Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

VW Crew Cab

11 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

This was another project I had completed for the Atlanta show. This one was awarded a "top 10". This too was a re-built project. The base kit is the Revell "California Roller" (the green one).

Hope you guys like it:

Primer- you can see the 100% scratchbuilt frame/chassis

CRW_0104_RJ-vi.jpg

The original idea was to have a front spoiler and manitain the same fender flares from the original kit, as you will see in the later pictures, I opted for the bumpers and a more "stock looking" fender area:

CRW_0093_RJ-vi.jpg

Finished model:

CRW_0105_RJ-vi.jpg

With roof-rack (thanks for the idea Dave Hessler!):

CRW_0104_RJ-vi.jpg

With roof-rack and boards:

CRW_0107_RJ-vi.jpg

Blown, oposing-four!

CRW_0108_RJ-vi.jpg

CRW_0125_RJ-vi.jpg

CRW_0123_RJ-vi.jpg

The alternator and oil-pump are machined too:

CRW_0121_RJ-vi.jpg

More pics in my fotki album!

Posted · Report post

I'm glad you took it apart to photograph it Dirk. When David was telling me that you were taking it apart my heart skipped a beat, now I see why you did. The pictures of the motor have me at a loss for words. The motor is a model in itself. Wonderful work.

Posted · Report post

I LOVED THE CHEVY PU. BUT HAVE A THING WITH VW CREW CABS . ALL I CAN SAY IS KILLER RIDE.PAPAFO 8)

Posted · Report post

Thanks for the kind words, guys.

Rick- What does "PAPAFO" mean?

Posted · Report post

:) Love it! Your finished model displays both craftsmanship and design in ample quantities. That Revell VW bus kit is so awful. I put 2 coats of Dupont 30S Gray primer on mine and it was still green! I can hardly wait to see what you can do to a Bugzapper! :twisted:

Andy

Posted · Report post

Fantastic build. That is one wicked VW. The engine is outrageous.

Posted · Report post

Beautiful VW crew cab. I love the colors and the stance. What type of front suspension did you use? ...ratrodder

Posted · Report post

Beautiful VW crew cab. I love the colors and the stance. What type of front suspension did you use? ...ratrodder

I actually scratch built the entire chassis and then I scratched the lower control arms for some coil-overs. It was a rebuild from about '97 so I stayed with that set up.

Posted · Report post

just out of curiosity what are those two belt driven things under the pushrod tubes/cylinders?

Posted · Report post

just out of curiosity what are those two belt driven things under the pushrod tubes/cylinders?

William- Those are actually an alternator and a oil pump. I wish I had taken better pictures of those (particularly before I put it together) as I machined both peices. The alternator is made from about 5 pieces and the oil pump from 4.

Hail Rasta...Selassie I!

Posted · Report post

ah i see, yes those are very cool pieces, its always a shame to bury good work but at least you know its there.

seems you and i might share some interests: VWs and HIM at least.