Model Cars Magazine Forum

1967 Plymouth GTX "Silver Bullet"

Peter Lombardo

Borrowed from a Feb 2009 Car Craft article by Miles Cook.

“Back in the day, the Silver Bullet was quite simply the baddest street machine on the Detroit scene. 4448742316_b23506397c.jpg

4448742496_a44087e477.jpg

What is it about this car that’s bestowed with a name that carries such impact? By make and model, it’s a 1967 Plymouth Belvedere GTX that basically served as a rolling Chrysler R&D testbed when it was owned and driven by Jimmy Addison. 4447967591_b0b8cd822f.jpg

By chance, or more likely by design, this Hemi-powered GTX became the most feared warrior on the Detroit street-racing scene during the early 1970s.

4447967559_e7dc4b67d9.jpg

Motivated by a hulking 487-inch Hemi, the Bullet was a 10-second street car--and as much or more of a true street car than anything that’s being heralded as such today.†Here is the link to the website and story on this car.

http://www.carcraft.com/featuredvehicles/906_1967_plymouth_belvedere_gtx/index.html

A few years ago, while browsing through the first ever copy of Chrysler Magazine, I found a story about this car, The 1967 Plymouth GTX dubbed “The Silver Bulletâ€. I thought it was a worthy subject to build so I set about building it. This was the first “street†car model I built after only building race cars…so it was a departure for me.

4448742778_bd6d779514.jpg

4448742914_6305367a48.jpg

This is basically a Revell 1967 Plymouth GTX painted HOK Silver. Bare Metal Foil and a photo etch set complete it. 4447968415_18fe2f4e35.jpg

The slicks and small American flags were lifted from the Revell 1967 Dodge Charger kit. 4448743704_d3ac787414.jpg

Even though these pictures don’t really show it, the pictures in the Chrysler Magazine showed the oil cooler under the front bumper, 4447969147_018ff82564.jpg

so I added it to my build. I fashioned the hood extenders from aluminum tube with wire tips.

It is a simple straight forward build of a famous, at least in Detroit, street racer that had one heck of a reputation. Good old Detroit Muscle at its finest.

Pete, I saw this car run on the streets back in the day!! It was actually a Chrysler R&D car for the hemi street racers!! I've seen it at MANY street meets too, and it still is awsome to see it light up the tires at a WHIM!!! It ran FOUR hemi mufflers and was STILL loud! GREAT build on a GREAT historical Street Machine!!!biggrin.gifwink.gif

Pete, I saw this car run on the streets back in the day!! It was actually a Chrysler R&D car for the hemi street racers!! I've seen it at MANY street meets too, and it still is awsome to see it light up the tires at a WHIM!!! It ran FOUR hemi mufflers and was STILL loud! GREAT build on a GREAT historical Street Machine!!!biggrin.gifwink.gif

One small change to that, it actually was running four Cadillac mufflers because they had wider diameter pipes. Thanks!!

Pete, I saw this car run on the streets back in the day!! It was actually a Chrysler R&D car for the hemi street racers!![/b[/]i] I've seen it at MANY street meets too, and it still is awsome to see it light up the tires at a WHIM!!! It ran FOUR hemi mufflers and was STILL loud! GREAT build on a GREAT historical Street Machine!!!biggrin.gifwink.gif

Yup, if I remmeber the story correctly, this was an blue early model 440 Magnum car that was used for regular R&D within Chrysler then was "retired" and then turned into a factory backed street.

Awesome! I hard a difficult time telling where the pics of the real thing and your build left off. If you want a set of big and little Cragars to make your build closer, pm me your addy, I will send em, it looks like you have keystones on your build while the real car had cragars. Incredible build!

Very nice build of a very sexy car. To me (this is merely opinion), the 66-67 Plymouths and Dodges (2dr Hardtops) are just about the most aestetically perfect cars built...........there really isn't anything you can do to them to improve their looks, as they just look SOOOOO good stock.

First off guys, thank you very much for the kind words, I really appreciate them. I built this car a number of years ago when I was just getting back into street cars and customs. Before that I was a race car "snob".....especially Tamiya race car kits. Back then my "stash" of street car parts was limited so I used the closest parts (wheels) I had.

