Model Cars Magazine Forum

'06 Magnum SRT Wagon Project (Finished - 3/8/10)

Mooneyzs

I am fairly new here to this message board and after being away from building models for about 12+ years maybe 14 years. Life got busy once I went away to college way back in '96 and just never found the time to really get back into it like I used to build. Anyway I decided it was time to get back to the hobby that I loved since I was 15. I decided I needed something simple where I wasn't going to do much detail work just to get me back into enjoying building. So I decided to do a magnum wagon after seeing one I really liked down the street from my parents house one day when I was back home. Here are a few pics of what I have done so far.....

PlasticModels113-1.jpg

SRT Magnum Wagon Project

PlasticModels114-1.jpg

Side View

PlasticModels154.jpg

Body work almost done. I had removed the molding on the sides and off the hood.

PlasticModels164-1.jpg

The stance with interior in.... gotta get the back to sit a little lower...

PlasticModels213.jpg

All body work has been completed and guide coated.

PlasticModels215.jpg

Another view of primed and guide coated.

The interior is now pretty much completed with the exception of having to glue a few items into place. I have finished blocking the body out for paint and am just waiting on the hardner for the clear. I went and picked up some paint matierials last week and the shop I was getting my paint from got me the wrong harder for my clear and they had to reorder what I wanted. So hopefully sometime this coming week I will be able to squirt some color on the body. when I do I will get some more pics of it to share with you guys. After paint there shouldn't be too much left to complete the build.

Edited by Mooneyzs

Chris, that looks great with those wheels and tires! That kit begs for thinner profile tires since the kit ones aren't quite correct IMO.

I built one using the rear tires out of C6 Corvette kits-------------looks much closer to stock for an SRT. Keep up the great work!

Thank you MrObsessive... You were right about that kit begging for thinner profile tires. I happened to be at a local hobby shop and saw those Pegasus wheels a knew instanly that I need them for this kit. I have to agree that the tires that come with the kit didn't look right at all. I bet that turned out great with you using the C6 tires from the corvette. Do you have pics of it posted? would love to see it.

Chris-

That's going to look great, judging by the start you got there! I have three of those kits... nice looking wagon!

Bill, I always liked your version! I did some research on the late-model Charger, you nailed the colors of the floorpan chassis! It's almost a 50/50 split between grey primer w/ overspray, and black.

Bill That Looks great. Love the color and you hit the nail on the head with those tires. They look so much better than what comes with the kit. And the floor pan is awesome Very nice build for sure.

Spyder....Thanks for the props

I should be painting the body sometime this week, So hopefully by next weekend I will have some painted pics of the body to post.

Thanks 09WNS, would love to see your build as well. Hopefully you will post some pics when you get yours done :) Cheers!

yeah i need to finish my others 1st

and the is a bit of scratch building needed for my little plan mate

yeah i will psot pics of it

but not un till it is all done

then show some progress pics of the build too

ok and Update on this project.... I was waiting for the shop to get my harnder in for my clear I use. Well I got it yesterday and go the body painted today. Here are some shots of the paint work.....enjoy

PlasticModels329.jpg

1st coat of base

PlasticModels333.jpg

2nd coat of base

PlasticModels336-1.jpg

3rd coat of base

PlasticModels346.jpg

All base finished with 4 coats of clear on top.

PlasticModels347-1.jpg

somewhat of a side view

PlasticModels348.jpg

The hood

Just need to let it dry now and then will be able to finish the kit. Still debating if I am going to colorsand and polish. guess I will wait and see how it looks once dry. :blink:

Edited by Mooneyzs

Thanks Zukiholic.....yep 2 different worlds for sure my muscle car from when I was 16 to my tuner next to it... haha what can I say the xB gets great gas mileage and the Camino is not so great. I have to agree with you that I am not very fond of the new style xB either they are too round in my opinion. One of my best friends, his fiance has a hot lava xD and I love it.

Thanks Nails.... Yep I have seen a few real Magnums done up nice that I wouldn't mind having. No worries on the overspray, Everytime I was shooting I pulled the garage down down just for that fact :(

Nice build so far! I like the color too. I was gonna comment on the El Camino as well but forgot to look for your wheels lol. My friends and I ran around Phoenix in a really bad to the bone Elk it was a 69. To bad it was rear ended pulling a trailer and bent the frame. Grr.. Can't wait to see this one done.

Thanks Railfreak.... No worries on the wheels...lol Thats cool about the '69 but that sucks to hear that the frame got bent :angry:

ok as Promised here are some pics of my 1:1 rides my 1971 El Camino and 2005 Scion xB

The '71 El Camino. It has a 396 Big Block pushing somewhere between 450 & 500 Hp. I will have to find a picture of the car what it looked like when I was 16.

0c320bdb.jpg

fe25e797.jpg

be4d60b3.jpg

4bf7df6c.jpg

ac74207e.jpg

Interior2.jpg

095df488.jpg

Edited by Mooneyzs

Beautiful El Camino!! :angry: And that Scion ain't too shabby either!

As far as posting pics, on this board's software..........you're allowed 10 pics per post. Go over that, and you get the nice little message telling you that you've gone over the limit. :lol:

BTW, excellent paint on that Magnum! It's coming along nice!

Beautiful El Camino!! :angry: And that Scion ain't too shabby either!

As far as posting pics, on this board's software..........you're allowed 10 pics per post. Go over that, and you get the nice little message telling you that you've gone over the limit. :lol:

BTW, excellent paint on that Magnum! It's coming along nice!

Thanks Bill for the nice comments. My Camino has been in the family for quite some time. My Dad actually got it before I was born and I took it over when I was 16. They Paint is still the same paint when we painted it back in 1994. and it used to have a 350 in it which got rebuilt during my high school years and then when I moved to AZ was when I decided to put a big block and redo the interior once more.

Thanks on the Magnum too. I just placed the body on the chassis to see how it looks with the wheels and I will have to take it outside and take a pic for all to see. I can't wait to finish this model now. Also thanks for the heads up on the Photos, I appreciate it.