Model Cars Magazine Forum

LEATHER COVERED INTERIORS.

E St. Kruiser50

Here's a pic of some of the skins I have.

Mostly goat, some pig, and one deer skin.

2010_0224Photobucket10019.jpg

Here's a pic of the two leather's I'll be using for the project.

I like contrast, and these two colors are pretty neutral, but very rich, especially in person, and go with most any body color combo's. The tan I use more than any other color just for that reason, and it seems to show the leather graining and all it's best attributes.

2010_0224Photobucket10020.jpg

And here's the color combo as seen in the last pic, in a finished project of mine that's in a private collection.

He owns 20 pieces from me.

2010_0224Photobucket10021.jpg

Edited by Treehugger Dave

i could totally fall asleep in one of the seats of those models. ;)

me, personally, i'm not too fond of the bumpiness of the leather. i prefer smooth textured leather with no grain textures. do you know if they have such a thing? i will probably do some googling to see what i can find around here.

keep up the good work!

i'm assuming you can get the same results with some sort of real vinyl, right?

me, personally, i'm not too fond of the bumpiness of the leather. i prefer smooth textured leather with no grain textures.

i'm assuming you can get the same results with some sort of real vinyl, right?

The texture of the grain is pretty amplified by the magnified close-ups of the pics.

In person the leather has a rich, soft, smooth, pleasing look, that only comes from real leather.

All the vinyles I've seen, are way thicker, not nearly as soft and stretchy, and the grain doesn't appear nearly to scale as some leathers.

Flatliner brings up a good point about choice of materials.

That's why, to me, "HANDS ON" in choosing any of your material is always the best smile.gif .

And yes, there are leathers that are much smoother, or with some experience you can accomplish that yourself. (See yellow car with black interior in the preliminary pics - very smooth, but the same tan leather that appears bumpy in other pics, due to how I "Enhanced" the leather with a little helpful processing) rolleyes.gif .

Great... As a very poor hope to be soon bike Rider ( my 1st 1:1 Project bike is in restore mode ) all these guys without a way to measure the thickness will be buying up great leather vests and jackets from the thrift store :lol: Seriously thanks for starting the thread and showing us how to do things. Not to change subject but I have family in Portland and in WA. This place you use have anything that small that resembles snake skin?

My father used to make a lot of things out of leather, and if I recall correctly snake skin is just thin on it's on. But it wont be as supple, I don't think.

I think some of the people here who would like to put it in new cars would be do go to look into the "leather shirts" they make. If I'm not mistake they are a split skin (suede on both sides) and then are perforated to help with breathing. They hang like a thin cloth. Might even work for Bill Geary's convertible.

It's interesting that you use Testers glue to attach the leather. It does make sense as you describe it. I used to carve leather back in hippy days and always used rubber cement for most attachments unless they needed stitching or riveting for strength. This would remain more flexible that dried model glue, but probably is not a critical factor anyway in a model. Seems it would stick to plastic fine, though the melted glue from the Testers must sure give a good bond.

I'm also surprised you can get skins that are so thin. I always skived mine down when needed, but having them already done is pretty nice. Gonna have to do some hunting around. Nothing looks as good as real leather. :lol:

Edited by Foxer

David brings up a point that I've been curious about for some time. You have mentioned your "water-based chrome" many times...can you show us what it is, and how it looks? I'm very curious. Lots of people make claims for chrome paints, etc. but besides the few well-known ones (Alclad, et al) none of them look like chrome to me.

Look forward to seeing your technique on that one.

GRAVEL-ROAD CHROME.

2010_0215Photobucket10009.jpg

2010_0225Photobucket10022.jpg

2010_0225Photobucket10025.jpg

2008_1201Photobucket10090.jpg

Now back to the leather :huh: .

Edited by Treehugger Dave

There's half of it...but the more interesting part for the rest of us is the "what is it?" segment of the question. Feel free to put it in another topic thread or something, but frankly I think there's a lot more general interest in this than the seat stuff. I'm sure just about everyone here would love to know A) what it is B ) how it's done, and C) where you get it from.

