Model Cars Magazine Forum

Details for fire apparatus

It is my understanding that AITM, still carries everthing MTFACO did, you just need to email to find out what he has unless you have one of the old catalogs. Be prepared with a list of what you want because the MTFACO catalog looked like a magazine (lots of stuff) and it would take forever for him to list it all in an email.

Off the top of my head there was a decent smoke ejector, circle D lights, a variety of tools (flat & pick head axes, round shovels, square shovels, pike pole heads), a portable monitor (deck gun, wagon pipe, stang depending on local terminology), variety of sirens, some lights (but no light bars), most are cast metal. I don't recall any PPE or nozzles.

I don't know if you have been to the Scale Fire House or not, its a model site for emergency vehicles and has a pretty good list of (the pathetically few) suppliers of parts out there.

http://www.scalefirehouse.com/

If you don't mind my asking what are you going to build?

Aaron, I am working on 3 Trumpeter ALF's for buddies of mine from neighboring FD's. The one I want to "Deck out" is one I am building for my father who was a ff since I was a kid, so far Ive opened all the doors on the cab and body and while on the road I will detail the interior and such, I recently did one for our department but I used up what I had purchased from Fred's and I'd like to get a hold of some extras and stock up in case I never get the chance to in the future. Just stockin up on supplies to take onthe road with me.

The Trumpeter ALF is a nice kit, I hope that Trumpeter really does decide to follow it up with another vehicle, I've heard rumors of a rescue or a ladder.

I really hope they do a parts pack of equipment for it though like you can get for military models. You know SCBA, nozzles, tools etc I'd buy a dozen of those.

Good luck with your search.

What was your experience with Freds? I've heard mostly marginal experiences from the few that have bought from him, good stuff but spotty service. His catalog is full of neat stuff though, I've come close to ordering a couple of times.

I'd love to see someone come out with some PPE, Airpacks, nozzles.the whole lot of parts. As for Fred's

I was very satisfied with the products he offered, and I did have a few times where the service was under par. Most of the time I got confirmation right on the phone at time of order, few times it would take a few days and I would get an email stating the order was shipped, once I got an email confirmation and it didn't list all the parts I ordered. As many times as I ordered from him I would say 8 out of 10 times the service was great. Off the top of my head without looking at my paperwork I ordered from him at least 20 times, and 3 times I recieved spotty service but all in all I would keep going back, if he was only open.

Josh

Hey, I found I had Freds saved in my favorites twice, and the links are different. Seems he changed company names (can't say I blame him google turned up about 4 freds making resin stuff) and web addresses.

This one works, it starts out wierd (a bunch of numbers and such) but it will open eventually.

http://www.frmnco.com/

Thanks for your experience with Fred's most I know tried once and were unhappy with the service, maybe they just had bad luck or bad timing if you've used him that much with mostly good results.

I got a catalog from him 2 years ago, it had some "kits" that included at least a full cab, body and wheels. Don't remember if it required a donor for the chassis or not.

There is some info in the contact section with email and phone # for the owners, if you know what you want you might be able to order something. As a recall now that site was put up in August or so, you might have a bit of a wait before its finished.

Knowing how resin casters are in general and the lack of competition in the emergency vehicle area, that under construction site with contact info might be giving him all the buisness he can handle. :P

This is a new caster that popped up recently

http://www.grovegraphics.com/resin_items/index_resin.htm

The stuff looks rough but usable.