Model Cars Magazine Forum

Ford LTL 9000 Custom with Livestock Trailer

Oh, by the way everyone, very small mimi update. I have the last (hopefully) coat of paint drying as I type on the trailer. I got really lucky, because I beat the rain today, it was nice and sunny about an hour ago, and now it's raining! Good thing I got the paint out when I did. I should have some pics of the FINISHED trailer up by tomorrow night.

hey matt are you gonna put a mural on the front of the trailer too? and for your chicken lights are you gonna have them on chrome bars under the cab and sleeper? if so can ya tell me where to get long strips of chrome so i can get me some lol. also have you thought of a sky or baby blue for the frame? i really like the way this rig is shapin up, lookin like you could win some shows with this one.

dennis

hey matt are you gonna put a mural on the front of the trailer too? and for your chicken lights are you gonna have them on chrome bars under the cab and sleeper? if so can ya tell me where to get long strips of chrome so i can get me some lol. also have you thought of a sky or baby blue for the frame? i really like the way this rig is shapin up, lookin like you could win some shows with this one.

dennis

I'm not sure about a mural on the front of the trailer, I may have to throw that idea around! I'm not sure if I will have the chrome strips on or under the cab and sleeper yet, but one of my local hobby shops have K&S (I think) Stainless Steel strips, and I'm going to try to find some of that to try to make some! If I can't find the right size, I was planning on using some Evergreen plastic strips and cover them with BMF. I just wish there were still some shows close for me to take this to!

By the way, I will be starting working on the engine soon, but I won't be able to post pics immediately of it. I started this project as part of a community build on the "other" site that rhymes with Scrap Auto, and I know there are many others like me who post there as well as here, and the engine choice is top secret until the build is finished. There are other scale truckers talking scale trucker trash over there in that community build, and I'm going to blow not only their rigs off the road, but their minds as well! The only hint and teaser is it isn't a conventional Detroit or Cummins, it's a whole lot more! You'll just have to stay tuned until the big unveiling! :)

sweeeet!! lol now dont tease us , you know the difference between a fast truck and a large car : fast trucks change gears, large cars change lanes!! "comon" lol

dennis

You suck Matthew

I hate to tease, but the engine has to be secret for now. It will definitely make this a large car and it will be a triple digit truck that could fly if it had wings!

I hate to tease, but the engine has to be secret for now. It will definitely make this a large car and it will be a triple digit truck that could fly if it had wings!

I had a new peterbilt car carrier weighing in at 45,000 empty,company took it to cat got a ticker tape reading & i was told I drive to fast...I of course said,no I don't well,well read this... I did, it said truck was running at 107mph. My answer to that was I didn't know a car carrier could go that fast. It was a 475 C A true story.

Oh, by the way everyone, very small mimi update. I have the last (hopefully) coat of paint drying as I type on the trailer. I got really lucky, because I beat the rain today, it was nice and sunny about an hour ago, and now it's raining! Good thing I got the paint out when I did. I should have some pics of the FINISHED trailer up by tomorrow night.

I know I promised pics of the finished trailer on Saturday, but that won't be happening! The last coat of paint I put on Saturday was to fix where I had put a fingerprint in the roof and had to sand it out, and I thought that would be all for the trailer. I went to start the finishing touches on tonight like the rear tandems, doors, and landing gear, but for some reason, everywhere I touched a new fingerprint showed up in the paint! ARRRRRGGGGGG! :D So, trailer pics will not be coming for a while, I'm going to try to find a large enough container so the trailer can go for a swim in "Lake Brake"! I KNEW I SHOULDN'T USE KRYLON PAINT!! I have never had luck with it, but I that it was going to be different this time, the first coats came out so nice, except for the first fingerprint that was my fault. After over 24 hours, it should have been fine, but that wasn't the case. I still have some things to finish on the truck, so I can concentrate on that until I get the trailer stipped and get new paint on it.

I had the same thing happen to me with the krylon paint it was tacky or you could finger print it a week later. the black truck I did & the single axle were painted with Dupi-color import auto spray. works fine but, my horse trailer I have been working on now is finger printed from krylon paint all ready striping it down again.

I had the same thing happen to me with the krylon paint it was tacky or you could finger print it a week later. the black truck I did & the single axle were painted with Dupi-color import auto spray. works fine but, my horse trailer I have been working on now is finger printed from krylon paint all ready striping it down again.

I just had it off the shelf again (you know why Ken :P ) and it has been almost 6 full days since I sprayed it and just put TWO NEW fingerprints in the roof!!! I'm still trying to find something large enough to put it in so I can drown it in brake fluid, then after I have it stripped, I'm going back to my old stand by, DupliColor!

