Model Cars Magazine Forum

MPC Chuck Miller's Fire Truck

Yep, Got it for my birthday. 3/8/10

Round2 is also doing a special version with some extras. PE front wheels, and some other goodies.

Check out Model roundups web site for all the info on it.

BTW,it is a cool kit. Is there something specific you want to know about the kit?

OK, I took a few pics of the Fire truck kit for you Robert.

STA70416.jpg

STA70415.jpg

Pics of the box sides.

STA70417.jpg

Postcard & mini-box

STA70418.jpg

Chrome tree. Sorry I don't want to take it out of the bag yet.

STA70420.jpg

frame & engine.

STA70421.jpg

STA70422.jpg

More body parts, and the awesome pie crust slicks.

STA70423.jpg

Close-up of the drag slicks.

Hope this helps you out. But you need to get this kit. B)

OOPS, I forgot to take a pic of the red clear parts and windshield.

And I just noticed that the rear wheels shown on the box, are different than

what comes in the kit. Hummm,

The slicks are great, I wish I could get a bag full.

Edited by RJWood

YEP kinda nice having it back & restored. Picked mine up @ Detroit Autorama back in Feb & had Chuck sign it along with his book that I picked up there also.

John Greczula was there, we talked quite a bit when we weren't being distracted by certain female persusion.

The M&H's are worth the price of admission alone!!! Worth picking up!!!!

Todd

• 1 year later...

Not exactly new, but still current. Just had the chance to pick one up, and I really like what I see.

1-vi.jpg

2-vi.jpg

3-vi.jpg

4-vi.jpg

5-vi.jpg

First off, yes, the engine is not a Ford as in the 1:1, it's a Small Block Chevy decorated to look like a Ford. But it does come with a really nice Roots supercharger. It's fairly small, and I'm thinking it would look really good on a Flathead. B) A red beacon sits atop the scoop- the beacon lens itself comes from the clear red sprue, which is the same you'd find in an AMT big rig kit, so that means you'll end up with a spare red lens and a TON of red lenses for other projects.

Interestingly, MPC includes a small, postcard-sized photo of the 1:1. In this picture, the truck has six-spoke spindle-mounts up front and a Ford 'buggy spring', while the kit has a coil-sprung front axle and spoked dragster front wheels with 'O-ring' tires. I don't know for sure, but this kit was based on either the King T or Wild Dream kit originally, so the front suspension might be a compromise because of that. Otherwise, it looks every bit the part of the 1:1.

Kit comes with all sorts of cool parts- a plated 'foot' accelerator pedal, the aformentioned blower and dragster front wheels, a 'monacle' windscreen with clear or smoke-tint panes, somve very nice five-spoke mags and radius rods, and even a stock Model T radiator shell in addition to the Fire Truck piece. The heavily-modified T frame would work under all sorts of T-based hot rod projects, and the rear slicks are the Round 2 MPC pie crust pieces with printed lettering.Should be a pretty cool OOB build, and has a bunch of cool parts for other hot rod projects.

Chuck, Chuck Miller built this little truck in a small shop off of Jefferson Ave, in River Rouge, called "Styline Customs" In 1969 or so he introduced this car at the Detroit Autorama, My sister olga modeled with this car at that show. i did little odd jobs for him years later at the shop.Buffing cars out, doin the chrome polishing, little stuff like that. But it was good expierience.The car still exists, it's owned by a guy in Florida now. It was at this years AutoRama.(2011)

I'm almost finished with one of these, but it is more accurate than out of the box.... :D

There is one major problem with the reissue kit, the tool makers didn't get part of the headers open, so every kit that was made has short shoted headers. I brought this problem up to Round 2, so they are trying to figure out what happened.

Here's a breif history of this kit, and where it all began....

Chuck was correct in saying that the chassis, and engine block came from the 1963 issue of the Tognotti T kit. A mostly stock bodied full fendered T that had a small block chevy engine, Jag rear, and really nice diamond tuck-n-roll upholstery.

In 1968 MPC used this chassis and fender assembly (this time with stock running boards) to create the Carl Casper Paddy Wagon. The problem here with this practise of "getting more miles" from a mold is the fact that the chassis is wrong for the paddy wagon with the Jag rear. The front axle is ok, but the paddy wagon used a Ford 9 inch w/ buggy spring. Another thing is they carried over the small block chevy block, but made to look like a big block Ford.... :blink:

A year later in 1969 MPC used the same Tognotti T chassis (and sbc engine) to create Chuck Miller's Fire Truck. Now, about the only things correct to the 1:1 is the body, interior, and the American LaFrance grille shell. The rest of the carried over parts are all wrong, so building a true replica will take some effort. MPC later changed the rear wheels, added their wide slicks, and omitted the ladders to become the Outcast, this version was done twice with only decal changes.

