Model Cars Magazine Forum

Anyone remember the P M C company

Does anyone have any historical knowlege that they could share with me concerning the P M C plastics company ? I would just like to know when the founded and mabye who took over the molds as in resin and mabye if anyone knows , what they made . I recenty aquired a 1954 Plymouth Wagon body and I'm curious as to what they made as I know they did a couple of Plymouths and Im told some Oldsmobiles too.

I guess the second part is this , who made the resin of their 54 Plymouth wagon ? Ed Shaver

Ed, I remember havein some PMC model TOYS as a kid. They were 25th scale, an I had a 59 Ford Wagon and Ranchero. Both made from a kinda soft bright yellow plastic,(Wagon) an white plastic( ranchero) with light gray front grilles. they came with thick metal axles an solid plastic tires with what looked like full moon wheel covers.That's about all i can tell ya 'bout PMC models.smile.gif

Guest Johnny

I had the Ranchero at one time. Molded in an odd green color but it was a friction motor toy/promo. Came from an old closed down Ford Dealership.

I don't know when Product Miniatures Company (PMC) was started but I do know that they made promotional truck models for International Harvester as early as the '40's. Some of the IH tooling was rescued by the sons of an IH dealer in Des Plaines, IL in the late '80's and for a while in the early '90's they produced, from the tooling, a licensed 1956 International S-Line 110 pickup under the name of "Triple Diamond Replicas".

423_3DS-100.jpg

Some other IH tools were tested but never produced. Since the IH tools had to be rescued from a scrap yard, the automobile tools may not have survived.

PMC made acetate plastic promo's for Ford, Chevrolet, Plymouth in 1/25 scale, also as toys. In addition, starting about 1949, they produced nicely detailed promotional models of International Harvester trucks, most in 1/20th scale, although one of their KB tractors was done in 1/25th scale, complete with a roundnose Fruehauf 36' semi-trailer (they also marketed this combo in Mayflower Moving Van colors and markings). Additionally, PMC produced an acetate promo of the 1957 Centennial Series IH wide box pickup in 1/25th scale.

PMC had the deal to do Chevrolet promo's from about 1953 through at least 1958, by which time they were doing Bel Air hardtops where AMT had gotten the deal to do the Impala HT and convertible promo's. They also produced some '55-59 Ford promo's as well, in 1/25th scale, in body styles not offered by AMT (who concentrated on hardtops and convertibles). Most interesting of their Ford promo's were their 1957-58 Country Squires, their 1959 Ranch Wagon and Ranchero. The only Plymouth promo I am aware of was their 1954 Suburban 2dr station wagon. For a few years, their Ford and Chevy promo's were done in a variety of color schemes, apparently so dealers could have a large display in the rather small showrooms of the time--so prospective buyers could see a number of different color combinations without the dealer having to have the large inventories that today's new car dealers must floor plan.

PMC also made highly detailed (for the time) 1/16 scale promotional models, in acetate plastic, of IH Farmall tractors, Allis Chalmers farm tractors and construction equipment, as well as a few farm implement promo's.

PMC exited the promotional model business about 1960, but then pulled out several of their promo tools and shot the models in styrene, with very plain wheels and tires, metal chassis, which they packaged in polybags with cardboard headers, selling them mostly through "rack jobbers" calling on supermarkets and drugstores, for their small toy sections--at 99-cents apiece. In their promotional model era, several of their promo's were also offered as knocked down kits (kind of following AMT's example--their 3-car assembly kits from 1953-54). As a 10-11yr old, I had several of those, my most remembered ones being a '54 Corvette and several '56 Bel Air 4r hardtops. Some of their styrene assembly kits were also sold built up in the early 60's, notably the IH Centennial pickup, which was imprinted as a promotional toy for several different companies.

Apparently though, PMC was at a considerable disadvantage by being located in Milwaukee, pretty distant from the headquarters of the Big Three, while for AMT and JoHan, their's was but a trip across town.

Art

I was thinking to use the chrome bumpers, wheels and chassis from the Revell flatpack. This way, that kit would at least yield something useful.

