Model Cars Magazine Forum

Ford LTL 9000 Custom with Livestock Trailer

• 4 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...

I stumbled across an interesting Alclad color during a trip to the hobby shop (sort of an extended area LHS for me, since it is almost 90 miles away LOL! ) yesterday, it's called Holomatic Spectral Chrome. It looked interesting in the bottle, and first thought was it may make and interesting color for the fuel tanks on this. I happened to glance at a grille for the reefer while getting some stuff cleared off the desk to set up my spray booth and thought I'd see what it would look like on them. 

The first pic doesn't show the prismatic effect very well, and just a little shows in the second, but this pic is much better at showing the effect. 

Yes, I decided to paint the roof and floor with it too! The roof and floor aren't finished yet, I have to wait until I go back to the hobby shop again to get more! 

• 1 month later...

A little progress on this old girl, and the trailer roof and floor are complete! A Super Boss also has graciously "donated" its "Buzzin Dozen" for under the hood!

Of course, the other engine in the pics is the Kenworth's V16, everything is fighting for bench time!

I've been doing a little off and on with this, have the front axle mounted and shocks installed. I still have to put the drums on and the brake chambers, and have been throwing around the idea of plumbing the air system. 

HPIM4778_zps9bg3sugo.jpg

Even though I did this before I painted the tandem and landing gear, I also modified the landing gear crank to look as if it is in the stored position. I REALLY didn't like how Moebius molded the crank sticking out as if you were cranking the legs up or down. A little heat from a candle and a quick bend was all it took to make it look stored. 

HPIM4779_zpsfm4n3ju2.jpg

I also took a little more off the support for the back of the wing, and I think I have it just where I want it now, it appears to me as if it is just under the height of the trailer the way it should be. 

HPIM4781_zpsl4d63xyt.jpg

HPIM4782_zpsneh6leeu.jpg

I may also have another idea for motivation, even though I love my green engines, this one sorta looks good in the frame rails, at least until the Tyrone Malone kits get reissued and I pick up a case or two for the big Buzzen Dozens! :lol:

HPIM4784_zpsg9deg6vf.jpg

If I do stick with the 3406 though, it would give me an excuse to put an "Attack Cat" on the hood! :lol:

11ce27fb0a3cd0190b85ba5ebdf22512_zpsxgar

cool.glad to see your working on this again.I also have some loonnnggg term projects

cool.glad to see your working on this again.I also have some loonnnggg term projects

Yeah, this one thanks to life getting in the way has been a waaaaaaaaay looooooong term project that shouldn't have been. It's one of four projects I have all with a self imposed deadline of Sept 25th to be done for an upcoming show.

Matthew you can do it looking forward to seeing your completed builds. 

Why thank you Dan for the vote of confidence! :D

Though I must ask, what is this "completed builds" you speak of? :huh: I haven't had one completed in a very long time! :lol:

Matthew you said you had some builds that you are going to finish for the show your going to so I just wanted to let you know I'm supporting your effort in meeting your goal. 

Thank you again, but I was being sarcastic with the second part of my previous response. It has just been such a long time since I have actually completed a build! :D 

Thats no truck,its a rolling house highway LOL,looking good so far .

Thank you Andrew, and it's time for a little update. 

A small step towards getting this closer to something I haven't done in many, many years.....COMPLETION!! It's also another small step in learning a little more about using my airbrush, because this is the first time I've thinned regular paint to use in the airbrush and not just used a airbrush ready paint. 

I used Model Master USSR Fulcrum Gray/Green to hopefully get close to Detroit Green, and at least to my eyes, it is at least close. 

• 4 weeks later...

This has been sharing some bench time with my "BJ & the Bear" custom, and sharing some ideas as well. I was working on the monster 10" stacks for the other and found the way to connect the 8" stacks to this one as well. A bend out of a straw fit perfectly into the elbow of the 8" stack, an with a scrap piece of tubing inside the straw bend, it slides nicely over some of the kits exhaust pipes.

The "Y" pipe won't be used, but the ends will be cut off and added to whatever I come up with to connect the turbos on the buzzin dozen to the stacks. I first have to make a better rear engine mount to get the big V12 to sit level in the frame, and also a little redesign of the driveline by adding a second carrier bearing and an extra interaxle driveshaft between the transmission and the new carrier, because the original idea of connecting the transmission to the carrier bearing I originally made when I first built the frame quickly went out the window with the V12! After leveling the engine with the rear mount, that will pick the transmission up to a point that would send the driveshaft into not one, but two, frame crossmembers! 

The big news is that after the engine is installed and connected to the drivetrain, that big Buzzin Dozen will have a load to pull!! 

The trailer is about 95% complete, I still have some things to add to the rear suspension, and all the lights I want to add. I did start giving the trailer its chicken truck look by adding 3MM craft rhinestones to the top and rear side marker light positions, and 5MM to the tail/brake lights.

I'm also impressed with the way the Alclad prismatic chrome turned out, the roof, floor and reefer vents are painted with it to add to the colorshifting of the paint.