Model Cars Magazine Forum

VW Crew Cab

ScrappyJ

This was another project I had completed for the Atlanta show. This one was awarded a "top 10". This too was a re-built project. The base kit is the Revell "California Roller" (the green one).

Hope you guys like it:

Primer- you can see the 100% scratchbuilt frame/chassis

CRW_0104_RJ-vi.jpg

The original idea was to have a front spoiler and manitain the same fender flares from the original kit, as you will see in the later pictures, I opted for the bumpers and a more "stock looking" fender area:

CRW_0093_RJ-vi.jpg

Finished model:

CRW_0105_RJ-vi.jpg

With roof-rack (thanks for the idea Dave Hessler!):

CRW_0104_RJ-vi.jpg

With roof-rack and boards:

CRW_0107_RJ-vi.jpg

Blown, oposing-four!

CRW_0108_RJ-vi.jpg

CRW_0125_RJ-vi.jpg

CRW_0123_RJ-vi.jpg

The alternator and oil-pump are machined too:

CRW_0121_RJ-vi.jpg

More pics in my fotki album!

I'm glad you took it apart to photograph it Dirk. When David was telling me that you were taking it apart my heart skipped a beat, now I see why you did. The pictures of the motor have me at a loss for words. The motor is a model in itself. Wonderful work.

Beautiful VW crew cab. I love the colors and the stance. What type of front suspension did you use? ...ratrodder

I actually scratch built the entire chassis and then I scratched the lower control arms for some coil-overs. It was a rebuild from about '97 so I stayed with that set up.

just out of curiosity what are those two belt driven things under the pushrod tubes/cylinders?

William- Those are actually an alternator and a oil pump. I wish I had taken better pictures of those (particularly before I put it together) as I machined both peices. The alternator is made from about 5 pieces and the oil pump from 4.

Hail Rasta...Selassie I!