Here's a few pics of the real 1:1....

EngineCo13.jpg

1967-ford-c-cab-fire-truck.jpg

scan0005.jpg

Here it is at Detroit earlier this year....

1007sr_06_odetroit_autorama_builder_of_the_yearfire_truck.jpg

Edited by RatRod

Saw the 1;1 at R&M Restorations in Chatham, Ontario, Canada on our way to the Detroit NNL this year. Unfortunately didn't have the camera with me when we went in and we closed the place as we looked around so we had no chance to go back to get pics. Picked the reissued kit up at the NNL so was really kicking myself for not having taken the camera in when I had the chance. Thanks for posting the info and pics of the real thing and thanks for your in box review.

I built the Original issue MANY years ago!

I have one of the black "Outcast" issue to use for restoring the FireTruck.

And Yes, I Want at least One of the new re-issue

I Was curious on how they were going to return the red Rotator cap to the kit.

I have the Blueprinter issue with this in it. It said one of the kit companies

Owned or commissioned the build, and the other tooled the kit

Or was it that though MPC issued it AMT tooled it??

It included the shot of it in front of the Station with the Old Mack CF!

Edited by Edsel-Dan

It was co-designed by an AMT designer, but as far as I know, it was always an MPC kit. In fact the King T/Wild Dream kit (which this was based upon) was originally sold under the AMT name, but the kit and tooling were from MPC even then.

That's true Chuck, the first double kit version of the King T/ Wild Dream was done in an AMT box, from what I have heard, the guy who started MPC worked for AMT, and he was told that he could start the other company, but all the "new" kits had to be sold under the AMT banner for the first year..... :wacko: Maybe back then, but I'm thinkin' a deal like that wouldn't fly to well today.... :D

• 5 months later...

Just picked up an original version of the kit today, and thought it might be fun to compare the differences.

First off is the box- it is the narrow type used by MPC into the early '70's. The bottom panel was revised for the reissue- it now bears an M&H logo, where the original mentioned the slicks being hollow.

Said slicks are the MPC hollow Goodyears with engraved lettering.

The stock Model T radiator shell included with the 2008 reissue is not present in the original.

Only a clear window is provided in the orignal kit.

The reissued kit's front tires are molded much better.

The original kit is molded in red plastic, and the headers are not short shot!

The original's decal sheet consists only of the gold stripes and lettering.

The red flasher is different- the reissue uses the flasher cone from AMT's big-rig kit clear red sprue.

Instead of a small card with info on the 1:1 Fire Truck, the original includes a small print of a 1908 Packard Limo (?).

Aside from the front tires, molding quality was about the same as on the reissue. But the only the red plastic parts are bagged, so there were some tire burns on the clear and chrome sprues.

Edited by Michigan Madman

Would the C cab body be of any use on a stock T using one of the AMT 3 in 1 kits or is it boogered up from its use on a hot rod? I'm thinking it might be a cheaper way to build a C cab Ford van than hunting down one of those 1913 kits on ebay.

Edited by Aaronw

Didn't Chuck Miller win the Ridler award with the real one sometime in the 60's?

Yes he did, in 1968.

Would the C cab body be of any use on a stock T using one of the AMT 3 in 1 kits or is it boogered up from its use on a hot rod? I'm thinking it might be a cheaper way to build a C cab Ford van than hunting down one of those 1913 kits on ebay.

For a stocker you'd pretty much be out of luck- the cowl and sides aren't even close to stock, though you might be able to use the roof. It's more of an artistic interpretation of a C-cab van than anything.

I have a re-issue coming. Just have to go pick it up.

Most likely when MPC modified this into the 'Outcast' the lost the tool insert for

the original Dome lens. Instead of retooling it, they just include the AMT Semi clear red lens tree.

Cheaper!

I want to say, the original red dome cap was closer to correct. Tall & Skinny

But it has been a Long time since buying & building that original Fire Truck Show rod issue!

The Original decal sheet did not have all the pin-stripes. I do remember that

Edited by Edsel-Dan

I've got two of the recent reissues, it looks pretty straight forward to build and has a lot of parts that will be useful for other projects. I haven't decided what to do will one of them but one will be turned in to a pulling tractor like one of these.

cay87j-bro.jpg

bg00j-nel.jpg

Yes he did, in 1968.

For a stocker you'd pretty much be out of luck- the cowl and sides aren't even close to stock, though you might be able to use the roof. It's more of an artistic interpretation of a C-cab van than anything.

Thanks, that is what I expected to hear. I'll just keep watching ebay then or hope Round 2 keeps digging out the old Model T kits.