Model Cars Magazine Forum

Cars named after fish

I was having a chat with some friends the other day, and the subject turned to car as it often does. We got to talking about names and came to the conclusion that there were not a lot of production cars with English names of fish. In fact we could only come up with three - Barracuda/'cuda, Marlin and Stingray. We didn't include names like Mako Shark because that was a show/prototype car. We were only after production cars. Anybody out there with other names? If it is a rare or unusual car, if you could throw a photo up, that would be nice. Have fun with this one.

Edited by Pete J.

The Hyundai Tiburon, as "Tiburon" is Spanish for shark.

B)

which is why a lot people (myself included) refer to the newer models tiburons as tuscanis (the korean badge) since they lack the gills which were so prominent in the 03-06 models

You make it harder because there were a bunch of prototypes, in addition to Mako Shark there was the AMC Tarpon which was the Rambler-based prototype of the Marlin to name one...but....

There was a model of the Chevy Nova in the 1970s called "Shark" which was a cheap attempt to cash in on the popularity of the movie "Jaws"

76shark.jpg

I think they only built them in '76 Mark, I'm pretty sure, but hey we all can be wrong.

huh, didn't know that, lol!

It's funny, when that car first came out, the TV ads actually said "Tiburon...it's Spanish for 'shark'." You can tell you are scraping bottom for a car name when you have to tell people what the name means in the ads!

The AMC concept that spawned the Marlin was called the Tarpon. Does a fish-named concept count?

I figured I'd give it a try, just for the halibut... I'm sitting here on my perch, floundering around trying to think up fishy car names, but holy mackerel, the sole names I can think of have already been mentioned before.

kinda makes ya walleyed, heh!

I figured I'd give it a try, just for the halibut... I'm sitting here on my perch, floundering around trying to think up fishy car names, but holy mackerel, the sole names I can think of have already been mentioned before.

I know. You'll be here all week. Try the veal. Tip the wait staff well. Groan.