Model Cars Magazine Forum

The Jairus Watson Artwork Challenge

Fletch

Actually, both pieces of artwork were initially in the 50 selected but were later removed out of respect for Stan's builds. I felt it would be extremely difficult for us to judge these 2 pieces knowing the craftsmanship that went into these builds. I felt it would be unfair for another builder to put in the time and effort and have us compare their work to Stan's. BTW, the wood that Stan used in both these builds came from his backyard not the LHS. As Jairus put it 'Yes, he is that good.'

boattailed32-vi.jpg

PieWoody-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

One thing that Jairus didn't mention about Stan is he has a habit of getting a project to a certain point then turning it over to someone else to finish. I have several of his projects in my collection, the workmanship is outstanding, all Stan asks in return is that if the project ever makes it to the pages of a magazine that he is mentioned for the work that he did. Believe me you have seen some of Stan's projects in MCM and SAE where the person who completed the project took all the credit for the build, even to the point of telling the story of the project as if they had done it themselves. Needless to say it didn't set all that well with this otherwise very humble, unassuming man.

I have no doubt that he would be embarrassed by the accolades that Jairus and I are giving him as that's not his style, but every now and then you have to give credit where credit is due.

Edited by Fletch

Jeez, that bar is so high I don't think I can even see it from down here.... :unsure:

well alan there are alot of people better than me but all i can do is just try my best and do the best i can and hope its good enough. i like seeing how good other people are it makes me strive to be better. 15 years ago i entered my first and so far only model contest with a snap fast chevy dually that i customized with mainly photoetched parts. i was happy with it and i took third place which i was surprised by. but it made me see what i need to do to get better and now that i've gotten back into the hobby that's what i'm trying to do. i may not be any where near as good as stan but i'm going to try my best and have fun with it and that's all i can do, and i just hope everybody is happy with and enjoys my efforts to try and duplicate jairus's artwork.

is there a deadline for the JWAC? by the way great job everyone.

yes the deadline is for the pnw 2011 show on march 26th 2011 for in person entries but i don't know about for the email side of it for that you will need to ask fletch.

oh and jairus i'm glad to be a part of this. i am happy for the learning experience of doing this to advance my skills.

@ Sweptline,

Oh I agree totally. Couldn't give a fat rats where I finish, I only entered 'coz I think it will be both a bit of fun and a challenge.

In fact the only other competition I've ever entered was a surfing comp many years ago. Got whupped by a guy who went on to become National Junior champ 2 years running. So my record can only get better....

is there a deadline for the JWAC? by the way great job everyone.

As Garred indicated the official deadline is March 26th, 2011. The email deadline will be midnight on the 26th as well.

There are 3 drawings remaining before the cut-off, if you're interested now is the time to let me know before it's to late.

Just keep in mind that yes this is a Challenge build and someone will end up winning. However, seeing how this is a blind draw there is a very good chance that you got a drawing that is outside of your comfort zone. I know the one that I ended up with will require a lot more work then if say I ended up with a Model 'A' as Traditional Hot Rods are what I know best.

As noted in the emails that you all received, have fun with the Challenge, don't take it to seriously. After all this is only a hobby and it is suppose to be fun.

Dave

Edited by Fletch

Those builds of Stan's are breath taking and I'm glad I got to see them here. The attention to detail is mind boggling. I'm honoured to be in this "community build/contest." The 1972 Cheyenne Dual Cab is a bit out of my comfort zone but there is a specific reason I wanted to do it. When I first saw the illustration in a Magazine many years ago I told myself "I'm gonna build that one day!" I've seen Jairus' illustrations in many magazines and I've been awestruck by his work, I'm a natural artist myself but NOWHERE near as good as him, but it's people like him that make me strive to do better and work harder. Dave and Jairus, I personally say "Thank You" for letting me part of this great project! I also want to say to the members here at MCM, "Thank You" for the compliments so far on the "Cheyenne." It keeps me motivated and my mind clear. Everyone's projects I've seen so far for this cb/c, I say "Keep Up The Outstanding Work! They are Looking Wonderful!" :P

Those builds of Stan's are breath taking and I'm glad I got to see them here. The attention to detail is mind boggling. I'm honoured to be in this "community build/contest." The 1972 Cheyenne Dual Cab is a bit out of my comfort zone but there is a specific reason I wanted to do it. When I first saw the illustration in a Magazine many years ago I told myself "I'm gonna build that one day!" I've seen Jairus' illustrations in many magazines and I've been awestruck by his work, I'm a natural artist myself but NOWHERE near as good as him, but it's people like him that make me strive to do better and work harder. Dave and Jairus, I personally say "Thank You" for letting me part of this great project! I also want to say to the members here at MCM, "Thank You" for the compliments so far on the "Cheyenne." It keeps me motivated and my mind clear. Everyone's projects I've seen so far for this cb/c, I say "Keep Up The Outstanding Work! They are Looking Wonderful!" B)

Jason, we are honored to have you and everyone else in on this Challenge. As Jairus and I have both noted we are totally amazed at the response to the Challenge. We are quickly approaching 60 that have volunteered to be part of this. We would have never even began to imagine numbers like this.

