Model Cars Magazine Forum

First post on MCM, last build of '06...70 Ford/NYPD

Tom Sheehy

Its the Hobby Heaven issue of the AMT 70 Ford kit. I ditched the incorrect Boss 429 and cobbled together a semi-accurate 351 from parts box engine parts, together with a single exhaust and solder crossover pipe. I added some extras to the interior, a telephone handset a la NYPD and a pacing speedometer, which was also standard in all NYPD cars of that era.

Paint is all Tamiya, British green, black and white. Decals are from the most recent JoHan 68 Plymouth. The roof dome light is resin with a clear vacuumformed lens. The rear bars, known as the "McDermott" bar, is scratchbuilt from brass, photoetch brackets, plastic and parts box flashers. For those wondering, MCY PCT stands for Motorcycle Precinct, the forerunner of today's NYPD Highway Patrol.

This is not a super detailed kit, but it builds up fairly well. It does show that we need a new tool big Ford, circa 1965-1970...my vote is a '67

And a Happy New Year to all :D

Dec312006002-vi.jpg

Dec312006004-vi.jpg

Dec312006005-vi.jpg

tsheehy,

Fantastic build there! Very nice work, you'll be a great addition to MCM forums.

However, we don't know your real name so could you please post it in the signature text box found in the profile section of this board. That way it will be automatic when you post.

Thank you!

• 7 years later...

Great model, glad it was put up top again - I wasn't here yet in 2006.

The May issue of Hemmings Classic Car mag has two features on NYPD cars, including an ex-officer's re-creation of a 71 Plymouth. Worth a look.

Welcome Tom. I was thinking of you, as The Police Memorial Week is being observed in D.C. I hope to see some of the festivities this week, as I am not too far away. I finally got a hold of a 1980's Impala to do this car, mspq24001.8320.jpg

I sold them these cars back in 1983, and this one looks to be one of them. Now I can build one, as soon as I get a good roof light in scale. I can only hope that it comes out nearly as good as yours.

i posted a reply because I was going backwards through the oldest to newest posts to catch stuff i have not seen. been finding some great ones.

Nothing wrong with that! We all miss some posts, sometimes we get lucky and see them on their second time around!

I cant see the origonal pics. Shame. I had spoke to Tom many many years ago, maybe 15 on a webpage forum thing back in the day, he was good at telling me how to improve the AMT Monaco and the Yodel Monaco/Fury as i have a few of those also. Not spoke to him really since, he did send me some decals over back in the day too.

Seen lots of his work, very impressive.