Model Cars Magazine Forum

dickie harrell camaro

mustangman

Nice build! Kinda partial to that car.... What kit did you start out with? I know the Reliable Resin body is not even close to being accurate. The body is way too long as the real car was a stock body 69 Camaro with the front wheels moved forward 12" making it a 120" wheelbase. The Reliable Resin body is only good for one car and that is Kelly Chadwicks car. He ran a 128" wheelbase thus the body was stretched from the doors forward. What is amazing is the origial issue of the Dick Harrell kit is fairly accurate. The only issues with the original kit are the front bumper needs to be more defined, the chassis diagonal bars need to be reversed (one of two major differences between the Logghe chassis and the Don Hardy one), and the driver side diagonal bar on the roll cage needs to be added. Below is a picture of my 1-to-1 build from a few years ago. Wasn't quite finished in this picture, still needed some sponsor logos added, the parachute wasn't mounted, and the pinstriping on the rear spoiler wasn't done yet..........................RatPack..................

TheForge2007007ab.jpg

Edited by Rat_Pack

Randy - Wow O Wow that is a Nice Build. Your Paintwork is Fantastic. Another one of my Favorites being posted. You Guys are enablers to my modeling habit :huh:

Troy - Words escape me B)

What do you guys think of the Comp. Resins Body ?

http://www.compresins.com/site/751597/product/CR-4014

Sean

Edited by Sean D

Nice build! Kinda partial to that car.... What kit did you start out with? I know the Reliable Resin body is not even close to being accurate. The body is way too long as the real car was a stock body 69 Camaro with the front wheels moved forward 12" making it a 120" wheelbase. The Reliable Resin body is only good for one car and that is Kelly Chadwicks car. He ran a 128" wheelbase thus the body was stretched from the doors forward. What is amazing is the origial issue of the Dick Harrell kit is fairly accurate. The only issues with the original kit are the front bumper needs to be more defined, the chassis diagonal bars need to be reversed (one of two major differences between the Logghe chassis and the Don Hardy one), and the driver side diagonal bar on the roll cage needs to be added. Below is a picture of my 1-to-1 build from a few years ago. Wasn't quite finished in this picture, still needed some sponsor logos added, the parachute wasn't mounted, and the pinstriping on the rear spoiler wasn't done yet..........................RatPack..................

TheForge2007007ab.jpg

NO NO Reliable resin,I made this one myself,Don's has the Roof hatch in the top,mine don't...I know it aint right but at the time seemed like a good subject to do with a body I made and couldn't figure out who to build....This is alos before I really strated aquiring a so called knowledge base,now that I have aquired one I can't remember who I want to build by time I get of the pooter,OLD AGE SUCKS.............

Randy - Wow O Wow that is a Nice Build. Your Paintwork is Fantastic. Another one of my Favorites being posted. You Guys are enablers to my modeling habit :lol:

Troy - Words escape me B)

What do you guys think of the Comp. Resins Body ?

http://www.compresins.com/site/751597/product/CR-4014

Sean

Sean, thank you. I need to find better pictures to post, but that was the only one that was downsized already. As for the CR body, I didn't even know they had one out. Wish there were better pictures than what they show on their site. What I have found is that there is not a correct 67-69 Camaro body on the market today to build a correct version of any Dick Harrell Camaro. Very few of the real cars ever got a lengthened body until late in the 70 season with a few exceptions. Dale Pulde's 1968 "Viscious Too" was one of the early steel body/fiberglass front end Camaros that had the stretched nose. That original AMT Dick Harrell kit is the most accurate 69 Camaro body out there for building accurate versions of 99% of the real Camaro f/c's in the day. I have scoured through hundreds of my Camaro f/c pictures and found only one 69 Camaro that the RR kit can be used for and that is Kelly Chadwicks car. Here is a list of top name drivers/cars that there is not an existing accurate body out there to build a model of (maybe someone should check into making these bodies):

Dick Harrell 67-70 Camaro's

Bruce Larson 68 Camaro

Jim Kirby 68 Camaro

Mike Burkharts 68-69 Camaro's

Mel Perry Super Camaro 67-70 Camaro

Chapman Automotive 69 Camaro

Jungle Jim 70 Camaro early cars stock body 120" wheelbase

Huston Platt's Dixie Twisters 67-69

The Reliable Resin 67-68 Camaro could be modified to build Pulde's "Viscious Too" Camaro, Parts Mart Camaro, or the California Camaro by moving the front wheels back about 1/8" on the body as those bodies were stretched between the door and the fenderwell. Man I wish I had more time in my life to get back into building these things again. They were a great stress reliever!!!!..........RatPack..............

That paint looks miles deep. What base and candy did you use? Man, I love this hobby... A guy who builds the 1:1 offering insight to the modeler... This is soooo cool.

To be honest with you I really don't remember,back when I built this I was using alot of House of Colors paint,the base is Gold,TTYL,Randy

• 1 month later...

TheForge2007007ab.jpg

Rat Pack

You have been misinformed , comp resin offers the long bodied Camaros NOT Reliable Resin

Comp Resin is the resin caster that made their body to fit the Polor Lights chassis

which is incorrect for these yrs

Take a CLOSE LOOK @ our 67/68 & 69 ... When you build ours ( Reliable Resin ) you have to shorten the wheel base on the P/L chassis :rolleyes: