't the same version, but this hotel taxi and the Waterman van kit share just about all the parts except the rear side panels. And of course, the "Waterman" version also lacks the seats the Hotel Taxi comes with. The Hotel Taxi box art is similar, but the truck is red.

Hey Nick I did not realise the white walls before did you make them? When your bird took flight did anything break?

yeah I Did It's super easy wih those type of tires they have a little ressesed circle, so you can just put the paint in them and wipe off the excess. All the body work basicall blew apart.

It was molded like that.

001_1-vi.jpg

This isn't the same version, but this hotel taxi and the Waterman van kit share just about all the parts except the rear side panels. And of course, the "Waterman" version also lacks the seats the Hotel Taxi comes with. The Hotel Taxi box art is similar, but the truck is red.

Well that is nifty. The panel delivery would be a great car for cross-country rod runs. Just make the back end like a mini-RV and you're all set. The Taxi would be a great rod for taking friends out.

• 3 weeks later...

Here's a couple...

This one sat on the top shelf of my buddy Tinman's shop for over 20 years. Great "weathering" job that would be hard to reproduce.

P1010622.jpg

Another one, this is a Firebird Pro-Mod was built by Tommy May about 20 years ago. The paint never dried!

IMG_0629-vi.jpg

Looks terrible now, wait until it's "restored" though... B)

I don't have any pics to show of what happened to mine. We had a house fire several years ago so mine turned into plastic blobs. Had too much time invested in racing and restoring real cars and going to car shows at the time. I started back into the hobby late '07 when I went with my brother to a Hobby Town and Hobby Lobby. I still don't have a big stash like some of you guys have. I build just about everything I get my hands on, or at least start them and set them aside to go looking for parts I need to finish what I in vision. lol.