Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/25 AMT '37 Chevy Coupe

Stevearado

Hows the body-line detail on the hood? That's what was bad on my older kit. If that's been fixed, I'm gonna have to buy another.

I'm not sure on this one. Sitting here looking at mine, it looks okay. But not perfect. The left side seems to lineup better than the right. And that's with the two halves glued together.

Scott

How are the decals? I jut saw the '32 Vicky sheet and was impressed. I am buying a Vicky, but I might have to add a '37 to my list if they have improved it.

The decal sheet in this kit is fun. It's large, with lots of great choices for names and car sponsorship. I like it. Hopefully someone who can post pictures of it here will do so.

Scott

Edited by unclescott58

I'm not sure on this one. Sitting here looking at mine, it looks okay. But not perfect. The left side seems to lineup better than the right. And that's with the two halves glued together.

Scott

With a minimum amount of sanding on the underside of hood where it sits on the cowl, the fit is perfect. With the fit of the stock hood, and my memory of it in the past, I'm guessing Round 2 modified and fixed it. It did not fit this well on my cabriolet. Okay, but as good as on the new coupe reissue.

Scott

Edited by unclescott58

Just picked one of these up the other day with a HL 40% off. Never gotten any previous releases of these 37 Chevy kits, so this is my first exposure to this tooling. Very pleased with the contents - classic AMT Trophy series 3 in 1.

Box is quite jam-packed. As Round 2 has been doing on many of their kits lately, they include a conventional clear parts tree (Windows, headlights, clear hood), plus a duplicate molded in transparent orange. As others have stated, the finned Offenhauser valve cover for the Stovebolt 6 is especially nice. Also included is a dual carb intake and exhaust headers to replicate a mildly modified Stovebolt. The 427 can only be built one way, for the drag version - GMC blower, 2-piece headers, etc.

In regards to the decal sheet, I agree that it is very impressive. It might not be obvious upon seeing the picture that Oldscool posted, but that sheet covers the entire bottom of the box. One other thing to note: don't worry about the side panel note describing 2-piece drag slicks. As previously stated, the slicks are Round 2's new style pad-printed Goodyear Blue Streaks.

• 1 month later...

To answer your question ....

Overall the flash is not bad at all , nor are the mold lines . With a little patience and some kit bashing , this kit produces an excellent build .

How does it build without kitbashing?

Unless my old brain is worse than I thought, the bottom part of the decal sheet is from a fairly recent reissue, and the upper part is mainly from the original release. A lot of them I've got in my stash but I had a bad habit of cutting individual decals out and packaging them in pairs before storing them in a safe dry environment. But it doesn't help me remember what kit they were originally from.

Unless my old brain is worse than I thought, the bottom part of the decal sheet is from a fairly recent reissue, and the upper part is mainly from the original release. A lot of them I've got in my stash but I had a bad habit of cutting individual decals out and packaging them in pairs before storing them in a safe dry environment. But it doesn't help me remember what kit they were originally from.

Pretty sure the bottom part of the sheet is from a 1969 (or thereabouts) reissue. The '69 box and decals served as the basis for the Stevens International issue of the '37 coupe about 10 years ago.

• 4 years later...
  • 1 year later...

Hello, I have a kit from about 1970 +-1, with the same box art, that has been in a moving box since about then. I had opened it so the cellophane wrapping is gone, and the instructions are missing. Also I apparently pirated a couple pieces from the decal sheet. I am thinking of selling it if I can ascertain its value (and it's worth the trouble).

I'll check back for replies. Thank you.

PS the box art is the same except for the world map in the lower corner on the OP is not on the box I have.

Edited by Sine Cosine
added correction

58 minutes ago, Sine Cosine said:

and the instructions are missing.

If it’s any consolation to you, the instructions can be downloaded off of scalemates.com, however you have to be on the page for the most recent release. I’d send a link but I’m not sure if the forum rules prohibit that or not. 

• Sad 1

23 hours ago, Sine Cosine said:

Hello, I have a kit from about 1970 +-1, with the same box art, that has been in a moving box since about then. I had opened it so the cellophane wrapping is gone, and the instructions are missing. Also I apparently pirated a couple pieces from the decal sheet. I am thinking of selling it if I can ascertain its value (and it's worth the trouble).

I'll check back for replies. Thank you.

PS the box art is the same except for the world map in the lower corner on the OP is not on the box I have.

There's one on eBay right now for $20 with no bids on it - they're not super valuable.

The last two that sold on there sold for $6 and $8, respectively

• 2 weeks later...
5 hours ago, alexis said:

HPI Guy has the Kit!

Watched last night , and thoroughly enjoyed it . Answered my internal question regarding the potential for the stock and customising parts are included . As usual , Chris knocked it out of the park ! 

I'll have to wait to get this one , as my financial advisor says no to anymore investing in kits for now . 

On 11/18/2021 at 9:01 PM, 1972coronet said:

Watched last night , and thoroughly enjoyed it . Answered my internal question regarding the potential for the stock and customising parts are included . As usual , Chris knocked it out of the park ! 

I'll have to wait to get this one , as my financial advisor says no to anymore investing in kits for now . 

My thoughts exactly, this is really a fun kit packed with so much stuff, ones imagination can go wild on how to build it, IMHO more much more kits should be packed with lotsa options. 

Yeah, I'm definitely gonna pick this one up when available here, bang for the buck too!

BTW about the 4cyl cough cough, sorry Chris couldn't help it ;) , I mean the Stovebold six, can one use that engine in a fifty seven Chevy?

Edited by Luc Janssens

3 hours ago, Luc Janssens said:

My thoughts exactly, this is really a fun kit packed with so much stuff, ones imagination can go wild on how to build it, IMHO more much more kits should be packed with lotsa options. 

Yeah, I'm definitely gonna pick this one up when available here, bang for the buck too!

BTW about the 4cyl cough cough, sorry Chris couldn't help it ;) , I mean the Stovebold six, can one use that engine in a fifty seven Chevy?

The six from the. '60 AMT Chevrolet pick-up would be a closer appearing one than the one from the '37 coupe. The '37 is a 216 c.i. engine and the  truck has basically the same 235 c.i. engine that came in the '57.

Just a thought on a stock OEM style engine.  Consider the Galaxy Chevrolet kits engine. This is the same design as found in a 1:1 '37 Chevrolet. The kits engine has the correctly shaped Valve Covers as well as the Intake and Exhaust Manifolds. There are also some custom engine parts that could be used to build a Hot Rod also. 

IMG_1343.JPG

IMG_1344.JPG

Note, this version of the kit is missing the hard spare tire that mounts on the trunk, that used to be in the kit. Not sure why. The last version that was out several years ago, was missing it too. If you want the spare, you need to get the box with the Orange car on it.