Model Cars Magazine Forum

Acrylic Paint for Whitewalls

hi guys, awesome site you guys got here, been lurking for quite a while now and trying to find the answers to my questions so i wouldn't be asking the same questions to you guys but i can't find the answer to this one. I just recently got settled in and started working on some kits again in my spare time and been trying new thngs that i've never done before. I'm working on a 32 ford street rod and wanted to whitewall the tires so i am using Tamiyas acrylic white. So i painted the walls of the tires a while back ago and let the whole project sit for a long time, came back to it and noticed the paint cracking and falling off the tires, stripped them down and sanded them with the dremel a bit, repainted them not too long ago again and the paint cracked again. Should i be sealing the paint with Future or something else?

thanks guys

Matthew,

Welcome to the site. I think you'll find guys here that can answer just about any question you have. And you will probably get more than one answer that will work.

Now, getting to your question. I have always used Polly Scale paints to do white walls. It's an acrylic paint similar to Tamiya, but it covers better when you brush it. Polly Scale can be found in a lot of model railroad shops. I have user both Reefer White and Antique White. I prefer the Antique White because it gives a little more realistic hue to the whites. Polly scale drys to an eggshell satin finish which to me looks perfect for white walls. The tires on the truck below were painted painted with the Antique white approx. 5 or 6 years ago now. they do not have any clear over them and they look just as good now as when I painted them. I hope this has helped.

Big_DogLF-vi.jpg

I have used artist's acrylic paints in tubes. I've used white and also mixed in tiny bits of brown and yellow for replicating yellowed whitewalls, such as the shoe polish markings on funny car and dragster tires.

• 6 years later...

straight ammonia will remove the Tamiya acrylics without harming tires or other paints(wheels) Flexing of tires when putting on wheels will crack most paints. It is better to paint after the wheel is installed. Make a msk with tape and a circle template.

• 1 year later...