Model Cars Magazine Forum

50 Ford pickup painted

oldscool

Got another one painted today while the weather is good. This is Testors metallic copper. It has a satin sheen to it now but I will clear coat it after I put on the scallop decals that come in the box. Going to use the wide whites and stock hubcaps that come with it with maybe red wheels. Thinking about doing the area around the headlight buckets in red also. Will definitely go with lowered stance on this one. I haven't decided on the engine yet as I don't want to waste the Ardun flattie on a pickup. It will go much better in a deuce that I am planning. This one has got me really excited! :lol:

IMG_0112.jpg

IMG_0111.jpg

IMG_0113.jpg

Edited by oldscool

Thanks for the compliments everyone and Railfreak it's the sunshine that has got me motivated :lol: .We have had 4 straight days of sun. The first time the sun has shone in this area since Christmas!! :lol:

Daniel, I like the satin finish too but from my experience with these Testors paints they tarnish and turn dark with age if you don't clear coat them. Especially the old plain silver, gold and copper. They seem to tarnish the worst where you touch them. I remember my uncle having an old AMT Lincoln annual that was painted copper and after a few years it turned a dark brown.

oldscool

Edited by oldscool

After a nerve wracking decal session, this is where it stands. All it needs is a couple of gloss coats and the running boards painted black. I left off the door scallops as I thought it looked too busy with any more scallops on it. I'm really getting fired up over this one. :lol: This is one of my best paint jobs ever.

IMG_0144-1.jpg

IMG_0143-1.jpg

IMG_0142-1.jpg

oldscool

Thanks cranky. I was getting bogged down with the red oxide bomb so decided to go back to this one for awhile. Next step is the engine. I swapped the Ardun parts for the flathead parts from the 32 sedan kit. I know you don't like building engines but they are my favorite part of a build. I have 10 kits in the stash with nothing done but the engines LOL.

oldscool

Thanks for the comments everybody. As far as fit issues go, I did a lot of test fitting before painting and found no fit issues other than gaps where the front fenders meet the cab at the bottom. I will add some shims between the interior side panels and the cab to push the cab sides out a little and tighten up the gaps. Also, anyone who has built this kit knows that the hood is a loose fit but this is poor engineering on Revells part.

oldscool

B)

Nice paint and decals Man!

I have an AMT '53 Ford that will be customed and I was thinking about Krylon copper, scallops, red and white( not to fond of decal pain, will be air brushing,Thanks Cranky!)with a pearl coat.

Thank You for showing me the "look"!

Awesome Man!

Later Russ

;)

Thanks Dave for the tip on the holes for the hinges.I will block them off. Not sure about the wheel color as red seems to be so common these days. I may do them with some of the Testors Root Beer laquer along with the dash - whaddaya think? ;)

oldscool

I was thinking white also Dave. Think I'm gonna use the steelies from the Revell 29 Ford pickup complete with caps and trim rings. Gonna paint the white walls with Humbrol satin white as it has a slight off white tint to it. It also looks great for the off white "parchment" interiors that Mopar muscle cars came with.

oldscool

Philo, Ed and George those are all great builds! I like the fact that you went with the traditional Cragars George. Sorry Ed but I am just not a fan of big diameter wheels except on modern vehicles. As for the decals - my way of looking at it is what doesn't kill you makes you stronger. :lol: I'm thinking of going with a white bed cover to fit the 50s - early 60s vibe of the paint job.

oldscool

• 2 weeks later...