As for Stan's builds well, they speak for themselves, his craftsmanship is second to none. As Jairus noted if he took the time to polish out his paint etc, he would be unbeatable in any show he entered. As it is he pretty much kicks all our butts anyway. He tells us at every show that we should overlook his entries and give the awards to others in the classes that he enters. We don't listen as he deserves the acknowledgment for the time and effort he puts into his builds.

I love your attitude about building, we should do something with each new build to expand our skill set. Sometimes that means taking on something like this Challenge. For me it meant looking at a different genre of building. Do you have any idea how difficult it is to go from building Traditional Hot Rods to Exotic Sports Cars? Man, you talk about day and night. Building Hot Rods is all about what you think it should look like, exotics are all about staying true to what the manufacture.

Anyway, there are still a few pieces of artwork left, if you're interested in being part of the Challenge now is the time to get in. Send me your email address and I'll get the info off to you as soon as possible. Besides the sooner we get all the artwork assigned the sooner I can get serious about building my Challenge project.

Dave

Edited by Fletch

Thanks for the opportunity to be part of this challege. My biggest concerns of the build are the headlamps, the side stripe and side pipes. At the time of this drawing the new hemi was available? The wheels look like the Alternomad. Any suggestion is welcome.

57Chrysler300_72.jpg

Thanks for the opportunity to be part of this challege. My biggest concerns of the build are the headlamps, the side stripe and side pipes. At the time of this drawing the new hemi was available? The wheels look like the Alternomad. Any suggestion is welcome.

57Chrysler300_72.jpg

Headlights are Mercedes, wheels look like those from Vette Agin or AlterNomad (both Thom Taylor and both kits are obtainable), hood scoops are can be obtained from a Charger/Challenger (both cars had them) or you can try and scratch it. Bumper mods are gonna be simple and so will the convertible conversion. :D

Found this on Ebay. Might be an idea.

http://cgi.ebay.com/24237-TAMIYA-Mercedes-Benz-CLK-DTM-00-Model-Kit-1-24-/320521829837?cmd=ViewItem&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4aa096fdcd

Eelco - That's cool...no problem! Glad you found something better!!

Here's what I drew for the build:

60Chevfin.jpg

Got the kit for my build, just waiting on the wheels to come in the mail from Ken. Once I start building, I'll start my own build thread. Here's the kit box:

60Chevy001.jpg

Has '59 Caddy taillights in the kit! Nice! Saves me scratching, or robbing a kit or two!

60Chevy002.jpg

:)

Edited by Tony T

Headlights are Mercedes, wheels look like those from Vette Agin or AlterNomad (both Thom Taylor and both kits are obtainable), hood scoops are can be obtained from a Charger/Challenger (both cars had them) or you can try and scratch it. Bumper mods are gonna be simple and so will the convertible conversion. B)

Found this on Ebay. Might be an idea.

http://cgi.ebay.com/24237-TAMIYA-Mercedes-Benz-CLK-DTM-00-Model-Kit-1-24-/320521829837?cmd=ViewItem&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4aa096fdcd

I find the hood, I remembered that I have the Vanishing Point Challenger in my stash. Well left the kit and the headlights!

57Chrysler300_72.jpg

Hey Unky, I think I have a 57 300-c, Is That what You Need? ? ?

Are you going to the IPMS show, Manana. . .?

I would like to build something for this one but I know that I have too many real car projects to do that I wouldn't have time right now to work on one.

The Trans Am Challenger took 9 years to complete. The other projects won't take that long but they still will keep me buzy.

Dave

I did not think it would be that hard to find a 37 ford truck for this challenge....its proving to be frustrating but i also havent been able to get to the local stores. :blink:

I wouldn't think there should be any problem finding a '37 Ford Pickup especially with Revell just reissuing it about 6 weeks ago.

Dave

I wouldn't think there should be any problem finding a '37 Ford Pickup especially with Revell just reissuing it about 6 weeks ago.

Dave

I purchased mine from Salem "Leasure Hobbies" two weeks ago. But... I got there the day they arrived! It takes time to get stock into the shops and depends on if the shop choose to bother and order a few. :lol:

Kiddos and Kiddettes, we're down to the final drawing available for the Challenge. Once this pieces of artwork is assigned, we will no longer be assigning pieces. If you still wish to participate in the Challenge you will need to find the artwork on your own.

Who will be the lucky person to get the finial official piece of Artwork for the Challenge?

Have fun building.

Dave