Model Cars Magazine Forum

My latest project WIP (update 2-22-10)

I have started working on a new KW K100, its kind of a guinea pig as I learn my new metal lathe, and some other new techniques for me such as bare metal foil. This one will just be a twin screw, but I have run air lines to the bags from a leveling control, that I took liberties on since I have never seen one. I have the interior finished, along with the frame and drive train, although I built the Cummins that came with the kit along with a Cat, and I'm not sure wich I like best. So the question to all of you is, if I were a trucker, which one would I want?

Here's what I have so far:

Interior:

Frame with air bag detail:

post-2603-12663427717179_thumb.jpg

The cummins:

post-2603-12663428305415_thumb.jpg

The Cat:

post-2603-12663429632869_thumb.jpg

I have done some weathering, but have a lot more to do along with more parts to make, but its snowing like crazy here so I have a good excuse to play.

Let me know what you think.

Tim

Edited by studioman3

Looks pretty good. I like your frame & engine details.

Thanks Jim, that link you posted the other day on engine details got me itchin' to get into the finer details.

Kurt,

Yeah Jamie has some really nice stuff, I love his tires, and this set fit the stock rims so it saves me from having to learn alclad (though its on my list of things to do), and I was going to use his airbags, but the ones on this kit look pretty darn good, so I'll stick with them.

Tim,

I would probably go with the Clatterpillar 3406A. Its important to remember that Cummins were popular engines in particular the NTC400 Big Cam engines. The NTC 475 was not common. I think Revell probably used it in most of their truck kits because it was state of the art at the time (And they had made the moulds). A stock engine of 855 Cubic inches (14 litres) delivering a whopping 475 HP was unusual. If you wanted big horsepower you had the option of the 3408 Clatterpillar at 18 litres or the Cummins KT450 to KTA 600. The numbers denote the horses available. The big Cummins had a displacement of 1150 cubic inches or 19 litres. Both engines had high torque output. The advantage of the NTC475 over the 3408 and KT was weight and the cost of not just initial purchase but repairs also. So a 14 litre engine reated at 475HP was an interesting option. But at the end of the day you cannot beat Cubic Inches.

Oh I forgot to mention there was of course the 92 series Detroits'.

Best Regards

Dave

Tim,

Just had another thought. Maybe you should approach this from a different perspective ie What is the truck going to do? Is it going to be a Heavy Hauler? Then for me it would be the big Cummins KT or the 3408 Cat. important to think about your drive line to. Make sure its rated for the torque and diesel horses. Think about the suspension etc?

Best Regards

Dave

Dave,

Thanks for the information, all very good points, and like I have said before, I don't really know much about trucks, just love them! This helps a lot with the decision, although it doesn't make it any easier, lol. I plan to build some heavy haulers, so this info is not lost on me, though I'm sure there's a lot more I need to know when building them, such as tranny specs, and where to get the parts needed. This truck is not really going to be a heavy hauler, so here's what I did, I went with the Cummins for a couple reasons,

1. I don't know yet what I'm gonna pull with her.

2. The suspension is already done. (too late to beef it up)

3. A little less modification to install

Thanks

Tim

A very sweet looking rig so far, that's for sure. I'm also learning the finer art of detailing these kits to give them some added realism. My father has a metal lathe he has offered to me as well as he is in his 80's now and isn't playing with power machinery as much as he used to, for good reason, I might add. I would like to start machining some aluminum pieces for the truck kits over the summer to use on my future projects.

Keep us posted on this truck. It is definitely a sweet ride so far!!!

Thanks again guys, yeah the lathe is nice to have, one of the air horns in this kit was broken, so I made the ones on here with the lathe.

Dave, thanks, yes they are scratch built, I took a piece of aluminum tubing one size bigger than the stacks, and cut off about 1/8", then cut it on one side, split it open and bent the ends back to make the bracket, the cap was made on the lathe and then drilled and assembled them, it took me a couple tries and some cut fingers, but I am happy with them.

Here it is, almost finished, once the decals set, I'll need to shine them up with Future, and then get her outside for some real detailed pics.

here's a couple pics for now.

Tim