Model Cars Magazine Forum

Oxidizing Aluminum

I need some help on making a couple of mufflers look old but not falling apart. I rusted the chassis on the 57 150 and rusted the exhausts and need to make the mufflers look old. I have no clue on how to do this. The mufflers are painted with Testors Aluminum. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks. <_< Dan

Dan,

Try pastel chalks. You can either rub it in with a piece of t shirt or a stiff brush . You'll have much more control doing it this way. You can also shoot them with Testors chrome , and then lightly shoot aluminum metallizer over it . The metallizer will fracture the chrome . Can't get a more realistic appearance then that !

Edited by LoneWolf15

Thanks Donn, the only problem is, I already painted them the Aluminum and they are installed on the car. Will this still work if I brush over what I've already done? Dan

P.S. I still like your 57 that I saw at our convention last year. The Blue one. I really enjoyed our little talk we had there also. Take care.

Thanks Donn, the only problem is, I already painted them the Aluminum and they are installed on the car. Will this still work if I brush over what I've already done? Dan Yes! You can brush the chalks on without a problem , scrub it up in place !

P.S. I still like your 57 that I saw at our convention last year. The Blue one. I really enjoyed our little talk we had there also. Take care.

• 3 weeks later...

I had this problem a while back. I was told just to wrap in steel wool and soak in water. The steel wool would rust and stick to the aluminum. Not sure if it worked though.

Now that's somethin new. I just might give that a try on the next one that I do. Thanks Zack

Dan

Edited by 59 Chevy Impala