Thanks, Lee for the offer of the Cargar mags, but I have a set now, I am just too lazy to change them up. I had a set of real Cragars on my 1973 Camaro RS back in the day. I saved up for them for months and man, they made the look of my Camaro just pop. I loved that car and truly wish I still had it.

Harry and Whale, I have to completely agree with you guys, the '66 and '67 Plymouth and the '68 and '69 Dodge Chargers were to my eyes the two best American Muscle Car designs of all time. I know the GTO and Chevelle's of the day were great, but if I had but one choice, it would be a toss up of these two cars.

Back in 1966 my very good friend from my High School days had a pale yellow with black vinyl roof and interior Plymouth Satellite. The main difference between the '66 and '67 were the inner headlights. The '66 had the turn signal lights there and the '67 had the high beams located there. There were many minor differences too, but the headlights were the easy to spot difference. Any way, this car had a HO 383 V8 that really packed quite a big punch. We would take on Chevelle's, Goat's, Torino's man, you name it and we always did very well street racing. Didn't always win, but always did get respect. Fun and very dangerous memories.

In 1969, Don (my buddy) traded the Plymouth in on a '69 Dodge Charger, light metallic blue with black top and interior. That was also a beautiful car. It also had the HO 383 and rally wheels. I don't recall that car being as quick as the Plymouth (weight, I think) but it was sure a looker. Many of the "young ladies" turned their heads when we would "cruise the Jersey Shore" in the summer or pull up to the White Castle on Friday or Saturday night. Trust me, they were looking at the car, more than looking at us. The girls would sometimes call out to when we pulled up, "Hey Rich", even though our names were Pete, Steve and Don. Like I said, it was the car.

Back in those days, the White Castle still had what they called "curb service". The ladies would come out to your car, take your order and return with a tray loaded up with twelve cent hamburgers, french fries and soft drinks. It was the East Coast equivalent to the West Coast drive-ins without the roller skates. On weekend nights, all year round, it was one of the places to see and be seen. All of the young guys would want to show off their Iron and in so have a certain part of their anatomy and their wallets measured against the other guys. Don's dad had money, and therefore his cars always placed us at the higher end of the pecking order....that was a good thing.

Ahaaaa, the golden memories....the late sixty's were a great time for fast cars, cheap burgers and lost innocents. Back then, we were happy and carefree. It didn't take much either, a fast car, a cute girl and a few cold Colt 45's and life was great.

As I get older, the one aliment that I pray I never get is Alzheimer's, I want to take my memories to my grave....I want to hold on to them as long as I can.

I am real partial to the 66-67 Mopar B Bodys myself. I attempted one of these kits to build the future look of my Mopar and was unhappy with the fit of the back bumper finish panel piece and have since shelved that project until I can cut it up into 3 pieces. Great build I love that car and have often thought about painting my 1:1 silver but can't decided

GoodguysLonestarOct2007-193.jpg

Pete, to add to our grill observations; the front bumper on the 66 Plymouths was also smooth, as the parking lights were up in the grill versus 67 when they moved them to the bumper due to headlight placement. The headlight bezels were slightly larger in 66, and the parking light bezels were slightly smaller diameter than the later 67 units second headlight. My dad bought new (and still owns) a 66 Plymouth BelvedereII Hemi/auto in Turbine Bronze Metallic with the black bench interior. I remember riding in that car for most of my youth (with various powerplants in it, but always a big-block. He now owns a 66 Dodge Coronet500 Hemi/4spd in Dark Arctic Blue Metallic with the black interior to go with this car, plus two more 66 Plymouths (both big-blocks) and another 66 Dodge Coronet500 (also a big-block). He is where I got my love of the B-Body, and I own 2 65 Dodge Coronet500s because of him!

Peter, this is a terrific replica of the original...I remember photographing the original at last year's Woodward Dream Cruise here in Detroit. It was parked front and center at 13 Mile Rd. and Woodward, the epicenter of the Cruise with approximately 40,000 cars in attendance.

Beautiful build!

Very nice job on the 'Bullet,' Peter; another one of my favorite Mopars.

I'm surprised nobody mentioned the subtle flaring/'bulging' on the rear fenders....nice touch adding that detail to the model as well.

Edited by VW Dave

• 2 weeks later...