:D matt insted of going threw all that try wet sanding it with 1200 threw 2400if that dosen't work take it lake brack

I tried polishing cloths and also polishing compound, it dulled the roof, plus I'm getting fed up with the Krylon paint anyway! I think stripping it is my best option so it doesn't fly across the room! B)

will the brake fluid ruin your bondo work? im going to be doing a repair job and have never used brake fluid to strip paint.how long do i need to soak it?what do you clean the fluid off with?

I don't know if it would or not, but luckly all the Bondo is in the sleeper! There is no Bondo in the trailer.

Bathe that puppy and repaint it with Duplicolor! I'm working on the same trailer, to use behind my Chevy Titan so I do feel your pain. Please, NO FLYING TRAILERS!!! IF GOD HAD MEANT FOR THAT TRAILER TO FLY, HE'D HAVE GIVEN IT WINGS!!!! Sorry, Matt, I'm just trying to interject a little humor into the situation, is all. :P:D You'll hate yourself in the morning, not to mention having to buy another out of production trailer kit... :blink: Outside of the Krylon issue, this project is coming along nicely. The tractor looks great, I'm glad to see that you found a paint to your liking.

Now, as far as triple-digit trucks go, When I was driving OTR, we had an owner-operator that had a beautiful, red T-600, not sure of the year, but he was running a Twin-turbo 3406 that was pushing 550+ horsepower and could run 100+MPH. When he got a mind to go, my poor 2000 International just couldn't keep up with him... and it was a runner... Keep the Faith, Brother!!! :rolleyes:

• 2 months later...

Hey Highway I completely forgot you were doin this one,lol!So your paint issue, Im guessing that things swimmin by now but Im curious, this paint is it like a chrome paint?The duplicolor chrome paint does the same thing.Ive had my first 378 I built for almost 3 yrs now and still it is not dry.

hey mat now that your at the top of the forum list again, i think we all deserve to see some update pics of that big bad bull wagon!!atleast give up the goods on the motor!!! lol

dennis

Sorry, Dennis, but no update pics yet, but I didn't even realize it was since June since I worked on this. I got to get cranking because the community build it's entered in is due Dec 1! That, and I have to get the spray painting done before it gets cold!

As for the motor, I can't reveil it yet, enquiring minds from the other site that are also here would love that info, but I will give a slight hint. When the engine is in it, this truck will be pushing almost 2,000 HP!!!! So leave the hammer lane open for me, and if not, that big bumper will move you out of my way!! :P:P;)

Hey Highway I completely forgot you were doin this one,lol!So your paint issue, Im guessing that things swimmin by now but Im curious, this paint is it like a chrome paint?The duplicolor chrome paint does the same thing.Ive had my first 378 I built for almost 3 yrs now and still it is not dry.

It's been so long, I guess I forgot, too! :P:P;)

As for the paint issue, it still has to find it's way to the Purple Pond or Lake Brake, mainly because it's a pain trying to find a container with a lid so it can swim and keep the kitties out of it! The paint was in fact Krylon Original Chrome, and thanks for the heads up on the DupliColor Chrome, because that was going to be the next paint it WAS going to get. It looks like I may just have to paint it a duller aluminum.

yeah ive done boston with a classic xl 70" sleeper and a 53' behind it. fun fun fun!!! lol so much for forty acres

dennis

Yep, once in Worchester, Mass., it was more like forty feet than forty acres! :blink: I was delivering to a small strip mall where a new ACE hardware store was opening, and I had the store's new shelves in the box. It took me almost a half hour to wiggle that two tone blue Wenie Wagon Classic XL condo into the little dock, and that was with putting the nose of it into the woods behind the store up to the windshield!! After I finally got it in enough the forklift driver could get the dock plate in the trailer enough to unload it, I had guys in suits asking a bunch of questions like "How long is the trailer?" and "What is the total length of the unit?" and so on. After a few more questions like that, I asked the suits what they wanted to know all that for, and they said, "We wanted to see how difficult it was going to be for our company trucks to get in here." After I found that out, I told them start by cutting out some of the trees! :P

If I can't find the right size, I was planning on using some Evergreen plastic strips and cover them with BMF. I just wish there were still some shows close for me to take this to!

there are a few shows close to your area, toledo ohio nnl in oct, three rivers in pittsburg this month and old potbelly show in new stanton pa in nov. i have to check my list.....i'm sure i can come up with a few more. i will be at most of them, hope to see you at one