Model Cars Magazine Forum

The Jairus Watson Artwork Challenge

Fletch

Here's a question - Is simply posting your completed model photos in this thread the way to submit for the contest??:(

Dave Fletcher is just fine! He spent the whole weekend, Friday - Sunday afternoon at the Portland Roadster Show hosting the model car contest. (bet he is tired :D ) Today he's mostlikely back at work and I am sure... ready and willing to answer your question this afternoon.

As for those building long distance entries, my guess would be to take some nice "glamor shots" and post them here. We can then take prints to the show where the judging will be held. I have been asked to judge so my suggestion would be to take the best picture at the same angle as the drawing was produced. In my viewpoint, it is only that angle which I will judge how closely the build matches the art. Other judges will grade based on the standards I suppose. With additional details only being the cream on top of the banana split!

I've got to meet Jairus someday.... (Just a little sucking up there).

Ah, Thanks, but you'd only be disappointed.... ;)

I started off tonight to work on the exhaust and instead I ended up wiring the engine. Oh well, it needed done anyway.

Here is the start.

DSCN4757.jpg

DSCN4762.jpg

The little dizzy with coil wire.

DSCN4760.jpg

Almost there. Getting them wires on the right fished back behind everything was a pain!

DSCN4764.jpg

And here it is finished.

DSCN4766.jpg

I got the wires on the left pushed down for a little sag and to clear a pipe that is to be put on in the future.

This was the easiest wiring job I've done so far. All of the wires cooperated and went to their homes. I'm just glad that it is a 4 instead of 8 cylinder!

Later-

Edited by Modlbldr

The weather is still not cooperating with me. Just took these a few minutes ago.

DSCN4785.jpg

DSCN4786.jpg

DSCN4787.jpg

Been getting this "Liquid Sunshine" for weeks. Doesn't the weather know I have a deadline to meet? Or, maybe it does.

Gonna have to get out to the hobby room and paint anyway real soon. Maybe tomorrow. I'll be done with painting the bathroom by then. Then most of the day will be mine.

Later-

well I got the new beetle NewBeetle.jpg

I started with the revell snap kit because that is what I had on hand. looked pretty straight forward at first blush. but after studying the artwork it appears to have a slight wide body look to it so I added some plastic around the wheel wells and the rocker panel.next up hand formed aluminum front spoilers after that the pegasus wheels didn't look right as is (17")so I got some sleeves and they looked better.the exhaust dumps were a head scratcher I ended up using acrylic nail filler (thank you for the technique tutorial)and drilling out the holes then carving the actual shape.I bought an old testors porsche for the rear spoiler,which I added a filler piece instead of the grille that would be there normally. I also added strips of plastic around all the window frames so I could add my own windows.after a little bodywork sanding and shaping I threw down some primer sanded a little more putty ,more primer ,slight sanding good enough primed with white primer then went to some gloss white for the stripes a light gloss over the white before taping the stripes. sat down to tape off the stripes and that dang yellow plastic bled through and I swear it wasn't there before the gloss coat.after two coats of B.I.N. primer and the whole white/gloss coats I got the stripes taped off.now the number one reason I don't finish a lot comes down to painting so I decided to use my airbrush for the blue. it came out great with two coats through the air brush I was pleased I am going to get this thing done before the new deadline.after the blue had dried I took out the old can of gloss coat sprayed on two medium coats and was two feet away from the dehydrater the bottom fell off the tamiya paint stand which I caught in mid air however the body decided to follow suit and jumped off the stand and somehow landed on all six sides .so here are some progress shots. :lol:

deathnell196.jpg

deathnell199.jpg

deathnell209.jpg

deathnell210.jpg

deathnell211.jpg

I will finish on time! what could go wrong?

Edited by randx0

Man, Randy. That thing was beautiful too. It's a shame that happened.

I was beginning to think that I was the only one left building. Good to see I've got company.

Tonight's progress is taping off the interior panels for the Coral paint TOMORROW, no matter what! Then I'll get the PE window switches in place.

I'm going to wash the body first thing in the morning and get a coat of primer on it to see where I stand. I know that I still have body work to do on the side scoops on the doors.

DSCN4789.jpg

I also began the exhaust work tonight. I got two pieces bent identically and they will somehow be joined into one collector then into the stinger.

That will come tomorrow night.

DSCN4788.jpg

I'm hoping for decent weather tomorrow. Otherwise, I'm cranking the heat in the hobby room and spraying anyway.

Later-

Edited by Modlbldr

Man, Randy. That thing was beautiful too. It's a shame that happened.

I was beginning to think that I was the only one left building. Good to see I've got company.

