Model Cars Magazine Forum

Revell '70 Pontiac Firebird 2'n1 1/24

KT EASTMAN

I'm going to guess Revell does not have the licensing to produce the "Trans-Am" wordmark, hence why it was specifically labelled as a "Pontiac Firebird". Here's the decal sheet from the previous(?) Motor City Muscle reissue in 2006(?)?:

RevellMCM70Firebird.jpg.6eb6464e498d298611b0d7c790ea61f1.jpg

Edited by Casey

I like this car a lot, but I probably won't be buying a new one--at least not at anywhere near Full Metal Retail. I built a nice white one when the kit first came out, and I recently acquired nice Welly diecasts in both white and blue and in 1/25 to boot (not 1/24). So I'm pretty much Trans Am-ed up now. B)

8 hours ago, Casey said:

I'm going to guess Revell does not have the licensing to produce the "Trans-Am" wordmark, hence why it was specifically labelled as a "Pontiac Firebird". Here's the decal sheet from the previous(?) Motor City Muscle reissue in 2006(?)?:

RevellMCM70Firebird.jpg.6eb6464e498d298611b0d7c790ea61f1.jpg

RE : The licencing for the trademarked Trans Am : Pontiac paid a pretty penny back in c.1967 to use the 'Trans Am' name on their Firebird . Dodge didn't pay one red cent for their "suggested" ties tot he racing organisation ; that's how we ended up with the Challenger T/A . Just as the companion 1970 AAR 'Cuda ; acronyms and numbers cannot be copyrighted .

25 minutes ago, 1972coronet said:

Pontiac paid a pretty penny back in c.1967 to use the 'Trans Am' name on their Firebird . 

IIRC, it was $5 per car. Doesn't sound like much, but it added up to millions over the years to the SCCA. :blink:

2 hours ago, Deuces said:

I believe the scca still owns the rights to that name.... What did those brothers do? Crawl from under a rock and claimed the name "Trans-Am" as theirs????...... Sorry for the rant!... ?

More likely just paying licensing fees like everybody else.

Question:  in the Revell 2019 thread, it said this kit now had pad-printed Firestone Wide Ovals.  At the start of this thread, it says the tires are unmarked.  As I’m planning what to do with it when I purchase it, which is it?  Thanks!

5 hours ago, Kmb0319 said:

Question:  in the Revell 2019 thread, it said this kit now had pad-printed Firestone Wide Ovals.  At the start of this thread, it says the tires are unmarked.  As I’m planning what to do with it when I purchase it, which is it?  Thanks!

Maybe because this thread was started in 2006?? :huh::huh::huh:

Guys.....I don't have the new kit yet, but be aware that the original release of this kit tool in the early ? 1990's, had an incorrect engine.  It was the 301 block from the Monogram 1981? Turbo Trans-Am version of the Firebird, not the 400 V8 from the 1978 release.  

Of course, the 301 didn't exist in 1970.  While the 301 was derived from the original Pontiac V8 family, there were a surprising number of visual differences between the two engines including the engine block. 

I don't have any of the reissues since the original 1970 1/2 kit release, so I don't know if this was corrected in the interim or not.  Swapping in the correct engine is an easy swap if you have any of the correct 400's in your parts box, however.  

Meanwhile, as I pointed out the my book Collecting Muscle Car Model Kits, the wait for a fully correct Pontiac 400 Ram Air IV in 1/24th or 1/25th scale continues.....TIM   

• 4 weeks later...

All Pontiac engine blocks are the same size. Unlike Chevy, which has small and big block engine families - Pontiac's are all the same physical block. The difference is in the bore and stroke of the displacement.

So the 301 should visually look the same as the 400, but internal parts are not interchangeable. 

Hope this helps

On 8/20/2019 at 11:57 AM, Oldcarfan27 said:

All Pontiac engine blocks are the same size. Unlike Chevy, which has small and big block engine families - Pontiac's are all the same physical block. The difference is in the bore and stroke of the displacement.

So the 301 should visually look the same as the 400, but internal parts are not interchangeable. 

Hope this helps

You are, of course, correct in that all Pontiac V8 blocks are the same size. 

But there are definitive detail differences.  The 301 block (as molded by Monogram/Revell) has features that visually distinguish it from the earlier 389/400/455 blocks.   Pull out kits with both of the engines and compare closely.  The differences are visible (at least they were for me).  

Best.....TIM 

40 minutes ago, Bob Ellis said:

I hate to rain on somebody's parade but I wish it was 1/25

The Welly diecast is quite nice and is true 1/25. It's available in both white and Lucerne Blue. If you get lucky, you can find them at Rite-Aid for $10. 

• 1 year later...

I know this is an old thread but I just have to comment on the subject of Trans Am. This kit is not a Trans Am, that is why there are no decals for Trans Am. It is a stock Firebird , big difference in engine and body details as well as suspension. Just saying.

2 hours ago, strat0 said:

I know this is an old thread but I just have to comment on the subject of Trans Am. This kit is not a Trans Am, that is why there are no decals for Trans Am. It is a stock Firebird , big difference in engine and body details as well as suspension. Just saying.

How so?

It has all the wheel opening flares, the shaker hood, the rear spoiler, etc.

The decals are missing the "Trans Am" lettering because of licensing issues.

What exactly is missing?