Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/12 `69 Camaro Z/28 - Silver w/ Black stripes, red interior, minilite wheels, DONE!

Hawk312

I know I`ve said other projects have made me want to quit building, but this was by far the most challenging project I`ve had yet. It shouldn`t have been so difficult, but it seemed to have fought me every step of the way, taking almost 5 months to complete!

Anyway, the guy who is getting this is the same guy who got the Burgundy one, so no mirrors or door handles again since this is going cross-country. Building this had me on pins and needles since he wanted the JL-8 brakes on this, and he sacrificed a $600 FM `67 Corvette die cast to send these to me. He also sent me the resin wheels, which have some real mass to them, and are much wider and heavier than the stockers. This meant alot of frame modifications, which was fun, without looking like anything was modified since he still wanted a factory appearance. The exhaust also had to be re-bent with an open flame, and then sectioned off to get it to fit. Shocks had to be moved to the inside of the springs. The kit plastic axles needed to be replaced with aluminum.

Another real challenge was the black stripes, which are completely masked off this time. No decals. The color is PPG Sebring Silver. He wanted red interior, which I thought was unique. And of course, the period correct window sticker, and California plates and inspection sticker this time.

Sorry for the lousy pics. The weather isn`t cooperating here in the Northeast, and I need to get this to this guy.

silvfinish2.jpg

silvfinish3.jpg

silvfinish5.jpg

silvfinish1.jpg

silvfinish4.jpg

silvfinish6.jpg

interiorredbig-1.jpg

chassisanwheels.jpg

The lug nuts:

lugs.jpg

Thanks so much everyone! I really appreciate it!

Are those wipers from the kit? They look absolutely real.

Yep, they are the kit wipers, believe it or not. They absolutely require bending to get them to fit right though. Without modification, they stick out about a scale foot from the windshield. :unsure:

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

My, but that is simply gorgeous!!!!!!!!!!!! The guy sacrificed a $600.00 model just for the disc brakes???????????????? Aw, YUCK! Some guys have wayyyyyyyyyy too much money......... I cringe at $40.00 for an old annual to restore and that guy drops six C notes just for brakes?

You did an awesome job.. masking off those stripes must have taken some serious effort and concentration as they look perfect! I have masked off and ainted on stripes on a 1:1 vehicle a few times and I know how tedious that was.. That sure is a nice build... B)

Edited by impcon

Awesomeness as always Hawk...:lol::D You are definitely the Master when it comes to these Camaro's.....Two thumbs up mate.

Do you know where the guy got the rims and tyres..?

They look similar to the ones I made but the tyres are different....I like the look of these a lot.....;)

cheers

Greg

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...