Tonight's progress is taping off the interior panels for the Coral paint TOMORROW, no matter what! Then I'll get the PE window switches in place.

I'm going to wash the body first thing in the morning and get a coat of primer on it to see where I stand. I know that I still have body work to do on the side scoops on the doors.

I also began the exhaust work tonight. I got two pieces bent identically and they will somehow be joined into one collector then into the stinger.

I'm hoping for decent weather tomorrow. Otherwise, I'm cranking the heat in the hobby room and spraying anyway.

Later-

Thank you,and good luck to you !

Guys, you might think you are the only one building but remember... there are about 10 members of Scale Auto Builders Association who are building/have already completed their entries! Most of these guys are older, rarely on the computer, and have many years of experience building. Not to mention they will be at the show with their cars. So.... take excellent pictures of your completed project and post it here or email to Dave Fletcher.

While I am not able to complete my build... we are still looking at 20 - 30 entries! B)

Jairus-

I was sure that I wasn't the only one out there but it was getting lonely. I may be able to get my kit transported to the contest..if the weather and my honey do list would cooperate. It's raining again today and I am still putting my bedroom and bathroom back together. Then I have a little tree to plant and a garden bed to build today. But, I do have the heater in the model room going. Gonna get out there some time today.

Later-

Well, still more rainy weather. But I've kept my promise to myself and got the interior painted with the Coral blue paint. I untaped the seats but the body parts that are supposed to be metal are still taped off to get a mist coat of clear green over the blue.

DSCN4790.jpg

I also replaced the gear shifter with a straight pin that I bent to shape.

DSCN4791.jpg

I also primed all of the body parts and can see that I've got a bit more work to do on it.

It's progress.

Later-

• 2 weeks later...

Man, Mike that paint turned out SMOOTH. Looks great.

Unfortunately I hit two of the most busiest months (Mar and Apr) than I've had in a long time and I obviously didn't finish mine, but I'm still working on it until it's completed.

Later-

So, I bet you all thought I had forgotten about you and the Jairus Watson Artwork Challenge! Honestly, life has been hectic of late, but no matter how hectic you don't let others down. Anyway, the end of the Jairus Watson Artwork Challenge is quickly coming to an end. Here is the plan, starting this evening and ending at Midnight (12am) Pacific Daylight Savings time on Friday April 15th, 2011 submit photos of your completed build to JWAC2011@gmail.com. Submit at least 1 photo that best replicates the artwork that you received at the start of the Challenge ie:attempt to photograph your build from the same angle and orientation of the artwork. Remember the object of the Challenge is to best replicate the original artwork, the same thing needs to apply to the photo(s) that you submit.

Over the weekend of April 16-17, Jairus, James Warkentin and myself will compare your photos to the original artwork, the build the we feel best replicates the artwork will be declared the winner of the Jairus Watson Artwork Challenge. The winner will be notified and posted here on the MCM Forum no later the 9PM Pacific Daylight Savings Time April 17th, 2011.

Again, email your entry photo(s) to JWAC2011@gmail.com no later then 12AM (midnight) Pacific Daylight Savings Time Friday April 15th, 2011. We are looking forward to seeing your completed builds and hoping you seriously challenge us when it comes to judging your entries.

Fletch

Well, I won't finish in time but I thought that I'd post tonight's work on my Beetle. I spent a few hours bending and re-bending solder for my exhaust. Here is where I'm at with it.

DSCN4803.jpg

DSCN4804.jpg

DSCN4805.jpg

DSCN4807.jpg

DSCN4808.jpg

I still need to add the P.E. header flanges, collector and the stinger pipe. Once I start all of that on my next session I'll do the fine tuning to get a bit more ground clearance for the exhaust. It won't be much due to the low ride height and the exhaust having to clear the bumper. The bumper will be able to be raised a bit , but not much without interfering with the engine boot. I also have some paint overspray to clean up on the engine. More in next post.

Later-

Edited by Modlbldr

I also spent some time tonight working on the seat belts, although I didn't take any photos of them.

I had a problem with some red plastic that I'd used to attach the whale tail to the engine boot. It kept wanting to bleed through my white primer so I shot a light coat of silver on it. Hopefully when I put my next coat of primer on it won't show. Although I am not going to finish in time for the contest, I am still enjoying this build and plan to stick on it until it's done. I hope everyone else had fun and I look forward to seeing the builds.

Later-

Coming down to the wire, less the 30 hours before the clock strikes Midnight on Friday April 15th Pacific time. There are a few entries in the email bag, let's see how many more we can add in the next day or so. I know Jairus, James and myself are looking forward to you making it difficult for us to determine the winner.

Fletch