Model Cars Magazine Forum

Monogram Ford F-250

Yes you heard right, Monogram has finally decided to once again offer the 1/24th scale Ford F-250 kit, and I was on the ball to get one (I actually preordered back in January! :lol: )

Here's the box art, which I rather enjoy.

SDC10577.jpg

SDC10578.jpg

One standard instruction booklet:

SDC10579.jpg

One very interesting set of decals (love the "for sale" signs and rear window vinyl!)

SDC10581.jpg

Parts in the box:

SDC10583.jpg

Clear parts look great:

SDC10586.jpg

All five tires, which unfortunately are plain (unlike the past issues').

SDC10588.jpg

And of course the taillights.

SDC10593.jpg

Edited by YJIslander

Chrome tree looks great (including incorrect 5-bolt wheels), though most of the parts will be stripped anyways. :o

SDC10587.jpg

Extended cab:

SDC10592.jpg

And of course the rest of the parts trees:

SDC10589.jpg

SDC10590.jpg

SDC10591.jpg

SDC10594.jpg

I don't have the past issue of the F-250, only the F-350 dually, but I assume the kit is the same as the past issue (minus the decals I would believe). I do like that they've included decals for the emblems and driving light covers, since I hated painting them when I was younger. Luckily though they still have the raised script, so I can save the decals for another kit. I love the detail and number of parts they have in this kit, and since it's a truck, the customization options are endless!

By the way, I bought this from Hobbylinc, so I don't know what other sites/stores are selling it (though I assume many will be).

I was wondering if they mighta fixed the 1/2 ton wheels in it. Oh well

I have the first issue myself so won't be going after this one. far as I see the kit is identical to the 350 except the bed sides and wheels. So comparing it to your 350 to check for changes could be done.

Yea! It's finally out! It looks good. To bad I just spent my extra $$$ at my lhs the other day. ;) Oh well, when I order the 92 syclone I'll pick one of these up.

Just to let you guys know, I hate fords(least favorite truck), but I still want this one because if it's a truck, I want it. :)

Edited by bowtiebadboy333

Yea! It's finally out! It looks good. To bad I just spent my extra $$$ at my lhs the other day. ;) Oh well, when I order the 92 syclone I'll pick one of these up.

Just to let you guys know, I hate fords(least favorite truck), but I still want this one because if it's a truck, I want it. :)

funny I'm the same hate fords to death, but I've got more ford truck model kits than I do GM's and dodges.

decals are sweet BTW.

Edited by Dukefan69'

Well lookin' at your kit and comparing it to my Original Issue Ford F250 (blue and black moldings) and reissue (white molding not red) F350 Dually they are identical except the bedsides (suspension and tires too on the F350 Dually). Ashame Revellogram didn't fix the 1/2 Ton Rims as Rick pointed out, but on a positive note, this makes it much easier for me to get 3 more to build my F250 and F350 Series work trucks. Jus' gotta track down another 2 Ford F350's now. Thanx

those wagon style wheels, correct for an F250 or not are one of the reasons i'm buying the kit. out of the box they are a good looking wheel and i've seen some nice builds of this kit using them. interestingly there is a set of slotted style mags in the '80 Bronco kit that are 6-lug.

Yup, I have the brochure for the '88 so they are correct style, just wrong lug count (F-250 LD had 6-bolt, F-250 HD had 8-bolt.) And that would be the Revell kit you are referring to. The AMT kit has a decent set of wagon wheels with separate hubs/lug nuts which are also 6-lug. Of course, since they are 1/25th they may scale down to 14" wheels.

seeing the decal sheet with the POW/MIA decals is a big plus!

Dave

I know, I'd say it's one of the better decal sheets I've seen in terms of optional decals!

I think I have one of those from the first time around in the cellar. I just wish Monogram did these in 1/25 so I could use them with everything else I have. They're nice kits, though, and I just try to display 1/24 and and 1/25 stuff not mixed together. Not as easy as it seems.

Charlie Larkin

Never seen a 250 with 6 lugs only 8 theres even an old heap of one riding around in this bodystyle thats 8 lug

the 5 lug wheels in the kit Are for a 150. Not sure about what the correct wheel style for a 250 is but have seen these on a 150 a lot

Edited by Rick Schmidt

Never seen a 250 with 6 lugs only 8 theres even an old heap of one riding around in this bodystyle thats 8 lug

the 5 lug wheels in the kit Are for a 150. Not sure about what the correct wheel style for a 250 is but have seen these on a 150 a lot

It was just the 2WD Regular cab F-250 LD (6600 lb GVWR). I'm sure most were either the 7700lb GVWR, the 4WD LD, or the HD, all of which had the 8-lug pattern.

The 250 came only with the steel wheels with optional wheel covers.

After looking at my brochure, it appears the six-lug trucks used the steel wheels with the hubcaps that only covered the hub and lug nuts.

