Model Cars Magazine Forum

A Couple of New Masters

Well, what can I say? :D I still hold the CDL but it's 'Former Truckdriver" these days. When you put 100,000 miles on one truck and it runs, rides and drives that nicely, you tend to remember the little things... My Eagle had a 475+ hp plant with a 13 speed, 300 gal. fuel capacity, sliding 5th-wheel, owner-operator package... lot's of bells and whistles inside and out... and it would stand up and STROLL. The company took me out of it when the lease was up and put me in a roughriding, Freightshaker Columbia fleet truck with less horsepower, 100 gal. less fuel capacity than the Eagle and a 10 speed gearbox... I considered myself lucky to have an A/C in that one it was built so cheap... The Columbia didn't even have a seperate handvalve for the trailerbrakes... I'd never seen a tractor without independant trailer brake control before... There's just no comparison between the two... Anyhow, now that I'm done ranting, I'll get back on topic... You'll also notice the one-piece wraparound windshield of the newer daycab versus the two-piece flat glass of the Prosleeper cab that I posted which is what his cab/sleeper master represents. I remember the two piece windshield quite well because I had to have the driverside replaced once. (Picture that older white 9400i in burgundy metallic with aluminum wheels all around and chrome bumper and you'll get a good idea of what mine looked like). Also notice, like I said before, it's like International did some 'kitbashing' themselves when building different series'. The prototype picture of the black Eagle that chuckyr posted...notice that it has the same cab/sleeper that my pictured 9400 has BUT, a very different hood, I think that's a 9900 series hood? I am in nooooo means complaining, just trying to help keep thing clear and I've probably made them as clear as mud! I'm just gonaa sit back and relax and watch where he goes with these. Wherever it is, it'll be fun! and I'll get to build mah Eagle!!!HappyHappyHappy!!!

"I still hold the CDL but it's 'Former Truckdriver" these days."

You sound like me, Wagoneer81! I drove for 12 years and probably had close to if not more than 1,000,000 safe miles in the seat, up until Feb of last year, anyway. I had a slight mishap on a street (I was driving for a local company driving the same routes every week) I'd had my Mack CH daycab and 28 foot pup trailer down dozens of times, but that day, turned on the street and didn't realize that the electric and cable lines that went across the street caught the top corner of my trailer. That is, until a phone pole next to my trailer snapped and crashed into the side of it! I sat in the truck for 45 minutes until the electric company came and shut the power off, and those were the longest 45 minutes of my life! Thankfully, no one was hurt and the only damage was the pole that hit my trailer, it poked a small hole in the roof and dented the side and roof where it hit the trailer, and two other poles down the street that snapped from me pulling the lines. Anyway,

"I'll get back on topic... You'll also notice the one-piece wraparound windshield of the newer daycab versus the two-piece flat glass of the Prosleeper cab"

You noticed something I forgot about! :angry:

"Also notice, like I said before, it's like International did some 'kitbashing' themselves when building different series'. The prototype picture of the black Eagle that chuckyr posted...notice that it has the same cab/sleeper that my pictured 9400 has BUT, a very different hood, I think that's a 9900 series hood? I am in nooooo means complaining, just trying to help keep thing clear and I've probably made them as clear as mud! I'm just gonaa sit back and relax and watch where he goes with these. Wherever it is, it'll be fun!"

I agree, International liked to kitbash, too, and I also agree it will be fun!

By the way, my favorite truck was a 2000 Freightliner Classic XL with a Detroit Series 60 rated at 470 hp with an Eaton Super 10 transmission, imagine this one

HPIM1580.jpg

with a two tone blue paint job, and yes, it was a major company's fleet truck, but other than the 65 mph governed speed, on a hill, it would even outpull many owner operator trucks. It passed many shiny Petes and Kenworth (and don't forget Western Stars) up those hills, even fully loaded at 80,000 pounds!

The day cab I'm building is an "I" series. It has the curved windshield, and modified door windows. I'm planning on an "I" Prosleeper in the future.

The Prosleeper that I'm building, ( and shown in Wagoneer's post) are earlier, non "I" cabs with the flat windshield. Some people would call Wagoneer's a "transition" truck, that has the "I" hood, with the older cab. These were only available for about a year or so.

Chuck, the grill does have a curve to it in the vertical plane, but viewed from the side it is straight, until it reaches the fenders and then curves around to the sides. The vertical curve isn't visable in the pic I posted, because it was taken head-on, but don't worry, its there..

The day cab I'm building is an "I" series. It has the curved windshield, and modified door windows. I'm planning on an "I" Prosleeper in the future.

The Prosleeper that I'm building, ( and shown in Wagoneer's post) are earlier, non "I" cabs with the flat windshield. Some people would call Wagoneer's a "transition" truck, that has the "I" hood, with the older cab. These were only available for about a year or so.

Chuck, the grill does have a curve to it in the vertical plane, but viewed from the side it is straight, until it reaches the fenders and then curves around to the sides. The vertical curve isn't visable in the pic I posted, because it was taken head-on, but don't worry, its there..

Give us a shot from 3/4 view.

Cargostar, I think that transition was around '99-2000, I think... Now it's clear. Put me down for one of each. ;)

• 3 weeks later...

Been a while for an update, but here goes!

First, here is an ALF Eagle raised roof that is just about done! Here is the first test pour.

ALFEagle001.jpg

With the cab will be included a set of interior panels to add some detail to the sides of the cab.

ALFEagle002.jpg

These panels will be available seperatly, for those that are building a standard Trumpeter cab. The only modification that will be required will be to shorten the rear "post" area.

Second is the Loadstar project.

Thinking of the fire department applications first, I've been working on a travel-crew cab as the first cab.

Loadstar.jpg

Thinking of the fire department applications first, I've been working on a travel-crew cab as the first cab.

Loadstar.jpg

That would be nice for highway dept. trucks, too. I know some states still use crew cab dump trucks. Nice work on the LaFrance cab, too.

Been a while for an update, but here goes!

First, here is an ALF Eagle raised roof that is just about done! Here is the first test pour.

ALFEagle001.jpg

With the cab will be included a set of interior panels to add some detail to the sides of the cab.

ALFEagle002.jpg

These panels will be available seperatly, for those that are building a standard Trumpeter cab. The only modification that will be required will be to shorten the rear "post" area.

Loadstar.jpg

crew.jpeg

Yes Chucky, it is the same cab (sort of) as used on the light line. The crew cabs used the standard "low" roof, and the standard cab had a "raised" roof top. All of my measurements have come off of a 65 1100 crew cab pick-up.

As far as a time line. The ALF will be very soon, and I'm guessing the 9400I will be next, then the Prosleeper, and the Loadstars.....of course its subject to change at will!!

• 1 month later...

More progress!! Slowly crossing things off the list on this one.

Got the grill into first prime.

ICab044.jpg

And the door panels into primer.

ICab046.jpg

I'm down to a center console, dash, windshield, and finishing the right quarter fender!

And then on to finishing the Prosleeper!!

• 4 months later...
  • 10 months later...