Thanks!

I agree....this chrome plating topic and technique is going to draw a much bigger audience than the leather interior stuff........

I'm also quite interested in a step by step tutorial....From what I can see, the finish looks ok, but there seems to be a "sprinkle effect" on some of the pieces...perhaps it's just the lighting?

Looks like Dave is going to have to elaborate a bit more here....Too many unanswered questions.... crisper, sharper pics could also help as well.

Remember too, that every skin or piece that you get from a thrift store varies in thickness, so always measure the thickness of the area of the piece your considering to use - never assume anything.

What kind of thrift stores are you talking about? I never heard of a thrift store that sells animal hides! :) Or are you talking about old gloves, leather skirts and things like that?

Wowsers Dave,

It appears this topic has morphed partly into a chrome paint thread. Please allow me to join in with some of my observations…

I saw the 350Z you had painted with your chrome at the GSL and you told me you invented the system as well as an airbrush to apply it. Honestly, Karmodeler2s description while arguably a tad on the harsh side is still a rather accurate assessment of what I saw too. Certainly it was not as good as the existing standard mainstream mediums today such as Alclad and Alsa. Photos can hide a lot of flaws; my eyesight saw it for what it was. Maybe you have refined it, if so good for you, and maybe the modeling community as a whole?

You made it sound like it was something you were going to sell. Are you?

You speak of sharing your vast knowledge, but if you are not going to sell it, why not share with us how you do it? You say you have perfected your painting system, this should be as easy to explain to us with out us having learn by trial and error.

If you are planning to sell it, protect your “secretâ€, but don’t dangle it in front of everyone and withhold it from the modeling community.

To quote you: “To me sharing is something we should all do to help each other. If someone is afraid to share their "Secrets", then to me they probably have a pretty shallow sense of their own skills and abilities - SAD.†That is Ironic.

I was also wondering about your term of “inventing†an airbrush to apply it. Is it really accurate to say that? If it was me, I’d share my invention with the community, again unless I was planning to market it. Is that the case?

You use grand terms for what you do, like “scratchbuilding†for parts I can clearly see are production kit parts. Both because I recognize what kit they are from and the tell tale mold lines and sink marks no one would ever intentionally “scatchbuild†into a part. So “inventing†an airbrush just seemed to me to be your brand of over the top hyperbole too.

But it seems to me if you have this system for chroming parts it would make sense to rework vacuum metalized kit parts and rechrome them before claiming they were scratchbuilt. Not honest, but at least it would a little closer to believable.

But referring to kit parts, even if they came from a different kit, or are modified as “scratchbuilt†is patently dishonest and an insult to all of us who actually do scratchbuild. As in from scratch, you know raw materials…

Now I’ll go back to building my out of the box build that I will proudly claim as simply out of the box…

Wowsers Dave,

It appears this topic has morphed partly into a chrome paint thread. Please allow me to join in with some of my observations…

I saw the 350Z you had painted with your chrome at the GSL and you told me you invented the system as well as an airbrush to apply it. Honestly, Karmodeler2s description while arguably a tad on the harsh side is still a rather accurate assessment of what I saw too. Certainly it was not as good as the existing standard mainstream mediums today such as Alclad and Alsa. Photos can hide a lot of flaws; my eyesight saw it for what it was. Maybe you have refined it, if so good for you, and maybe the modeling community as a whole?

You made it sound like it was something you were going to sell. Are you?

You speak of sharing your vast knowledge, but if you are not going to sell it, why not share with us how you do it? You say you have perfected your painting system, this should be as easy to explain to us with out us having learn by trial and error.

If you are planning to sell it, protect your "secret", but don't dangle it in front of everyone and withhold it from the modeling community.

To quote you: "To me sharing is something we should all do to help each other. If someone is afraid to share their "Secrets", then to me they probably have a pretty shallow sense of their own skills and abilities - SAD." That is Ironic.

I was also wondering about your term of "inventing" an airbrush to apply it. Is it really accurate to say that? If it was me, I'd share my invention with the community, again unless I was planning to market it. Is that the case?

