Model Cars Magazine Forum

Custombilt 379

Thank you, David & Tim.

Let's continue

I was have to lengthen the cardan shaft. The best thing found was brass tube 4mm.

20.jpg

There is original cardan shaft in the middle and modifided one below.

21.jpg

There is front half of cardan in the middle and rear half - below. As the shaft was lengthen and Angle of slope changed, I was have to make a crosspiece movable to simplify the assembling.

22.jpg

23.jpg

24.jpg

Tell me guys: should I repeat this thing with the rest 4 crosspieces or should I leave them as is?

It is great feature, but time consuming.

You make the drive line/shaft the way I do using tubing and cutting the kit shaft in half. The u joint that is a new idea too me.Off hand I would think The short shaft between the 2 driver's I think it will be covered by the 5th wheel plate so as is maybe OK . the long drive shaft, try doing a mock up and go from there.

Edited by clayton

The short shaft between the 2 driver's I think it will be covered by the 5th wheel plate so as is maybe OK . the long drive shaft, try doing a mock up and go from there.

Thank you, Earl and Clayton.

Edited by Sergey

• 1 month later...

He's building a short hood 379, so the hood has a slight slope. If it were the extended hood like my truck(see my avatar pic) then the top of the hood is parallel to the ground pretty much.

O-key. Thank you, Ray. As I'm building 379-th (like yours) too, I should hear your words. As I see - the cab should sit lower then on 378-th? How much lower it must be? I just replacing cab support brackets with scratch built one.

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you, Dan.

Hi, friends. It's me again. Much time passed since my last update and I have nothing to boast of …

New cab mount brackets were made: 33.jpg?1291716857

For new hood I was have to lower the cab about 3-4mm. It was easier to scratch build one, then adopt existing brackets. Here the cab on original mount: 41.jpg?1291716988

Here - on new one: 42.jpg

Extended frame: 38.jpg?1291717091

The front half: 39.jpg?1291717127

Cab to hood adjustment: 37.jpg?1291717171

I was have to tear away right front fender and glue it to the hood again 4 times (!), until everything was truth and level. So resin parts without markings are evil things.

Filled up hollow chassis parts: 35.jpg?1291717235

There is a fail, I guess. When the hood is lowered, fenders look bigger then on picture of original (the last photo of this thread): 43.jpg?1291717291

Can anyone explain: the front fenders for custom, lowered Peterbilts have smaller radius then originals? I tried to put super singles on front discs, but they look wrong here, though the gap between wheel and fender became smaller: 44.jpg?1291717339

Looks like I should tear fenders off again to bend them slightly and reduce radius. I see the beginning of depression... :)

Can anyone help me to find more photos of this rig?: Sample3.jpg

I know there was a galery somewhere, but I've forgot to save it. :(

Edited by Sergey

hey sergey i found the article that truck was in, but it has the one picture. if youll notice 95% of the trucks you see lowered have the same issue you have. the only way i can think to fix this is go to a smaller rim and tire, look at the pic of this truck it has the same problem you do and it has either a 19 or 22.5 inch rim, i believe you have a 24.5 rim with tall rubber ( 11r24.5 ). maybe you can try a set of fenders off of a 1/25 scale, that will give you a smaller diameter. your truck is looking good so far, i like what your doing. good luck finding the other pics. it was in 10-4 magazine from a show in famoso california. heres the link : http://www.tenfourmagazine.com/misc/2005/12c.html

dennis

Thank you, Dan.

Hi, friends. It's me again. Much time passed since my last update and I have nothing to boast of …

New cab mount brackets were made: 33.jpg?1291716857

For new hood I was have to lower the cab about 3-4mm. It was easier to scratch build one, then adopt existing brackets. Here the cab on original mount: 41.jpg?1291716988

Here - on new one: 42.jpg

Extended frame: 38.jpg?1291717091

The front half: 39.jpg?1291717127

Cab to hood adjustment: 37.jpg?1291717171

I was have to tear away right front fender and glue it to the hood again 4 times (!), until everything was truth and level. So resin parts without markings are evil things.

