Model Cars Magazine Forum

remove scratche`s from glass

iam building a model of the 1963 vw bus and now iam at the point of putting in the glass and it has some scratch`s on it is there a easy way to remove them ive seen on another site the guy used differnt grade wet and dry sandpaper then clearcoat has anyone done it this way before as i dont want to mess it up

thanks for the reply`s. heres a pic of the area that is scrathed it seems to be on the inside which is strange as nothing was inside when i took it out of the bag. i can feel the area and it doesnt feel that deep. as for future i cant get that in the uk as i was going to try and use a clearcoat. i will try those things you guy`s have mentioned and hopefully it will work

160220102026.jpg

Edited by boohoo

thanks for the reply`s. heres a pic of the area that is scrathed it seems to be on the inside which is strange as nothing was inside when i took it out of the bag. i can feel the area and it doesnt feel that deep. as for future i cant get that in the uk as i was going to try and use a clearcoat. i will try those things you guy`s have mentioned and hopefully it will work

160220102026.jpg

Contact Steve at SNC Hobbies in the UK and see if he carries Detail Masters polishing kits. From the looks of it , you are going to have to start out with 3200 grit and work your way up to 12000, wet sanding under cold water. Polish it out with Novus 2 and follow it up with The Final Detail Wax.

I've done this countless times.....Due to the nature of my builds (lotsa chopped roofs,with flush fitting glass) ,I have to cut and bend glass to fit. I've started as low as 1000 grit,and worked my way through the polishing pads to 4000,and then go to the Novus. Make sure you support the glass ,either on your palm,fingers,or a piece of heavy foam rubber,or you will get stress cracks,and once those show up,your 'glass is trash (been there done that)....Bending clear plastic windows; now that's a whole 'nuther story.........theZman

I have had em scratched worse than that and just dipped em in clear Future, let dry, dipped again and all looked great.

But FIRST, Experiment! Take a clear plastic spoon, approximate the scratches you have on your windshield onto the spoon, coat the spoon with Future, let dry and see if it works to your needs, then do the windshield. Good luck! B)