Model Cars Magazine Forum

Who rides bicycles here?

I have a beach cruiser that I enjoy riding. I found it in the shrubbery on the side of my house, I think someone had stolen it and stashed it in the bushes to retrieve later, but I got to it first. (HA HA finders keepers)

It had mountain bike handle bars, but I picked up beach cruiser bars and changed them out. I ride almost every day when the weather is warm, its great exercise for my jacked-up lower back. I also pick-up aluminum cans on my daily ride, to help pay for my model kits. Now that's a win-win situation.

Edited by RJWood

I kinds ride a bicycle. It has 2 wheels anyway, but an engine and it's call a Harley-Davidson Dyna Wide Glide.

I had a tricycle for some years but last year gave to a kid suffering bad epilepsy seizures - figured he could use it better than me.

Edited by crazyjim

Harry, that bike is a Schwinn Orange Crate, retail, 180.00 in 1969! I wanted one of thos REALLY bad but I had just bought my Stingray the year before(at 84.00 with tax) and I couldn't save up enough paper route money to afford it. I STILL wish I had my Candy Blue Stingray with the Metalflake white banana seat!(I gave it to my stupid nephew, an it got stolen!!!)angry.gif

I have a '76 Raleigh Sprite 27 5-speed that my dad bought new and never rode. I have put a few thousand miles on it in the last 5 years. I just picked up an '80s Raleigh Capri 10-speed(made in USA!)that is almost like new. I also have a restoration project - an early '70s Peugeot 10 speed which is very similar to one my dad had in the late '60s. There is no carbon fiber or speed 11 or higher in my garage!! I go nuts on model cars so I don't need to go nuts with bikes. I am old school 10-speed guy through and through. The new high tech stuff is cool but it costs plenty and what the heck, I do it for the excercise and the wind in my hair - what's left of it.

In warm weather I ride 3 or 4 times a week from 10-20 miles each time. I am contemplating something longer this summer - i hope to try a 50-60 mile ride on a Saturday or something like that. My previous longest ride is 32 miles. Lance, I ain't but I do ok for a 53 year old model builder! ;)

I built this one for blowing down the bike trails in Colorado. Full rebuild, new bearings, hardware and everything. It rides like new and it rides fast. The frame and tank are early 1950s Huffman. the wheels are from the same era, the seat is late 30s, everything else is just random parts, except for the crappy repop springer fork, the crappy generic chrome fenders and the new Schwinn grips. I'm still looking for an old Schwinn springer fork with the lock to graft onto the frame, and "peaked" fenders are in it's future. I repainted the frame, wheels and fenders, and am leaving everything else patina'd for now. That metal seat is more comfortable than it looks, but I will upholster it someday. I still have a 2-speed auto. hub I need to rebuild for it. ;)

35ba3pg.jpg

2whfrdz.jpg

mu93yg.jpg

yes! a nice collection at that! Do you know any good forums besides rat rod bicycles? Jody

Hey Smart Resins-Here's the link to the Schwinn forum site.

http://www.schwinnbike.com/usa/eng/forums/index.php

This is a great place to get parts for old Schwinns.

On April 25,2010 there is the Michigan - Ann Arbor Classic Bicycle Show and Swap Meet. They say it's the best antique and classic bicycle show in the nation.

Edited by Zipper

I love bikes. All kinds of bikes. I ride to town and where ever, when ever I can. Why drive a car and pollute if you can ride a bike and get exercise. I don't have any customs but I have a a couple frames set aside for when I have the money and time to do so. I've been riding an old single speed cruiser all winter that had been given to me. Have a sigle speed road bike made from odd parts, an older mountain bike for a go getter ( street tires ) and a decent mountaun bike that can take some abuse. :D

In warm weather I ride 3 or 4 times a week from 10-20 miles each time. I am contemplating something longer this summer - i hope to try a 50-60 mile ride on a Saturday or something like that. My previous longest ride is 32 miles. Lance, I ain't but I do ok for a 53 year old model builder! :lol:

I have a "newish" Trek 21 speed mountain bike, and an old Motobecane 10 speed from back when I was a kid (mid '70s). I used to ride it all the time, sometimes for 20-30 miles at a stretch. Then a few years ago I put the Trek away for the winter... and haven't ridden since. I really don't know why. I'll have to dust that baby off and get back to riding regularly, which was probably the only good habit I had!

As far as the Motobecane, it's a really nice bike, beautiful candy blue. It's in good shape, even though I put a lot of miles on it back in the day. I wonder if it's worth anything to a collector?