You use grand terms for what you do, like "scratchbuilding" for parts I can clearly see are production kit parts. Both because I recognize what kit they are from and the tell tale mold lines and sink marks no one would ever intentionally "scatchbuild" into a part. So "inventing" an airbrush just seemed to me to be your brand of over the top hyperbole too.

But it seems to me if you have this system for chroming parts it would make sense to rework vacuum metalized kit parts and rechrome them before claiming they were scratchbuilt. Not honest, but at least it would a little closer to believable.

But referring to kit parts, even if they came from a different kit, or are modified as "scratchbuilt" is patently dishonest and an insult to all of us who actually do scratchbuild. As in from scratch, you know raw materials…

Now I'll go back to building my out of the box build that I will proudly claim as simply out of the box…

laugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.gif

I LOVE THIS cool.gif

You guys got me -

Got a long hate PM to boot today from one of you guys accusin me of bein' a charlaton and a fake - guess it must be true, 'cause ya'll say so.

YA'LL MUST BE TIRED OF MY LYIN', LOOKIN' FOR ATTENTION, AND CARRYIN' ON AND SUCHwink.gif THAT'S OK.

I'll just wait 'till yer all done before I post anymore on this thread. Guy that PM'd me said the leather looked like it came from an elephants a$$ - HEY, MAYBE IT DOES rolleyes.gif .

GUESS THIS SIMPLE PLASTIC HOBBY STUFF JUST TURNED INTO SOMETHIN' WAY MORE SERIOUS biggrin.gif .

HEY - YA BETTER TELL MODEL MARTIN TO VOID HIS THREAD ABOUT ME IN 1962 AT THE WINTER NATIONALS, 'CAUSE IT'S PROBABLY JUST A LIE THE GUYS TOLD IN THE MAGAZINE cool.gif . - SEE YA

ANYONE who CAN'T do what DAVE CAN do is GONNA be jealous! That's just OBVIOUS!!! You guys got ALLOT of nerve when YOU can't build like HIM! I thought that THIS kinda stuff was over now that lugnuts was gone, but I see ENVY and JEALOUSY NEVER has enough class to know when to quit! HAVE EITHER one of YOU two won as many awards as Dave?!?! You guys USED to have my respect, an even though I saw your Truck at Toledo, I didn't think you'd make such cheap remarks, You SEEMED to have alot of class then, Maybe I was wrong! Any YOU Mr. Seven, I guess If I had built SEVEN of the SAME car, I'd be gettin good at it too!!!! This kinda little girl snipeing is a GREAT reason for someone to leave this board! It just seems to have lost ALOT of it's Class and Style, and THAT truely is a dam shame! Someone just wants to share some tips and knowledge, and he gets SHAFTED for it? I wouldn't blame him if he left. But Dave's got MORE class than SOME guys on this board! This kinda JUNK is a REAL nice homecoming for our Brother Clay ta hafta see after bein gone for so long!!! This place is gettin to be just a shell of the GREAT forum it used to be!!!

Sorry you had to be exposed to this nonsense, but I know Dave, and he is TOTALLY undeserving of this attack on his talent! When you can't just accept it for what it IS, a true EFFORT to HELP his fellow modelers, then maybe some guys are in the WRONG hobby! ANYTIME someone offers help to those who DON'T know, or have the knowledge of a procedure, it should be appericiated! SIMPLE as that! He offered his knowledge out of his love of the hobby, and THIS is how he's treated?

Sorry, I can't jive with that! We can ALL learn new tricks, and to call someone out JUST for tryin to help just ain't right!!!

To be honest Dave, and since you asked, yes some of us apparently are tired of your self promoting antics without any true documentation to back them up. You say you got a hate PM from "one of us guys".

Number one, who are you lumping me in with?

Number two, doesn't something strike you as odd that more than one person has thrown the B.S. flag about your grand claims, your integrity/honesty as it were?

Number three, I don't see you backing up anything, just sarcastically commenting. A common sign of someone who has been caught with their hand in the proverbial cookie jar.

