Model Cars Magazine Forum

50s Finned Boat Project

Merk

I forget the company now , I think it was Glasstron that did a similar boat . Use the outboard if you want to re create a piece of history . The other posters wern't even born when these boats were actually in the water . Meanwhile , I was around and yep even helped my father work on such outboards too. I still have his old Elgin/ Sears - Roebuck 3.5 H P motor , runs too ! Ed Shaver

Hey I'm old too! I was working at a marina in the late 50's-early 60's and there were several boats around that were sure in the same style as this one. If you had this boat in, say 1959, you might have had a V-50 Johnson or Evinrude hangin' off the transom. I think the Johnson you've got in the picture would be perfect for your boat. Your Johnson looks like a 25 or 35 horse, which would seem to me to be OK for your boat. The upper hull in turquoise or bright red would also be period. I like this one by the way! Gary

• 1 month later...

A few pictures from early in the build. Started with a chunk of maple left over from a guitar build and removed everything but a finned boat. The side trim is .040 plasic gluded on with JB weld then the whole thing is covered with resin. After the resin cures a couple coats of primer sanding between each coat.

Guest Johnny

When I lived in Portage Wi, we had a neighbor had one with a fuel injected 341ci Desoto FireDome Hemi! That was a sweet looking boat!

Great job on it!