Filled up hollow chassis parts: 35.jpg?1291717235

There is a fail, I guess. When the hood is lowered, fenders look bigger then on picture of original (the last photo of this thread): 43.jpg?1291717291

Can anyone explain: the front fenders for custom, lowered Peterbilts have smaller radius then originals? I tried to put super singles on front discs, but they look wrong here, though the gap between wheel and fender became smaller: 44.jpg?1291717339

Looks like I should tear fenders off again to bend them slightly and reduce radius. I see the beginning of depression... :huh:

Can anyone help me to find more photos of this rig?: Sample3.jpg

I know there was a galery somewhere, but I've forgot to save it. :P

Looks like too me you may need a filler plate on the hood between the fender and cab(I see a BIG gap there). But for custom hoods no idea.

Surgey,

Just like you I was having the same problems. I did what Dennis said, look into a 1/25 scale

The fenders I got are from an old amt peterbilt kit. To me the italeri tires fit the fenders better.

1st pic is the amt

2nd pic is italeri on left & amt on right

I also measured the radies the difference is the italeri is 1/8 bigger then amt

There is also the fenders from the snap kit of the peterbilt that might work also?

The logo should be on the bracket, not the airbag. I've never seen a Peterbilt logo on an airbag as they are usually made by different companies such as Firestone.

If you have original oem air bags they will have the peterbilt logo on them. my truck did.

Edited by truckman1981

Looks like too me you may need a filler plate on the hood between the fender and cab(I see a BIG gap there). But for custom hoods no idea.

Thank you, Clayton. I have filler plates, but didn't glue them down jet. They coul be torn away while fiting all the sub assembly.

Thank you, Leo. You already helped me to find this: http://www.supershowrigs.com/PhotoShoots/Dustin%20Foster/DustinFoster.htm

Thanks to everyone for your comments and interest.

• 3 months later...

Come to think of it, I've had a couple Freightliners that had "Freightliner" on the OEM airbags.

That is correct, I spent 6 years working in the parts dept. at a Freightliner dealership and all of the OEM airbags had the freighliner logo

• 1 year later...

Well, the build is frozen for "Love Machine" project, which in turn frozen now for seasonal work. I will finish both of them anyway. Give me the TIME.

I wish I have more free time for my favourite hobby, but I don't have it at all....

Hello, my friends!

As half of an article is published in TMW, I've disided to continue (and finish after a while) this thred. I guess this photos are larger, than magazine one.

18_online

Here are Taylor wing drop-shaped side covers. Buy the way, here is all the parts, that were drawn in AutoCad and photo etched

89_online

The grill was widwer than tje hood front part, which was fixed by splitting the hood along and inserting a piece of plastic with 5 min epoxy

20_online

Head lights are slightly revorked to accept LEDs. Lenses are new.

21_online

Front cab brackets were replaced again (black arrow)

22_online

The hood got reinforcement inside.

23_online

For this, the hood was covered with masking tape to cut out a pattern

This pattern was transferred to sheet styrene 0,4mm to cut out ribs and glue them inside the hood

The areas between ribs are covered with cfrome tape

26_online

Compressor, turbine, alternater and pulleys replaced by Czech Truck Model's one

27_online

The compressor hole was filled with pieces of tube & sheet

28_online

As the engine compartment has grown, I had ability to make flat firewall. It was drilled along the hood joint line and cut out by a saw.

31_online

A piece of styrene took its place

32_online

Power steering shaft was detailed too

33_online

Edited by Sergey

Thank you, friends!

Here are KFS chairs I bought about 10 years before.

IMG_2155_zps736b70a8.jpg

I guess it is better than kit's one

IMG_2157_zps4e1a2235.jpg

Here is A&N butoned leather on back wall and roof

IMG_2200_zps2da1a8bd.jpg

Before I cut out an entrance to sleeper

IMG_2201_zpsae5605e6.jpg

Top upholstry was sanded off

IMG_2239-43A043E043F0438044F0_zpsf97884a

Then I made a pattern for leather and marked inner lamps

IMG_2243_zps6149baaf.jpg

... and transferred it to resin