Model Cars Magazine Forum

Studeford

DanielG

So what tools and supplies did you use for performing what modifications? I've got a Bburago 1/24 metal kit of the Bugatti Atlantic, which needs some serious help just to make it authentic (cutting off air vents, opening the side mesh on the hood, fixing the seams on the fenders, and adding the signature rivets, etc.).

Also, I understand that aircraft stripper from a hardware store is the way to get rid of the baked-on paint. Or did you just paint over the metal finishes?

Your beautiful creation would make for a good build journal.

I completed this before any thought of documentation on a web site so I have no pictures of the build. I used a Zona saw to make the cuts. I rehashed the suspension to give a bit of a rake and widened the rims to accommodate the GMP tires. Added some brass and rubber brake lines and gas line. I was able to hack and chop the thing to get the Ford V8 mounted, no easy task! The folded rag-top cover is leather glued over a wooden base and then painted and 'tacked' to make it look like it has snap fastenings. I have pretty much given up on trying to remove the factory paint from die-cast and just sand and primer over it (it is baked on solid and supplies a good base). The doors were altered to a rear hinge just because I think it looks cooler on older cars and I really hate the large hinge that die-cast cars come with. The box cover is plastic. The rest is just little details that came to mind at the time and I could probably have done more but I was anxious to move on to something else (I am thinking it was a front pumper fire truck (converted from the HWY61 mid-pumper) which is now at the local firehall and I would like to get some pictures of it and post them here).

Edited by DanielG

I might also add that as well as the saw mentioned above I used a battery of small files and what seemed like reams of sandpaper! If you are going to make any serious mods to a die-cast car then you pretty much have to disassemble it and remove all the plastic bits. If you are lucky you can do this without trashing the paint (if you plan on retaining it). I have a '58 Impala on my bench and watching this build will pretty much show any of the methods employed in previous builds.