Why not cut those bombshell shaped farings off the bumper you have there, glue and putty them into the bottom lower edge of the front fenders (on the real RAnchero and lower line Fords, that is exposed painted sheetmetal, covered with a stainless steel cap on Galaxies). You can also use the Revell '57 Ranchero for an accurate chassis, and that chassis will take AMT '57 Fairlane 500 suspension, wheels and tires with very little modification as well. As for an interior, combining the side panels (retrim for accuracy) and the seat from the Revell '57 Ranchero, with the dash and steering wheel AND the windshield glass from the Revell '59 Galaxie Skyliner (the glass will fit with only minor tweaking!). Also, use the piepan taillight bezels and the taillight lenses from that same Revell Skyliner, and the rear bumper as well. Just send the PMC grille/front bumper unit after you cut away the farings mentioned above out to be replated. If you are still daring--you can also cut open the PMC hood, the '59 Skyliner engine bay fits almost like a glove there as well.

Art

You can also use the Revell '57 Ranchero for an accurate chassis, and that chassis will take AMT '57 Fairlane 500 suspension, wheels and tires with very little modification as well. As for an interior, combining the side panels (retrim for accuracy) and the seat from the Revell '57 Ranchero, with the dash and steering wheel AND the windshield glass from the Revell '59 Galaxie Skyliner (the glass will fit with only minor tweaking!).

The simple reason for not doing this is that I don't have a Revell 57 Ranchero.

Thanks for the picture ! I had this one aong with a Revell 57 Ranchero years ago before Hurricane Agness took out my entitre collection in 1973. I had most if not all the kits avalible back to 1960...... I would guess it was around 400 kits .Ed Shaver

Thanks for the picture ! I had this one aong with a Revell 57 Ranchero years ago before Hurricane Agness took out my entitre collection in 1973. I had most if not all the kits avalible back to 1960...... I would guess it was around 400 kits .Ed Shaver

:( That's just wrong! :( Stupid weather!

Oh god, that's terrible. I know exactly what it feels like. I had a 2500+ collection, which was taken away by my lovely ex-wife.

Art, I hope you don't mind me posting this. I stumbled upon it while surfing for Buick Reatta promo info:

http://forums.aaca.org/f169/history-promo-car-models-211255.html

Art, if you ever decide to put all of your knowledge down and write a book, I will gladly help in any way I can. This is the kind of information and experience that can't be gleaned from a Wiki on the web. ;)

• 6 years later...

I came across this thread when searching for the toy car that some original mold patterns produced that I came across in an antique store years ago.

After MUCH searching and asking questions anywhere I could find, finally with the help of the internet world the question has been solved!  Have a look at the original mold patterns, amazing amount of work and skill making those molds.

These molds made the PMC 1952 Chevy two door coupe promo bank! 

I now believe that this car below was indeed made in the molds I have.  To my eye, every detail seems to match.  Right down the to lower three faint horizontal lines on the rear fender under the main offset line. Hood and trunk emblem are perfect match, as are the door handles.

The round injection holes match perfectly on the bottom, and notice the interior fender swells from the bottom.  The front is rather round, but the rear is swept back quite a bit.  The openings for the axle, and the surface steps toward the ends. Same as the mold:

The front/rear bumper were separate pieces were added later:

d7.jpg

d6.jpg

d5.jpg

d2.jpg

d1.jpg

Edited by black frog

What a find ! I had no idea PMC ever did the 52 Chevrolet

Well I'm assuming that was the year, that's what other people selling this model have deemed it, so I'm not going to second guess them.  I have seen the four door version, and swept back trunk "fleetline?" version as well.  

I need to start downsizing, and was on a mission to find the product of these molds before listing them for someone else to enjoy.  I have no clue as to their worth.  Me being into machining and metal work, I was fascinated by their quality of workmanship and construction, which is why I snagged them in the first place.  :-)

Edited by black frog

The biggest difference is a 52 will have a one piece windshield . The tops used 1949 to 52 are the same too

Todd, on another note , I probably could benifit from a giant Yardsale / estate sale myself . All but one of my children are grown and NONE enjoy my love of antique cars ...

Edited by Eshaver

I emailed PMC last year to ask if they still had the model car molds, but received no response.  I have the '59 Opel and Ranchero, and '52-'54 Chevrolet.  The interiors are somewhat simplistic on the convertibles, but like the '52 pictures above, are nice models.  The color combinations are interesting, too.