Model Cars Magazine Forum

1958 Pontiac Ambulance

chrismooney

Yield to the right!! Its complete an R&R 1958 Pontiac Ambulance. Obtained from Steve at Star Models (great service fast shipping) the real car this model is copied after is a 58 Superior Pontiac on the Bonneville base body. Superior built Ambulances on mostly Cadillac and Pontiac chassis. This model r represents a Raised roof “High top†ambulance that was popular with Fire Depts. and Rescue Squads. On to the model… the body was not a bad casting with some clean up. The R&R kits come with body, interior (a so so copy of the ecto-1 with the Pontiac interior tub grafted to the front), frame, chromed bumpers, head, and tail lights. No emergency lights come with the kit and all Lights and Sires were added by me. Its built stock with the exception of me modifying the rear with a cabinet. Paint is Krylon Ivory white with Krylon Hunter Green roof and trim. Trim is all Bare Metal Foil. Wheels are 53 Cadillac hub caps from the Revell 49 merc. Emergency lights are from various kits Sire is from the Ecto-1 kit with a Red jewel added for a light. A White MARS light along with the roof beacon from the Revell Peterbilt Pumper. The Spot lights were taken from the Maisto Die Cast 56 Buick Highway patrol car. Rear lights are big rig marker lights.

models113-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

models105-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

models106-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

models107-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

models109-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

models110-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

models111-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

models112-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

models114-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

Stunning! The attention to detail is mind blowing. Seeing this makes me wanna see if I can go find that 1:1 I found a year ago one county over from me. Great work and keep 'em wonderful rarities comin'! :lol:

Jason please find it... I would love to buy one... find out if its for sale.

Was this it by chance???

958PontiacSuperChiefAmbulance1-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

Edited by chrismooney

Well Chris you are in luck. I found the car(s) (forgot my digi tho) in Tipton County, TN, no that's not the one, BUT the ones I found (from my G.Caravan's Windscreen at least) is a 1956 Pontiac Hearse. Along with it off in the pasture and woods, there was a 1958 Pontiac Flower Car, 1955 Oldsmobile Ambulance, 1954 Olds Hearse, and even a 1955 Chevy Ambulance( I could barely contain myself then!!). When I knocked on the guy's door. What did he tell he had in the barn?? Not 1 but 2(!) 1958 Pontiac Ambulances both were locally owned (Shelby County, TN) and on a somber note. NOT FOR SALE! They were 2 yrs ago but the original owner died (the guy's father) and now his son won't part with them. So I guess they are going to rust away out in the woods, and the barn they sit in. There was also several other old cars ranging from Fords, Hudsons, Packards, to a 1955 Lincoln Zephyr (I believe). I tried and next time I'll make sure the Digi is with me. He said I could come back and to photograph them for reference material. Sorry, broke my heart as well. :lol::D

Well Chris you are in luck. I found the car(s) (forgot my digi tho) in Tipton County, TN, no that's not the one, BUT the ones I found (from my G.Caravan's Windscreen at least) is a 1956 Pontiac Hearse. Along with it off in the pasture and woods, there was a 1958 Pontiac Flower Car, 1955 Oldsmobile Ambulance, 1954 Olds Hearse, and even a 1955 Chevy Ambulance( I could barely contain myself then!!). When I knocked on the guy's door. What did he tell he had in the barn?? Not 1 but 2(!) 1958 Pontiac Ambulances both were locally owned (Shelby County, TN) and on a somber note. NOT FOR SALE! They were 2 yrs ago but the original owner died (the guy's father) and now his son won't part with them. So I guess they are going to rust away out in the woods, and the barn they sit in. There was also several other old cars ranging from Fords, Hudsons, Packards, to a 1955 Lincoln Zephyr (I believe). I tried and next time I'll make sure the Digi is with me. He said I could come back and to photograph them for reference material. Sorry, broke my heart as well. :(B)

Thanks for the info.... I have a few friends in the PCS (Professional Car Society) who could use that info.... Please get some photos if you can.

Very nice work, Chris. I know R&R kits can be a bit tough, but a lot of them will build nicely with some massaging.

Jason- keep all of us posted if he decides to sell any of those cars. I think it's safe to say that amongst us or contacts in the 1:1 world, that many of them would find good homes, and I second the request for some pictures.

Charlie Larkin