Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Revell '70 Pontiac Firebird 2'n1 1/24

19 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

Well, its back!!! The former 1/24 Monogram 70 Pontiac Trans Am has been re-issued under the Revell Motor-City Muscle series. I believe the last time we had seen this one was sometime in the early '90's?? It appears to be pretty much a strait re-issue with the exception of those "Big Wheels". Don't worry, the stock Rallys are included!!! Yea!!! The kit has survived pretty well as there does not seem to be too much flash and the details are still pretty sharp. The instructions are strait forward and easy to read. Decals have two options to build the white car with blue stripes or the blue car with white stripes. There is no Trans Am lettering though. Tires are the old standby Revellogram Goodyears that no longer sport the lettering. The tires for the large 5 spoke wheels appear to be Goodyear Gatorbacks, but once again with no lettering. I have yet to build this issue but I have built the previous one and it went together fairly well and builds up into a nice Trans Am. I sure hope someone out there will cast a Formula hood for it though!!! HINT!!! HINT!!! I tried about a year ago and failed. It would be an easy conversion with a resin hood. Just remove the side scoops and the flares( You willl have to add material to the fenders) put on the Formula hood and presto!!!! Either way it is good to see the '70 re-issued. The prices on E-Bay were getting out of hand on these!!! I will probley buy at least 10 more before I am done!!! LOL!!!! KT

Posted · Report post

What does the plastic look like? Does it look like the funky plastic that has had the paint issues?

Posted · Report post

Also speaking of funky------did they fix that incorrect upper side window shape? That's what turned me off from buying it before.

Posted · Report post

Here is a boost to KT's fine review. IT is a basic re-pop. It feels like the "new" Revell plastic to me. The key here my fine friends, is patience while painting with hot paints.

Here are the pics:

70ta1-vi.jpg

70ta10-vi.jpg

New Tires:

70ta2-vi.jpg

70ta3-vi.jpg

For Bill:

70ta4-vi.jpg

70ta5-vi.jpg

70ta6-vi.jpg

70ta7-vi.jpg

70ta8-vi.jpg

And of course the tails are in red and you have your clear windshield etc...

Chris

Posted · Report post

My one gripe with this kit is the exhaust moulded to the rear axle...

Posted · Report post

Sigh............:P Nope it's still the same...........I'll probably buy this kit if only to not build my original MPC '71 Trans Am. :wink:

Posted · Report post

Also speaking of funky------did they fix that incorrect upper side window shape? That's what turned me off from buying it before.

Funny, I thought it was just me!!! Yea, the kit is not perfect but I think it is a good "affordable" base for a number of '70-'73 projects. In the last few years I have seen the prices of these rise on E-Bay almost to the point where they were not affordable. The "Collector" in me took over and I started to hoard the ones I had and was afraid to build them. Now, I can build one or two without the guilt!!! :lol: Yes, it is true...I am a collector as well as a builder. Shame on me!!! KT

Posted · Report post

It's a really good kit. I've had the original version since it came out in the 90's. That window profile bugged me too.

The side window detail is quite simple to fix. I'll take a picture soon when my new camera is up and running and I set my lightbox back up. It only takes about 10 minutes to carve/scrape w/an XActo and sand the upper window line to give it the correct arc. Just need to remove a bit of material, no material needs to be added. I did the work on my Monogram T/A back in November, with my original MPC 1/25 Trans Am by it's side for reference. Helps if you have a small French curve to draw the contour onto the plastic.

The wheels are great; they're the only good rallys done in scale that depict the trim-ring-less stock wheels.

Posted · Report post

The key here my fine friends, is patience while painting with hot paints.Chris

What does the term "hot paints" mean?

Posted · Report post

Typically, it means lacquer based paints but not always.

Tamiya Sprays are lacquer and aren't typically considered "hot".

Automotive lacquer sprays (Dupli Color for example) are considered "hot".

Enamel and acyrlic paints are not "hot".

Krylon, although technically an enamel, is considered "hot" by us modelers as you can craze plastic if you aren't careful with how heavily you put it on.

Posted · Report post

Meaning Automotive paints instead of your Hobby enamels.

The new Revell plastic is very susceptible to crazing without proper treatment. Meaning you should prime it with thin coats, or use Zinnser sealer on the body before even putting color coats on. When you do your color coats, do very thin coats for buildup before you do a wet coat.

Chris

Posted · Report post

It's a really good kit. I've had the original version since it came out in the 90's. That window profile bugged me too.

The side window detail is quite simple to fix. I'll take a picture soon when my new camera is up and running and I set my lightbox back up. It only takes about 10 minutes to carve/scrape w/an XActo and sand the upper window line to give it the correct arc. Just need to remove a bit of material, no material needs to be added. I did the work on my Monogram T/A back in November, with my original MPC 1/25 Trans Am by it's side for reference. Helps if you have a small French curve to draw the contour onto the plastic.

The wheels are great; they're the only good rallys done in scale that depict the trim-ring-less stock wheels.

Say Bob.....We never got a tutorial on how to best fix the window contour :unsure: . I thought I might just try to "Carve" it out myself using some reference photos but it would be neat to see how you would do it??? KT

Posted · Report post

I just bought this Revell 70 Firebird , ,, any issues with this kit ?? good kit, bad kit ,fair kit ? thunks

Posted · Report post

My biggest disappointment with this kit is that it doesn't include proper Trans-Am decals.

Otherwise, it seems to be a nice kit with decent looking wheels :)

Posted · Report post

My biggest disappointment with this kit is that it doesn't include proper Trans-Am decals.

Otherwise, it seems to be a nice kit with decent looking wheels :)

I second that. I sure wish that it had come with them, too.

Posted · Report post

The kit will not have the Trans Am decals most likely due to licensing issues with GM just the same as the 78 T/A does not have them either. The kit does build up pretty nice with some inaccuracies. The engine looks a little small for a 400 c.i. motor in comparison to the one in the 78 T/A and the 67 Firebirds.

Posted · Report post

AFAIK this kit is discontinued and what's on the shelf is what remains. Considering Revell reissued the '91 Formula, the '68 Foose version, and the '77 T/A is about to drop, it makes sense. Even better would be if this were the last time we see the circa '91 Monogram 1/24 '70 T/A and they replace it with an all-new 1/25 scale kit. ^_^

Posted (edited) · Report post

Keith Marks makes a nice set of decals for 71-77 Trans Am's if you need the T/A lettering. I'm building one of these myself and will order those decals. I for one want the 1/24 version to add to my 1/24 diecast collection. :)

Edited by Geno

Posted (edited) · Report post

That's the reason mine is still unbuilt. Once I find a French curve to get that part right, I'll get on it.

Edited by Tonioseven