Model Cars Magazine Forum

I found a cheaper alternative to Evercoat Euro Soft

I went to my local Finishmaster outlet on my lunch break to buy a new can of Evercoat Euro Soft polyester glazing putty. I've tried the Bondo polyester glazing putty in the tube and wasn't satisfied with the results so I went to get a fresh can of Euro Soft. They only stocked the large (5 lb?) cans but they offered me an alternative.

Finishmaster is now large enough to carry a private label product and there's is marketed under the Smart brand. They sold me a 32oz can of Smart Premium Finishing Putty with a tube of hardener for $13.55 plus sales tax. That's about half the cost of Euro Soft!!! :lol::lol:

I'll be trying it soon, so I'll post an update afterwards. Check the internet or your local directory to see if you have a Finishmaster in your area.

I may try that; there's a location very close to me...the Bondo professional tube of polyester glazing putty kicks a bit slower with the blue Evercoat catalyst. Since the putty always dries out before the catalyst, you usually have plenty when the container dries out.

Evercoat was over $30 last time I got some. Never again, considering I never use more than half before it's dried out.

Love the Evercoat stuff and never minded paying the price, but then a quart lasts for years. One trick is to transfer both the putty and the catalyst into glass jars. Plastic containers are porous and will always allow the solvents to escape. I have had also had the original containers fail fairly quickly(after a couple of years) with disastrous results to my bench. Once I started putting it in glass jars, it lasted almost forever.

Please keep us updated on the Finish master line . I looked at you're external link and discovered in Richmond Virginia that the Virginia Paint company is the local jobber . They're easy to find as they are near the old Coca Cola plant here . Ed Shaver