Dave, I think you have been outed and you know it. But I also suspect you're not going to own up to it. If I were in your place and the claims were true, I'd back it up. Not cry "oh it's only a hobby". In just about every one of your previous posts you clearly show us that you take this hobby far more serious than your last comments would have us believe.

Why else would you ostensibly live on this board reposting the same pictures over and over? Waiting and hanging on every response? Responding in amazingly quick time to anything you see as a chance to brag about yourself and what you've accomplished.

Those of us who see the flaws in your statements that defy what we know to be the standards of the industry, (like of what you say you have scratchbuilt) have politely declined to comment. But enough is enough.

I have seen your models in person and spoken to you too. Don't take this as bashing, (although I am confident your fans will take it as such)it is simply being honest. I doubt you recall even talking to me, the conversation was pretty much one way, all about you and only you and your "inventions" of products and hardware that have been in the mainstream hobbyists realm for decades.

I had to laugh in one instance when a patron of the GSL was reading my "How I built this" book for my Super 7 and you assumed he was looking at your diecast green Ford (you know the one with the "flying" red seatbelts) that was to the right of it. You swooped in to hawk your model, talk it up, as you did with anyone who stopped near any of your entries. The guy looked at you and shook his head and walked away. Nice job. I'm sure that guy felt really comfortable. I guess it wasn't important to you that he wasn't interested or may have only wanted to enjoy the show at his pace.

It is bad form to openly brag about your model like that at a contest. I don't care who does it, it's crass and tacky at best.

If your model is worthy, the people who want to know about it will find you.

And since you enjoy bragging here about how many awards you have won with your models, maybe you'd like own up to me beating you in every class you entered in that I also entered in at GSL. Does it make me "better"? Hell no, and that is the point. But I am not the one claiming a resting spot on my laurels as you are.

I do have significant credentials, not that I need to share them with most of my posts to show my work for what it is. Getting into a pissing contest about what we've accomplished in the industry is not going to serve the greater good of the hobby. And an award, at best, only means you were better than the others that showed up that one day. I'm not arrogant enough to think I am the best, let alone even one of top of many many builders even with what I have earned.

And to throw a red herring in about something that happened at the 1962 Winternationals. Irrelevant. Deflection. Own up man, answer the questions posed. You mustered the energy to respond, how about responding to the issues at hand?

Now, please explain these claims you have repeatedly made on this open forum. You have the right to make these claims just as I and all the other members have the right to politely ask you to back it up with facts.

Prove me wrong about how the taillights that came in my kit with the exact same sink markings and mold lines under the chrome came to be scratchbuilt by you on your model?

As you say :"If someone is afraid to share their "Secrets", then to me they probably have a pretty shallow sense of their own skills and abilities". Yep, gotta say you must be speaking from deep inside of what you know.

I suspect you will cry foul and or try to joke your way out of telling us the truth or otherwise providing an explanation for the issues I am asking you to clarify and you'll hope that the guys who like your stuff come to your defense.

And by the way, I think it is great so many people like your stuff, the more people are inspired the more people will build. And you may note that I am not saying I didn't like your stuff. Be fair.

And to be clear I have met Dave, I have seen his his work in person and I can build. Do a little research before you shoot the messenger. And for God's sake don't spew that jealousy line to me.

And if you really, with an open mind, read what I wrote, the issue is not the quality of the building, it is the over the top claims of how he did it and the fact that he won't share as he preaches we all should. I have not attacked his talent.

I don't think it is tasteful to constantly tell us how great your stuff is Dave, it is crass; but then be a full blown hypocrite when asked to share your methods? That is the issue. Have a wonderful day and enlighten us if you can, you know, put your money where you mouth is. Or hide behind jokes if you can't bring yourself to be an adult and come clean instead of hiding behind some well meaning fans doing your bidding and ranting because they are misunderstanding the issues I have set forth. I'm really quite sure you won't pony up with a legitimate explanation. PLEASE prove me wrong.