Edited by YJIslander

• 2 weeks later...

If I recall correctly, the ones on my F350 are Goodyear Eagle GTs.

They were the Goodyear GT Radials just like the larger rear tires included in all the 3 in 1 muscle car kits used for the "Street" verisons with the lift blocks.

They were the Goodyear GT Radials just like the larger rear tires included in all the 3 in 1 muscle car kits used for the "Street" verisons with the lift blocks.

That's it, I knew they were Goodyears and had GT in the name. Course I didn't have a picture to be sure.

Ah, that makes more sense. :lol: I'll have to do some tire measuring and wheel test fitting...

It was just the 2WD Regular cab F-250 LD (6600 lb GVWR). I'm sure most were either the 7700lb GVWR, the 4WD LD, or the HD, all of which had the 8-lug pattern.

250 came only with the steel wheels with optional wheel covers.

After looking at my brochure, it appears the six-lug trucks used the steel wheels with the hubcaps that only covered the hub and lug nuts.

All Ford 3/4 tons up to '10 are 8 lug, regardles of light or heavy duty. The only exeption is the '97-'04 light duty, which used 7 lug wheels. The only 3/4 tons in a recent truck that I know of are the '88-'00 light duty C/K 2500 Chevrolet/GMC, and even then those could be either 6 or 8 depending on brake option.

All Ford 3/4 tons up to '10 are 8 lug, regardles of light or heavy duty. The only exeption is the '97-'04 light duty, which used 7 lug wheels. The only 3/4 tons in a recent truck that I know of are the '88-'00 light duty C/K 2500 Chevrolet/GMC, and even then those could be either 6 or 8 depending on brake option.

You're probably right, I just saw this brochure page and it's somewhat blurry, but it looks like the 2WD F250 LD has it mentioned as having 6 holes (6 lug nuts). (where it says "wheels: type/rim size")

http://www.lov2xlr8.no/brochures/ford/88ftruck/bilder/15.jpg

Or am I just seeing things? :)

I'll definitley have to get myself one of these. I've been trying to hunt one of these down for a while, and almost bought an orginal issue from my LHS before it closed down. I'm envisioning a 4x4 single cab conversion, and maybe even a fuel injected 351, and add the "West Coast" mirrors from an AMT '92 F-150 to complete the look. The nice thing about having it in plastic is not having to worry about rusted out rear wheel arches that plague nearly every 80-96 Ford truck and Bronco that resides in the rust belt, that is unless I decide to do some weathering B) . Or I could replicate my Dad's old '89 F-150 by performing the modifications stated above, but substituting a 302 for the 351. Maybe I'll have to grab two!

Edited by Casey429

I'll definitley have to get myself one of these. I've been trying to hunt one of these down for a while, and almost bought an orginal issue from my LHS before it closed down. I'm envisioning a 4x4 single cab conversion, and maybe even a fuel injected 351, and add the "West Coast" mirrors from an AMT '92 F-150 to complete the look. The nice thing about having it in plastic is not having to worry about rusted out rear wheel arches that plague nearly every 80-96 Ford truck and Bronco that resides in the rust belt, that is unless I decide to do some weathering B) . Or I could replicate my Dad's old '89 F-150 by performing the modifications stated above, but substituting a 302 for the 351. Maybe I'll have to grab two!

The 4WD Single Cab conversion is exactly what I'm doing! I have a thread going on the "on the workbench" section, but since I'm finishing up this semester I haven't had time to work on it. I'll be able to start again in about a week though. For the 4WD conversion, I'm using the front end from the '81 AMT Bronco, with some spare leaf springs (since it's going to be an F-250). You can use the AMT, or Revell/Monogram made a version as well, but with one piece for the front suspension where the AMT version has it in separate pieces. :lol:

I'm envisioning a 4x4 single cab conversion, and maybe even a fuel injected 351, and add the "West Coast" mirrors from an AMT '92 F-150 to complete the look. The nice thing about having it in plastic is not having to worry about rusted out rear wheel arches that plague nearly every 80-96 Ford truck and Bronco that resides in the rust belt, that is unless I decide to do some weathering B) . Or I could replicate my Dad's old '89 F-150 by performing the modifications stated above, but substituting a 302 for the 351. Maybe I'll have to grab two!

You mean like this:

HPIM1527.jpg

Mine doesn't have the rear wheel arch rust, because they're fiberglass :lol: , but the driver's side front has it!! I have a thread in "1:1 Truck Reference" with pics of the front and rear axles and transfer case. Here's a link to it:

http://www.modelcarsmag.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=30068

I thought when I read one of the posts in my email notification, someone mentioned the "Custom" interior option, but now I can't find it! Anyway, if anyone would need pics of the "Custom" interior, let me know, my dually is a "Custom" trim truck, and I would be glad to give you some reference pics, I may add them to my reference thread as well as the diesel engine.