Model Cars Magazine Forum

High HP diesel engine

I would apprieciate some pics of some high horse power diesel engines 800hp an up also the trannys that these type engines would use to handle the horspower and torque created from the beasts. I am wanting to build some truck w/ monster custom high horsepower engines and I cant find any good pics for reference. Thanx 4 all the help.

Edited by 67PontiacGTO

The Cummins QST30 Can be had from the factory at 950HP.

qst30_hi3qtr.jpg

However you will not find that or any other engine,over 19 litres in a class 8 production truck.theQST 30 is a marine/industrial engine.

Late 70's to early to mid 80's Paccar did put some 650 HP 3408's and some 19 litre KT 450s and an aftercooled version (KT600)in on highway trucks until the practice was banned by law.

The oldest one I have seen was an 83 pete 352 with a KT 600 in it that was a factory show truck.

Now Cummins produces a QSK engine a 19litre electronic KT.these are for both marine and indusrial.I have seen them in boats and in Euclid 60 ton dumps that you find in stone quarrys

The largest Engine you will find in a highway truck in recent years would be the "Signature 600" from Cummins,which is no longer produced by that name...It is now thw ISX and is only available with 565hp off the production line.Cat also has a C15 600hp and I had heard rumors that they were going to produce a 650hp C18.but I have never seen one.Due to emmision laws(Tier4) Cat is no longer producing engines for the on highway truck market.

Again as I'm a diesel mechanic by trade and work mostly in the truck market some of my industrial/Marine knowledge is as good as it could be....I have worked in that market a couple years ago,but not recently.

I have to edit this...I just did a little research...I found out that the ISX is again available in a 600hp version begining with 2010 model year at 2050 ftlbs of torque@1800 rpm.

sorry to be misleading.

Rich

Edited by dad vader

Want to see some really big engines...Do a google search for Cummins QSK 78!!! They have come out with a QSK 78....This is a monster

It is a V18 with a 6.69 inch stroke and a 7.48 inch bore...This equals 4735cubic inchesor 77.6 litres,Advertises 3500hp@1900 rpm and 10,157 ft/lbs torque@1500 rpm.

The wet weight of this is is 24,916 pound and holds 304 quarts of motor oil.

Here is a link to the brochure,My link

However you will not find that or any other engine,over 19 litres in a class 8 production truck.theQST 30 is a marine/industrial engine.

Late 70's to early to mid 80's Paccar did put some 650 HP 3408's and some 19 litre KT 450s and an aftercooled version (KT600)in on highway trucks until the practice was banned by law.

The oldest one I have seen was an 83 pete 352 with a KT 600 in it that was a factory show truck.

Now Cummins produces a QSK engine a 19litre electronic KT.these are for both marine and indusrial.I have seen them in boats and in Euclid 60 ton dumps that you find in stone quarrys

The largest Engine you will find in a highway truck in recent years would be the "Signature 600" from Cummins,which is no longer produced by that name...It is now thw ISX and is only available with 565hp off the production line.Cat also has a C15 600hp and I had heard rumors that they were going to produce a 650hp C18.but I have never seen one.Due to emmision laws(Tier4) Cat is no longer producing engines for the on highway truck market.

Again as I'm a diesel mechanic by trade and work mostly in the truck market some of my industrial/Marine knowledge is as good as it could be....I have worked in that market a couple years ago,but not recently.

I have to edit this...I just did a little research...I found out that the ISX is again available in a 600hp version begining with 2010 model year at 2050 ftlbs of torque@1800 rpm.

sorry to be misleading.

Rich

Actually, the 352 was replaced by the 362 in 1980. Most likely, you saw an '83 362 with that engine.

I thought the higest HP for the N-14 was 525.

Yep,Thats correct...At first any N-14 over 460 was given cast ribbed top valvecovers and were painted red(Valvecovers only) and were called "Red-Tops"

After a few years they took the "Red-Tops" Back to 435 and above,The largest production N-14 was 525hp

However they did modify at least one for over 1000hp and was put into an International 8300 that was custom built to climb "Pikes Peak"

It was called the "Wild Thang",International also built the "Wild Thang II" which was modified to run the "Baja 1000".It was powered by a 750hp M-11.

Here is a Pic of the N-14 powered truckMy link

Edited by dad vader

When I worked for a re-man center, we were rebuilding transmissions that had the ability to hold up to 2200 lb-ft of torque. Can't wait to see what the next few years brings for engines. I have a feeling that as things get tougher, the people designing and building these engines will figure out ways to bump up the power!

you can always get a marine control box for just about every diesel engine thats placed in a class 8 truck. dont get caught with it in it. and it will surely void any warranty. i guy i used to work for had cat do some tweaking to his c-16 which stock was 600. after some work to timing and drilling out the injectors they got it to 829. then some more programing and last i heard it was 930. with a marine box for it the cat guys were projecting it over 1300. i dont know if the drive line can handle that much.