Edited by Scale-Master

Sorry you had to be exposed to this nonsense, but I know Dave, and he is TOTALLY undeserving of this attack on his talent! When you can't just accept it for what it IS, a true EFFORT to HELP his fellow modelers, then maybe some guys are in the WRONG hobby! ANYTIME someone offers help to those who DON'T know, or have the knowledge of a procedure, it should be appericiated! SIMPLE as that! He offered his knowledge out of his love of the hobby, and THIS is how he's treated?

Sorry, I can't jive with that! We can ALL learn new tricks, and to call someone out JUST for tryin to help just ain't right!!!

is your caps lock button broke?

:P

on a more semi serious point:

i thought i joined what i thought would have been a "mature" forum so i don't have to read through all the childish banter and nonsense.

i have been mistaken. at least a little bit.

i was looking forward to seeing this new trick that i could have done with interiors, then some people decide to derail the train and so-on. Dave is really good at what he does, no matter how much people talk down on his work. He's better than ME, but i look to learn so i can at least achieve his level of skill. *edit* not all people have met him or talked to Dave in person, so not everybody talking trash is gutless.

There is a very valid point that can be made through all instances of life. You may think you're the best at a specific talent, but no matter what you think, there's always going to be somebody out there who's better than you at the same thing. NOBODY is perfect. NOBODY is exempt from that rule.

I guess what i'm trying to say is that this forum should be a place that is family oriented, friendly, welcoming, and a place where we can all come together and do what we love. We all love car models. WHY ELSE ARE WE HERE??? i am here to learn new things. I love looking at other work to see what has been done and how many hours are put into some projects so i can apply that knowledge to my own projects. I don't know about you but i think if people are trying to call each other out over something as stupid and petty as this, then they have insecurity issues, or suffer from elitism - carefully picking apart everybody's work AND FOR WHAT? what is there to gain? take... off.... the blinders....

Dave - keep doing what you're doing, ignore the people who have nothing good to say. I want to learn things from you, especially the topic of this discussion. You are very good at what you do, and plenty of people can learn from you.

To the negative nancies: If you can't say anything nice, shut up and go build some models.

Edited by wgflatliner

To be honest Dave, and since you asked, yes some of us apparently are tired of your self promoting antics without any true documentation to back them up. You say you got a hate PM from "one of us guys".

Number one, who are you lumping me in with?

Number two, doesn't something strike you as odd that more than one person has thrown the B.S. flag about your grand claims, your integrity/honesty as it were?

Number three, I don't see you backing up anything, just sarcastically commenting. A common sign of someone who has been caught with their hand in the proverbial cookie jar.

Dave, I think you have been outed and you know it. But I also suspect you're not going to own up to it. If I were in your place and the claims were true, I'd back it up. Not cry "oh it's only a hobby". In just about every one of your previous posts you clearly show us that you take this hobby far more serious than your last comments would have us believe.

Why else would you ostensibly live on this board reposting the same pictures over and over? Waiting and hanging on every response? Responding in amazingly quick time to anything you see as a chance to brag about yourself and what you've accomplished.

Those of us who see the flaws in your statements that defy what we know to be the standards of the industry, (like of what you say you have scratchbuilt) have politely declined to comment. But enough is enough.

I have seen your models in person and spoken to you too. Don't take this as bashing, (although I am confident your fans will take it as such)it is simply being honest. I doubt you recall even talking to me, the conversation was pretty much one way, all about you and only you and your "inventions" of products and hardware that have been in the mainstream hobbyists realm for decades.

I had to laugh in one instance when a patron of the GSL was reading my "How I built this" book for my Super 7 and you assumed he was looking at your diecast green Ford (you know the one with the "flying" red seatbelts) that was to the right of it. You swooped in to hawk your model, talk it up, as you did with anyone who stopped near any of your entries. The guy looked at you and shook his head and walked away. Nice job. I'm sure that guy felt really comfortable. I guess it wasn't important to you that he wasn't interested or may have only wanted to enjoy the show at his pace.

It is bad form to openly brag about your model like that at a contest. I don't care who does it, it's crass and tacky at best.

If your model is worthy, the people who want to know about it will find you.

