Model Cars Magazine Forum

The Jairus Watson Artwork Challenge

Fletch

I finally got my kit for my project. It doesn't feature major modification like some. Must be from one of the days when Jairus was controlling himself better and not letting his imagination run wild. The body work looks like dechroming and stretching the rear wheel wells. I've got the parts figured out except for the engine. I'm going to use the wheels and tires from the Phantom Vicky. The interior will be fairly stock with a liberal amount of Mustang added such as the buckets added. The engine is a challenge. I recognize the blower scoop from the early Revell funnys. I just need to locate one. I'm sure I have one somewhere. Here's my project car.

I finally got my kit for my project. It doesn't feature major modification like some. Must be from one of the days when Jairus was controlling himself better and not letting his imagination run wild. The body work looks like dechroming and stretching the rear wheel wells. I've got the parts figured out except for the engine. I'm going to use the wheels and tires from the Phantom Vicky. The interior will be fairly stock with a liberal amount of Mustang added such as the buckets added. The engine is a challenge. I recognize the blower scoop from the early Revell funnys. I just need to locate one. I'm sure I have one somewhere. Here's my project car.

post-416-12727384232575_thumb.jpg

We are now at 65 Entries and have reached the Official Cut-Off for the Jairus Watson Artwork Challenge.

The deadline to complete your builds is Saturday March 26, 2011 at midnight PST.

If you are unable to attend the 2011 Pacific NW Model Car Fest in Portland March 26th the email address to submit your entry photo(s) is watsonartwork@gmail.com

If you have any question(s) pertaining to the Challenge please don't hesitate to ask either Jairus or myself, we will be happy to answer them for you.

Dave

Woo I finally got my 37 ford for the build now...the challenge to get all the extra parts. And here is my goal...

37Fordtruckrod1.jpg

Seems like the engine will work, and got to find seat material.

Edited by Kaleb

I'm not participating in the challenge, but here are some Jarius Watson builds that I've done in the past.

File0009-vi.jpg

DSCN0799-vi.jpg

IMG_4438-vi.jpg

File0005-vi.jpg

DSCN4894-vi.jpg

File0008-vi.jpg

DSCN0109-vi.jpg

Lyle, rick here have to ask you this. on the 49/50 ford pickup did you have to add on to the frame. or did just make a new back haft. do you have any picture of the frame. I started one because i always want to build one of those. And being a fan of Jarius and have done three of his cars already. i did the VW delivery, the VW double cab, and a 61 ford pickup. so any info. would be nice. thank papafo :lol:

well i got lucky and steve kohler at s&s resins had a 28'-29' phaeton body so i got it on the way should be here any day now and matt aka highway is helping me out with the 32' parts i need and a parts pack caddy engine do to a trade so as soon as everything arrives i'll be getting started now i just need the headers and the stacks from replicas and miniatures(thanks for telling me where to find those jarius) so i should be getting some build pics up soon.

That illustration was not done of an existing model. It was drawn for Rod & Custom of a mostly stock bodied 1963 Fairlane and R&C decided not to print it for unknown reasons.

Unfortunately there is not a known kit of a 1963 Fairlane, only a 1964 (The Revell Thunderbolt). However resin bodies are available for that Revell kit or the original kit can be modified by a talented modeler as all the major elements are there with little effort, patience and evergreen plastic. This is why it is called modeling.

Or, you could trade with someone...

Do you mean like this????MVC-023S-vi.jpg I built this one about 10 years ago, and I have another one to do.

Dave,

So this one is not in your stack then?

29phae72dpi-vi.jpg

:lol:

i built something similar a while back,if you do build it start with a 27' ford sedan delivery. thatll give you just about everything youll need. if you need help with where to make the cuts feel free to PM me,ill post a photo in a bit

i built something similar a while back,if you do build it start with a 27' ford sedan delivery. thatll give you just about everything youll need. if you need help with where to make the cuts feel free to PM me,ill post a photo in a bit

actually i have that piece of artwork for the build and s&s resins had a 29' phaeton body and i picked it up will try and get pics up soon.

• 2 weeks later...

The great thing about this challenge is the number of kits that are being built that serve as inspiration. While I often look at the drawings and think I ought to do that some day, I never do. This has shown me how doable many of these builds are to accomplish. Some of the drawings that I ignored initially I now look at and think, that's cool.

I have my own JWAC Challenge car I need to get started on. Hopefully I'll be there in a month.

Keep up the good work!

Mike

I have the seafoam green '64 Ford that is posted above. My plan is to swap in a late model Mustang interior and merge the Mustang and the Thunderbolt's chassis. I need to find the right rubber and wheels as well as the motor.

Mike

I have the seafoam green '64 Ford that is posted above. My plan is to swap in a late model Mustang interior and merge the Mustang and the Thunderbolt's chassis. I need to find the right rubber and wheels as well as the motor.

Mike

I'm gonna follow this one.....I LOVE Lyles build...but the color is just too bright. Look at a parts pack 427 ford, I think Jairus used Pegasis wheels on this one too. Send J a pm...he will let you know.

IMG_0640.jpg