Model Cars Magazine Forum

Pseudo Baldwin Motion Camaro

Dragline

Now, while some may cry foul, I dislike the stripe on the Baldwin Motion cars. It's easy enough to mask off and not beyond me, but I just don't care for it.

I do however ADORE the car on the AMT box, even though it has the stripe. Soooo, I'm doing it as a Baldwin with the "ficticious" stripe delete package LOL.

I have it painted Testors Model Master Fathom green. Love that paint!

whd7o2.jpg

Testors 1814 clear coat [3 coats], followed by a rub and buff of Novis. Clear coat was allowed to dry one full week before the buff.

dce891.jpg

I'm going with semi gloss chin and rear spoiler as well as mirrors and hood. Interior is Buff and I'll be using the MCG detail set for it [when it ever gets here!]

rmtemd.jpg

This is an EXCELLENT kit and AMT had some great kits out at this time, including the 67 Impala SS [which is next].

Commentary is most welcomed natch.

Bob

Edited by Dragline

Bob, the stripe was an option too. So if you built one without it, it would still be accurate.smile.gif

Really? I'm no expert by any stretch so that's a bit of good news I suppose. I wasn't terribly worried but this keeps it legit.

As a mechanic for over 20 years with 17 in one garage I'm an expert at several cars [read: Ford Taurus, Chevy Caprice, Dodge Stratus and Intrepid]. Not Baldwin camaros.

Thanks George

Bob

Now that is such a beautiful color on that car that I just may have to pick up another one. Simply beautiful and I, too< do not like the BM stripes. That Camaro kit is a nice one. I'm doing a fictitious 70 1/2 Convertible on here right now. I like yours.

Later-

Thanks for the attaboys guys. John Bowers, very nice car there.

2utrxj7.jpg

I did a little foiling, but it still needs more. I made progress on the chassis but I'll post pix when it's mostly together.

mjll4z.jpg

The big block is coming together and I'm stripping the headers and sidepipes for flat black. I really like this kit but the sidepipes have 2 injector pin marks right out in the open on the tops of both of them. Probably my only quibble about it really.

dm7iwx.jpg

More to come.

Bob

Bob, this is sure looking great. I have a few of these kits and you are right, it is one of AMT's best. I love the paint on yours....very deep and smooth. This car will always have a place in my heart...my very first new car was a 1973 (same body) Camaro Rally Sport with a 350. I was such a great car, I wish I still owned her today. Anyway, yours is looking terrific, the colors suit it perfectly.

Bob-

That paint is such a beautiful color on that car. I'm glad to see too that you went with tan interior instead of black. Are you going to foil the tops of the doors? Your build is looking great. I got the grille and radiator wall in on mine along with the taillights and painting the sid marker lights. Hopefully I'll be done by next week.

Later-

Bob-

That paint is such a beautiful color on that car. I'm glad to see too that you went with tan interior instead of black. Are you going to foil the tops of the doors? Your build is looking great. I got the grille and radiator wall in on mine along with the taillights and painting the sid marker lights. Hopefully I'll be done by next week.

Later-

Yep, I'll be foiling the top of the doors. I have to foil in sessions. I cannot do it all at once or I'd go bananas. I plan on another finishing session tonight. I have to foil the marker lights as well as the headlight buckets and front running lights. That's a LOT of foiling! I'll be adding a drop of yellow to the front running light buckets before I put the lens on as well. My reference pix show it as a clear leans with an amber bulb. Right now I'm tackling the dash and side panel painting. Lots of silver trim on those. It's coming along nicely and the motor is drilled for plug boots and the dist is ready. The taillight lenses get chrome trim and the center section chrome as well. I have a PE carb kit that I'll be using for the linkages and throttle. Pray I don't go blind! LOL

Bob

Here are a few pix from last night work. I did a lot on the motor and other stuff, but I did finish the suspension and wheels so I threw it up on them. I also finished the rear and I have to hand it to AMT. They really made it easy to make it convincing.

qqdd91.jpg

zy6ptu.jpg

I'm gonna bite the bullet and paint the lettering on the rear wheels. I painted the redlines on the front and it looks pretty cool. I was not in the mood to foil last night so I put it off for another day. That's nice about having your own agenda and schedule. This kit is exceeding my expectations on all fronts

22j6sl.jpg

9te22p.jpg

Lots of work currently being performed on the motor so that's on the way shortly. Comments welcomed.

Bob

• 8 months later...