And since you enjoy bragging here about how many awards you have won with your models, maybe you'd like own up to me beating you in every class you entered in that I also entered in at GSL. Does it make me "better"? Hell no, and that is the point. But I am not the one claiming a resting spot on my laurels as you are.

I do have significant credentials, not that I need to share them with most of my posts to show my work for what it is. Getting into a pissing contest about what we've accomplished in the industry is not going to serve the greater good of the hobby. And an award, at best, only means you were better than the others that showed up that one day. I'm not arrogant enough to think I am the best, let alone even one of top of many many builders even with what I have earned.

And to throw a red herring in about something that happened at the 1962 Winternationals. Irrelevant. Deflection. Own up man, answer the questions posed. You mustered the energy to respond, how about responding to the issues at hand?

Now, please explain these claims you have repeatedly made on this open forum. You have the right to make these claims just as I and all the other members have the right to politely ask you to back it up with facts.

Prove me wrong about how the taillights that came in my kit with the exact same sink markings and mold lines under the chrome came to be scratchbuilt by you on your model?

As you say :"If someone is afraid to share their "Secrets", then to me they probably have a pretty shallow sense of their own skills and abilities". Yep, gotta say you must be speaking from deep inside of what you know.

I suspect you will cry foul and or try to joke your way out of telling us the truth or otherwise providing an explanation for the issues I am asking you to clarify and you'll hope that the guys who like your stuff come to your defense.

And by the way, I think it is great so many people like your stuff, the more people are inspired the more people will build. And you may note that I am not saying I didn't like your stuff. Be fair.

And to be clear I have met Dave, I have seen his his work in person and I can build. Do a little research before you shoot the messenger. And for God's sake don't spew that jealousy line to me.

And if you really, with an open mind, read what I wrote, the issue is not the quality of the building, it is the over the top claims of how he did it and the fact that he won't share as he preaches we all should. I have not attacked his talent.

I don't think it is tasteful to constantly tell us how great your stuff is Dave, it is crass; but then be a full blown hypocrite when asked to share your methods? That is the issue. Have a wonderful day and enlighten us if you can, you know, put your money where you mouth is. Or hide behind jokes if you can't bring yourself to be an adult and come clean instead of hiding behind some well meaning fans doing your bidding and ranting because they are misunderstanding the issues I have set forth. I'm really quite sure you won't pony up with a legitimate explanation. PLEASE prove me wrong.

there comes a point in time when nobody really cares. we're here to learn, are we not? true claims, false claims, insurance claims.. blah blah blah.

ANYONE who CAN'T do what DAVE CAN do is GONNA be jealous! That's just OBVIOUS!!! You guys got ALLOT of nerve when YOU can't build like HIM! I thought that THIS kinda stuff was over now that lugnuts was gone, but I see ENVY and JEALOUSY NEVER has enough class to know when to quit! HAVE EITHER one of YOU two won as many awards as Dave?!?! You guys USED to have my respect, an even though I saw your Truck at Toledo, I didn't think you'd make such cheap remarks, You SEEMED to have alot of class then, Maybe I was wrong! Any YOU Mr. Seven, I guess If I had built SEVEN of the SAME car, I'd be gettin good at it too!!!! This kinda little girl snipeing is a GREAT reason for someone to leave this board! It just seems to have lost ALOT of it's Class and Style, and THAT truely is a dam shame! Someone just wants to share some tips and knowledge, and he gets SHAFTED for it? I wouldn't blame him if he left. But Dave's got MORE class than SOME guys on this board! This kinda JUNK is a REAL nice homecoming for our Brother Clay ta hafta see after bein gone for so long!!! This place is gettin to be just a shell of the GREAT forum it used to be!!!

Um George, David Morton and Mark Jones can out-build just about anyone on this board or any other board for that matter, [give or take a few other "big names" here and there].....I didn't get the impression that they are jealous of anything. They just asked some interesting questions that "Treehugger" chose to dodge and evade....

Aw shucks, I guess the Hugger's secret chrome plating tricks won't be disclosed to us now.....

....Oh well, back to the boring old alclad paint...*sigh*

Edited by J. Sauber